Author Topic: Longrifle accessories  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Dave Tercek

• Starting Member
Longrifle accessories
« on: February 26, 2023, 06:12:30 PM »
Hi, I purchased a nice Somerset county rifle yesterday. It was made in the middle 1800's. Do these accessories look to be of that age.
Thank you,   Dave

Offline Longknife

Re: Longrifle accessories
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 08:37:31 PM »
Dave, they sure appear to be period, but each item would have to be inspected individually to be certain. The powder horn looks like it was roughly finished, not sanded, and not very professionally done, it has a pleasing aged patina but this all can be done to a modern horn too. The cap boxes all look original, I don't think anyone is making reproduction cap boxes. Do the balls fit one of the molds? Do the balls fit the bore? Check each mold for markings original molds are usually marked with a two or three digit number. That is number of balls to the pound. Did that pouch come with it? It appears to be machine sewn but the sewing machine was invented in 1829,,,,I would think it is all period, but I could be wrong too....Just my .02...LK
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 08:50:04 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline Dave Tercek

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 09:04:55 PM »
Longknife, Thanks
There are two different sizes. The mold on the left (round ball and conical) does fit the rifle's bore. The single ball mold is slightly smaller. There are no size markings on either mold. Two of the tins still have primers in them. The cloth bag itself is pretty cool. Other than a small tear it is nice shape.
Dave

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 05:21:58 PM »
That double cavity mold is usually used for revolvers, but is it fits, great!!!!!...LK
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 05:35:27 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg