Author Topic: Help in id on flintlock 1722 engraved on butt "Nicolas"  (Read 3514 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Help in id on flintlock 1722 engraved on butt "Nicolas"
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2021, 03:55:30 AM »
Hi,
I spent about 2 hours pouring over my references for clues to your gun and gun barrel.  The markings are not clear and the styling is pretty generic European, possibly French or German as everyone copied French styling during the 17th and early 18th centuries.  A little gratefulness on your part might be in order and yes, you may not get an answer here but not from lack of trying.

dave   
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2021, 04:59:45 AM »
i'm getting a feeling im not gonna find out who and where this was made..

Lots of folks in that club!  Some folks make a best guess and state it as fact. The rest live with the mystery. And often something else comes along 10-15 years later nearly identical with more clues.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mdlock

• Starting Member
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2021, 05:31:01 PM »
Yes 100% is crown over v they look to be the same.

Offline Mdlock

• Starting Member
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2021, 05:42:21 PM »
And also I am 100% thrilled with the responses i get and greatly appreciate all that anyone here does to help me.  I always have and I too also spend lots of time looking for other members as well. And to you
Hi,
I spent about 2 hours pouring over my references for clues to your gun and gun barrel.  The markings are not clear and the styling is pretty generic European, possibly French or German as everyone copied French styling during the 17th and early 18th centuries.  A little gratefulness on your part might be in order and yes, you may not get an answer here but not from lack of trying.

dave   
I have never asked for someone to thank me for helping. But if it is what you require.. Thank You Dave. I would do the same for you. Dont assume that I dont appreciate it.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2021, 10:23:49 PM »
When I first saw the name "Nicolas", I automatically thought "Bis", but I don't think that's the gunsmith here.  The blurred out last name on the lockplate  sure don't look like that.

The stocking, barrel, and hardware, however, do look very Spanish.  The lock, not so much.  The lock looks very French, and I get a French impression from the engraving "NI_OLAS  L__NC__H  A.  _______".

Looks like a French or Belgian pistol done in Spanish style, which was all the rage.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Mdlock

• Starting Member
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2021, 01:33:37 AM »
Thank you for all of your help.. All of you I really do appreciate everybody's true involvement. I will put it up for someone else to rediscover. I will add all notes on any info.