Author Topic: No particular place to go!  (Read 4539 times)

Offline northup87

No particular place to go!
« on: May 05, 2021, 03:30:50 PM »
Ridin along in my automobile I spied a blank and barrel from Tom Bruce earlier this year on ALR. Mid 90s Getz B weight barrel and beautiful curly stock blank. Not really aiming for a particular style or recreation I just wanted to muttle a bunch of different likes/functionality into a rifle that would handle well and look good. I saw a Transitional rifle Ian Pratt did about 10 years ago that I liked with a unique style and took a few different cues from him.

A.J. Downey

Offline northup87

Re: No particular place to go!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 03:37:32 PM »

A.J. Downey

Offline northup87

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 03:43:32 PM »

A.J. Downey

Offline northup87

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 03:48:54 PM »
As it sits right now. Next step thimbles, entry pipe, and patchbox.

A.J. Downey

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 04:17:58 PM »
 Very good start, nice clean work and Great set of Pix. Look forward to seeing more.

Tim C.

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 06:31:53 PM »
I remember that rifle.  Your off to a great start!   
And that stock is also begging to be carved both behind, and in front of, the cheek piece. 

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 07:56:42 PM »
I see you are channeling your inner Ian Pratt.  That guy is a bad influence.   ;D
David

Offline northup87

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 07:59:54 PM »
Thank you both, Yes quite a bit of carving will happen throughout the rifle.

Just got the patchbox roughed out. Think it was part of an old lawnmower shield. Nicely beat up already.

A.J. Downey

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 09:19:59 PM »
Very nice, A. J., very nice indeed.  You going to be ready for hunting this fall?
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline northup87

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 09:37:30 PM »
Dave, I hope I can channel 1/2 as well as Ian. I will be happy with the results at that point!

Thanks Craig, It should be done and will likely be the one that goes with me. Im getting excited to see how it groups.
A.J. Downey

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 10:28:56 PM »
 OK I got'a ask; what's up with the angle iron with the holes and the file with the bent tang in it? Just fall that way or does it have a purpose?

Tim C.

Offline northup87

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 11:39:25 PM »
OK I got'a ask; what's up with the angle iron with the holes and the file with the bent tang in it? Just fall that way or does it have a purpose?

Tim C.

I had to cut a peice of the hanger angle iron for a temp exhaust hanger on a 1955 chevy I just tore down for a restoration.

I have two of the angle handle files for truing the ramrod channel after I rough it out with a gouge.

A.J. Downey

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 01:48:51 AM »
Don't worry bout the Bbl.  I have .54cal. Getz made in 1984/5 The accuracy is fantastic. 80gr 3f .535 ball .18 patch.  Will hit standard oxy. cylinder gong at 200 yd. if it hold her tight. You'll like that rifle and it's gonna be very distinctive.   Tom

Offline scottmc

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 03:42:36 AM »
I like your concept and Franken gun look.  Very realistic to me at least.  However, if you are open to any comments, I would slope both sides of the tang down to the sideplate and down to the lock if you haven't already done so.   The top of your sideplate panel and lock plate panel should take your eye right into the top of the flat above the touch hole.  In the one picture looking down the top of the tang it looks pretty flat.  I love your patchbox!
Remember Paoli!

Offline northup87

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 03:55:24 AM »
I like your concept and Franken gun look.  Very realistic to me at least.  However, if you are open to any comments, I would slope both sides of the tang down to the sideplate and down to the lock if you haven't already done so.   The top of your sideplate panel and lock plate panel should take your eye right into the top of the flat above the touch hole.  In the one picture looking down the top of the tang it looks pretty flat.  I love your patchbox!

Yes much more wood to come off all around on the gun prior to carving. Top tang area, cheek peice, bottom lock area, forearm, flutes ramrod forearm, and comb.
A.J. Downey

Offline scottmc

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2021, 04:36:12 AM »
I figured you weren't done in that area.  You're doing such a fine job on everything else, how could you miss that😁
Remember Paoli!

Offline Algae

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2021, 05:10:58 AM »
You are well on your way!! Very nice! :)

Al Jenkins

Offline northup87

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2021, 02:17:16 PM »
Patchbox face partially inlet. Next up brazing the hinge, release, and hold brackets on.

A.J. Downey

Offline alacran

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2021, 01:25:51 PM »
Enjoyed your presentation. It is going to be a sight to behold.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2021, 01:41:58 AM »
A.J., you are going to fit in right fine with that '55 Chev, old mower deck for a patchbox, and a sailboat deck for a workbench!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline northup87

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2021, 03:24:56 PM »
Sorry for the hiatus Gents, I took a little break from the build and bore down on my 55 restoration. Lots of work but its back up and running with a new heart, cleaned down to and pulled body completely off frame, new floors, traction system, two rear ends, and rebuilt back to being able to aggravate the local constable's.  

I leave for Wyoming in a couple weeks so I jumped back into the Flintlock build, not a bunch more progress but I have done some basic rough carving that needs to be cleaned up further, drilled my touch hole, and finalized my trigger. Its to the point of being a usable weapon. I have taken it out and fired it a dozen or more times and I am very happy with the accuracy of the Getz barrel (Actually it maybe the finest barrel I've shot).

I cut up an old muffler shroud yesterday and fashioned the ramrod pipes, Ill get some photos of those installed later this week.

A.J. Downey

Offline northup87

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2021, 12:20:49 AM »
Some more refinement in carving, euscheon, tack work, and thimbles today.

A.J. Downey

Offline StevenV

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2021, 01:59:57 AM »
really nice love the iron touch , patch box and hardware. Where did you get the iron trigger guard and butt plate? I have been trying to get someone to make me some iron TG and BP , willing to pay but a few say yes but never follow thru.   Steve

Offline northup87

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2021, 06:26:24 PM »
really nice love the iron touch , patch box and hardware. Where did you get the iron trigger guard and butt plate? I have been trying to get someone to make me some iron TG and BP , willing to pay but a few say yes but never follow thru.   Steve

Both came from Muzzleloader Builder Supply. The trigger guard is basically not modified from what I bought and the butt plate is a heavily modified from the musket butt plate it started life as.
A.J. Downey

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2021, 06:32:10 PM »
Very cool gun.  I especially like the patchbox.

On the '55, what is that funny looking silver thing with four holes in it top-center on the engine?  That is like no port fuel injection I have ever seen.  ;-)   Lol.  Heh, heh.