Author Topic: No particular place to go!  (Read 4537 times)

Offline northup87

Re: No particular place to go!
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2021, 07:36:08 PM »
Very cool gun.  I especially like the patchbox.

On the '55, what is that funny looking silver thing with four holes in it top-center on the engine?  That is like no port fuel injection I have ever seen.  ;-)   Lol.  Heh, heh. 

I was told it was some kind of witchcraft liquid delivery mechanism. Very old magic. Im not sure about the cloaked figure I purchased it from either, kept mumbling about antiquated designs, cold starts, and leaky seats.

Probably best to shy away from them.

A.J.
A.J. Downey

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2021, 07:42:38 PM »
Some of Ian’s work makes think “Medieval”, as does this.

I like it.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline heinz

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2021, 02:34:58 AM »
Northup87, I kept looking at that stovebolt and wondering what it reminded me of.   It finally came to me, a dirt track racer from the 60s :-)

I am sure both of those projects will finish up really well.
kind regards, heinz

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2021, 05:06:07 PM »
looking good so far. Thanks for sharing your progress.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline northup87

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2021, 02:17:04 AM »
Moved my back sight over a 32nd and filed my front sight down a 32nd. I slightly widened the top profile in the rear v notch...... its no where near esthetically done but functionally its tuned to the best if my abilities. Its as ready for the field as I can make it. 50 rounds down the tube, this last three shots at 100 yards kneeling off hand. .50 cal Getz, 70 grs ffg .490 ball with. 020 pillow ticking lightly swabbed with mink oil. I'm comfortable with it, as long as I don't flinch or drop, the gun will perform. T minus 4 days and its Wyoming bound for speed goats.

A.J. Downey

Offline Daryl

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2021, 03:12:16 AM »
Good fortune!! ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline northup87

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2021, 05:47:00 PM »
Thanks Daryl!
A.J. Downey

Offline northup87

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2021, 04:23:48 PM »
I had a beautiful trip out west! I carried the flintlock for 4 days and was able to close the distant on several stalks to within 150 yards. At one point I ranged a goat from an elevated position at 133, I nearly took the shot a dozen times well rested off a front bag, but in the end the ethics of the shot won out and I eased the hammer back to safe and enjoyed the moment the 2 mile stalk awarded. Day 5 we were notified a large snowfall was inbound for the next day around 3pm. I switched over to my white gold medallion and headed out. After days of seeing hundreds of animals we put 150 miles on the truck and 13 on foot to see none, unbeknownst to us the front had trigger a mass migration from plains to southerly wintering areas. Day 6 (Crunch time) After a hearty breakfast we split up and headed out past the 77s and spent the morning scouting. Zero animals, we moved to a different area and found 4 antelope on a flat pivot roughly 1000 yards in all directions from cover. We retreated back to discuss a possible stalk on the 4 impossible animals. At this point I had willing accepted that the beautiful trip wasn't going to include a harvest and I was ok with that. We pushed back out to utilize a Cow decoy for the stalk in blustery 22mph winds. On our way we pasted a pivot that previously contained no animals, literally filled to the rim with antelope (close to 500). Amazing how plans can change rapidly, our initial stalk emptied the large field in chaos but a further stalk 1.5 miles over a ridgline to an elevated position yielded results.
Ironically if I would have been carrying my flintlock I would have been within 75 yards and it likely would have ignited when I pulled the trigger, but at 25 degree temps the browning firing pin failed to slam home hard enough to ignite the primer.
 I will never forget the snap of 50 heads looking up as I racked in another round and the utter chaos that ensued. 315 yards later working his group up a ridgeline escape route that resembled the surface of the moon the second round struck home.
The adventure was exactly as I hoped full of drive, suffering, uncertainty, a ridiculous amount of knowledge gained, followed by a flood of adrenaline and triumph.

Just a few inches shy of Boone and Crockett he was a very large animal for our southernly unit.

Wyoming you truly are something special.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 03:16:28 PM by Dennis Glazener »
A.J. Downey

Offline Daryl

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2021, 08:32:03 PM »
Good buck!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V