General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

shaders on chunk guns

<< < (2/2)

Daryl:
Taylor's shaders are made from Pensoil, I believe, octane booster bottles. The plastic advertising yellow label comes off to reveal a black tube. A narrow section is removed and the 'tube' fits down over the sights to stop at the forend.  It is held by spring tension and a weak eleastic band.  These worked well in our testing.

Sam Everly:
I make my shaders out of sheet metal . I then brown them in side and out . Mine are full lenght , just about 1/2 inch from the muzzle and about 4 inches behind the rear sight . Full lenght is better,you do not get any heat waves off the barrel. On a hot day , 90+ they work good. In my line of work i have alot of scrap and at one time i was making them up and giving them away to all my friends . My not so good friends i would give them the short sets . My under hammer chunker i made the shader out of round tubeing and it fits in slots on the sights . Every one that has not seen it before thinks it is a 4 foot long scope !!       

Michigan Flinter:
  I make mine out of copper roof flashing put a double 1/2" bend lenghtwise on both sides and bend it over some round stock to form a "U" shape ,held in place by spring tension I use brass black to get an old age look these are full length shaders.Works for me. Eric D. Lau Riverdale Mi.

Daryl:
Here is Roger rendition of shaders. Did I mention before, his chunk string is going to be the one to beat for first place?  Looks as if his works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version