Author Topic: French chamois shot pouch and no name flat horn flask  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Dennis Daigger

French chamois shot pouch and no name flat horn flask
« on: October 26, 2020, 08:23:54 PM »
I have a Continental cape gun (.54 caliber and rifled 28 gauge) and I've dedicated these accessories to it.  The shot pouch measure drops a 1 1/8 oz of #6 shot.  For use with the cape gun I modified it by inserting two 28 gauge over powder wads in the base and it now gives me an appropriate 3/4 oz charge of #6.  I was initially using this pouch for my 16 gauge double before I found other shot flasks for it. The second measure was made for use with the 16 gauge and it drops 1 1/4 oz of #6 shot. The chamois pouch is now dedicated to the cape gun using the modified original measure.

This flat horn flask came to me as a very rusted, corroded and unusable flask.  I normally don't buy flasks that aren't right to begin with. The only cleaning I do to any of them is what is necessary to make them useable.  I got this one cheaply so its condition was not so much an issue and it did take a lot of work to make it useable.  It drops charges between 45 at the bottom end to 52 grains of FFFg at the top end which is lighter than I was looking for. The cape gun had been giving me very good accuracy with 50 grains of powder but I had hoped I could shoot fairly heavy charges in it. At 60 grains the groups began enlarging and continued to do so as the charge increased.  An astute member of this forum suggested I check the twist rate and it was 1:35 so as it turns out this flask drops charges that are ideal for the cape gun.  Turns out I have a close range Black Forest boar rifle. Or a Sitka blacktail deer rifle after the bears are tucked in.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 09:05:04 PM by Dennis Daigger »

Offline Dutch Blacky

Re: French chamois shot pouch and no name flat horn flask
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 07:47:57 AM »
Hi Dennis

That' s a wonderful restauration restauration of  a flat horn. 
I own a similar Horn, but mine has a different type of  charger, that does not work.

Somebody told me, that this type of horns was industrially made. Is this true?