Author Topic: Metal powder flasks: Antique or remake? General indications?  (Read 5147 times)

Offline Feltwad

Re: Metal powder flasks: Antique or remake? General indications?
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2021, 12:27:51 AM »
Enclosed is a image of a fowler powder flask which maybe of interest too members . It is a flask for the  4 and 2 bore guns and also the small punt guns  it throws a charge from 12 drms to 15 drms it is a flask that is not often seen and made by Hawksley.
Feltwad

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2021, 06:34:09 AM »
I did not know, that such flasks  were made.

VERY interesting! Extreme good condition.

Thanks for showing

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2021, 08:36:57 AM »
That's a rare one, Feltwad!  Very nice condition too.

Congrats my friend.

Richard.

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2022, 03:47:08 PM »
Most of the original dies from Dixon and others went to India  these flasks that came on the market in the 1960 which now are sold  has originals and many collectors do not know the difference
Feltwad
Repros

Repros and originals

Hello Feltward

it is really a big problem to distinguish old antique powder flasks from modern day replicas. Especially when these replicas were made using the old molds (dies). I've tried to start a discussion about this before, but my knowledge of powder flasks is pretty rudimentary.
You seem to be the one here in the forum who has accumulated the most knowledge about powder flasks over the years. I would be very happy if you could share your knowledge of antiques or replicas with us, perhaps using specific examples where you compare originals with replicas. With the Italian replicas, the differences are striking, but not with those from India.

Thanks

probably antique

new

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2022, 07:37:53 PM »
Bought a shotgun some time back and the caveat was that I also buy a small sewing box to get the shotgun. Box was nice, inlayed walnut but filled with junk. I rooted through the junk and wrapped in a rag were 2 original Colt pistol flasks in like new condition. Turned out the shotgun was a bargain.
Mark

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2022, 08:00:48 PM »
The 2nd Generation Colt powder flasks were made by Dixon and Sons using the old forms. And they are not marked as 2nd generation, made in the 1960s. So the like new Colt flasks might be 2.nd genaration flasks.

But they are rare and the price is relatively high.
Congratulations for this purchase

Offline jbigley

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2022, 11:20:08 PM »
Enclosed is a image of part of my powder flask collection . These are all originals   from the early flintlock period to the breech loading period
Feltwad

That is one FANTASTIC collection!! —JB

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2022, 05:59:11 PM »
Hi Feltwad,
you just mentioned that "Most of the original dies from Dixon and others went to India  these flasks that came on the market in the 1960 which now are sold  has originals and many collectors do not know the difference"

Thus it could  extremly difficult or impossible to thus, it could be extremely difficult to impossible to differentiate whether the body of a powder flask is new or old. Riling Riling already wrote in his book to be careful: If the flask actually looks too good, it's probably a remake.

A lot of remakes made in India furthermore have an  artificial patina that ultimately looks too homogeneous to be old.

For me it is mostly a "feeling", and no hard facts, but there are some indications for an antique flask.
1.) All screws are made if steel
2.) The top of the flask has been soldered together from individual parts and brass sheets, and not cast in one piece. This may be different for specimens from the 2nd half of the 19th century.
3.) The markings on the charger  are straight and not angled
4.) the  spring on the top looks different from replica powder flasks

To illustrate my observations here a few photos

(Sorry for the bad quality of the pics)

I ask for a critical discussion of my post. Thanks

Offline Daryl

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2022, 08:30:33 AM »
For those unfamiliar:
 12 drams is 327 1/2 grains
 15 drams is 409 1/2 grains
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2022, 10:50:43 AM »
Enclosed is a image of a fowler powder flask which maybe of interest too members . It is a flask for the  4 and 2 bore guns and also the small punt guns  it throws a charge from 12 drms to 15 drms it is a flask that is not often seen and made by Hawksley.
Feltwad

For those unfamiliar:
 12 drams is 327 1/2 grains
 15 drams is 409 1/2 grains

The flask shown by Feltwad is for a small Punt Gun!   8)