Author Topic: J. Tarratt & Son  (Read 1429 times)

Offline northup87

J. Tarratt & Son
« on: May 09, 2021, 10:03:16 PM »
Picked up a nice original full stock percussion at a local gun show this weekend. Marked J.  Tarratt & son on the lock and S. Hutson in the barrel. I ran a search for both in the forum Hutson yielded no results but Tarratt came up a couple times. New York mid 1830s. Just a nice honest plain user that wasn't used into the ground.  It has 3 charges in the barrel, I have removed the first, working on second now.  Did Tarratt commercially make locks or complete guns?

A.J. Downey

Offline Loudy

Re: J. Tarratt & Son
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 06:46:13 PM »
Thanks for posting photos of your rifle.  I really enjoy seeing workhorse firearms like this that weren't "used into the ground" as you said.  I have more questions than answers regarding your gun.  Was the name S. Hutson stamped or engraved onto the upper flat of the barrel, or onto one of the hidden bottom flats?  What is the approx. caliber of the bore and barrel length?  What do you make of the odd looking inlay on the cheek side of the stock?  Out of curiosity, how did you determine that the rifle was loaded with three charges before you were able to get them all out of the barrel?  Again, thank you for posting pictures of your rifle. 
Loudy       

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 06:54:37 PM »
Samuel Hutson 1815-      .  Logansport, IN.   Might start from there on your research.  Also you might look for Hudson as well.

Also scroll down to 11571 ( below)

https://oldguns.net/q&a11_05.htm
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 07:11:06 PM by Avlrc »

Offline northup87

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 08:49:42 PM »
Avlrc Thank you! That yeilded quite a bit of info!

Loudy,
S.Hutson was stamped in top barrel flat.

Length is 38 & caliber is roughly 38 as well.

I dont know what to make of the little silver inlay other than simply an individualized adornment. It doesn't appear to be anything special just silver.

I checked it with the ramrod at the show, bottom 11inches was filled. I've ran into this before. I pulled the nipple and drum. Cleared the back cavity of powder, then used a ball puller in the first ball, removed powder, second ball is being stubborn.  Will use a bore camera to assess corrosion damage when others are removed.

my geo com
A.J. Downey

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 08:52:11 PM »
Not sure where this man ( Robert Waco )got his information,but Logansport, IN is in north central Indiana on the Wabash River. Nowhere near Cincinnati or the Ohio River. Also Logansport would only be about 30 miles west of the town of Wabash where J.S.Burson made guns in the same time period.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 10:06:39 PM by flinchrocket »