Author Topic: Simple vs set triggers in southern mountain rifles  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Shopdog

Simple vs set triggers in southern mountain rifles
« on: May 10, 2021, 05:46:19 AM »
Let me just say the Knoxville show was amazing - only thing matching the collections of original southern mountain guns under one roof was the collection of experts and collectors of said rifles.  Being somewhat overwhelmed I forgot to ask a question while there - how many southern rifles were built with simple single triggers (if any)?  Looking through my photos and notes I realized I saw only one attributed to GA that lacked set triggers. I'm curious as to the possibility of simple single triggers within southern rifles in the day.  Seems like by the turn of the 18th century anyways, set triggers seem to predominate  by a long shot.  What do  the experts on this forum have to say on the subject.  Partly academic but then I'm toying with making a po-boy out of  parts I have and am curious as to the "authenticity" if I go the route with a simple trigger.  Just to be clear... this is a rifle for putting meat on the table and I'm no expert on the matter so I was toying with a simple trigger but being I have an affinity for southern mountain rifles I'm torn between  staying close to home as it were vs my desire to skip set triggers on this build.
Joe
Joe Davis
“We live in a bloody swamp! We need all the land we can get!

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Simple vs set triggers in southern mountain rifles
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 07:27:45 PM »
 I’ve seen a few Southern guns without set triggers, but they’re not real common, and usually are unsigned guns that I would suspect got built by relatively unskilled craftsmen over a long cold winter. I would think these guns were built for ones own use. A gun without set triggers would be pretty hard to sell I suspect.

Hungry Horse

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 01:50:41 PM »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 03:40:54 PM »
The fact that there are surviving examples of these rifles that never had a
set trigger would justify building one.How many of those equipped with a set
trigger had a lock with a "fly" or were the triggers the type that had to be set
before the lock can be cocked?
Bob Roller

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 04:26:57 PM »
  Not everyone dances to the same tune.  If it was me I'd go ahead with the single trigger.

Oldtravler

Offline Shopdog

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 04:50:21 PM »

Thanks fellas!  Especially for the photos which oddly enough is pretty close already to the stock configuration I have cut out.  I've never seen that rifle so extra inspiration.  Ya'll have settled it for me.  simple trigger it is. 
Joe
Joe Davis
“We live in a bloody swamp! We need all the land we can get!

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 04:54:00 PM »
I think you know the answer already. You won't see many, but yes some were done. Some of about everything was done somewhere by somebody.   Good luck with it.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 05:13:44 PM »
 ;) ;)... Scroll down to Michael Briggs post in this topic area on North Carolina collectors,... in photo number 6 there is a nice Carolina mountain rifle that was originally flint, with a taller hole and single trigger,... you can click on the pic to enlarge and increase resolution ,... a nice rifle,... perhaps Michael can provide more photos,... regards,... CCF

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 06:47:32 PM »
Nice fairly high grade English lock on that rifle.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 08:07:32 PM »

You might consider a single set trigger.  The photos show an American made single set that I made molds from and had castings made.