Author Topic: 16 gauge target loads  (Read 1579 times)

Offline moleeyes36

16 gauge target loads
« on: May 13, 2021, 10:35:57 PM »
I may pick up a 16 gauge double this weekend that is supposedly little used and in excellent condition, but I haven't seen or inspected it yet.    I don't know what the choke of the barrels is, or if it is choked at all.  I'm too old and crippled to tromp the fields and woods hunting with it and will only be using it for clay bird shooting.  I have shooting experience with 12 and 20 gauge ML shotguns only and currently shoot a 12 gauge.  I find I get good results for target work with my 12 gauge (modified choke) using 1 1/8 ounces of #8 or #9 shot and an equal volume of 2fg Swiss.  I have some 1.5fg Old Enysford powder coming next week I'm going to try as well.  Any suggestions from folks that shoot a 16 gauge for a good load to start working with if I get the gun?  Thanks.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: 16 gauge target loads
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 11:25:35 PM »
I have two 15 gauge double percussion shotguns and they both like the following:

1 oz. shot (I use 7 1/2 or 8's)
2 1/2 grams FFg GOEX
wads:  1 A, 1/2 B, 1 C.

Your 16 gauge will likely do well with this load.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 12:16:12 AM »
Thank you, Taylor.  You say 2 1/2 grams of powder, which is about 71 grains by weight of powder.  Since I always measure my powder and shot by volume, is that about equal to 1 ounce by volume of shot? 

Don Richards
Don Richards

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 12:28:31 AM »
Sorry Don...I don't know.  I pour my powder from a horn into a measure, and my shot from a puddin' with an Irish head.  It's a pleasant load to shoot, and patterns well in my guns.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 02:28:50 AM »
Thanks, Taylor.  I have an adjustable shot measure.  I’ll have to set it for 1 oz and see how much powder by volume it holds at that setting.  I’ll post what I find out.

Don Richards
Don Richards

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 06:29:47 PM »
Be sure to weigh the shot charge too.  Those cut off heads are notoriously inaccurate.  Mine is the Irish variety, and I had to add some candle wax to the scoop to make it pour as indicated.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 06:50:07 PM »
1 pound = 7,000grains weight.
1 pound = 16 ounces.
1 ounce is 1/16th pound = 437.5gr.
1 Dram is 1/16th ounce = 27.3gr.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 07:08:26 PM »
Be sure to weigh the shot charge too.  Those cut off heads are notoriously inaccurate.  Mine is the Irish variety, and I had to add some candle wax to the scoop to make it pour as indicated.

I took my adjustable shot dipper set at 1 oz. and filled it with 2fg Swiss powder.  I then transferred the powder to my adjustable powder measure and observed that it was about 65 grains by volume. 

I'll get back to it again in a few days.  Today I'm rearranging my garage to make room for a new gun safe coming next week, and tomorrow is a shoot.  I'll get my electronic scales, weigh out an ounce of shot, set my powder measure to hold that amount of shot exactly, then see what that reads on the measure.  That method should be a little more precise and also tell me how accurate my shot dipper is.

Don Richards
Don Richards

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 07:45:56 PM »
I have rarely found that adjustable measures throw the charge they claim.  So weigh a specific charge on hour SCALE, and also the shot charge.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 01:30:51 AM »
Any stricken amount of Swiss powder, quite likely weighs more than the same volume of GOEX of similar granulation.
Even 1 1/2F Swiss weighted more, in the same stricken measure, than 3F GOEX.
Daryl

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 01:43:49 AM »
Any stricken amount of Swiss powder, quite likely weighs more than the same volume of GOEX of similar granulation.
Even 1 1/2F Swiss weighted more, in the same stricken measure, than 3F GOEX.

Yes, that has been my experience as well.  I also find that Swiss 3fg is a slightly smaller granule than 3fg GOEX.  I discovered that some time ago when I switched to Swiss from GOEX.  The flash hole was getting enlarged from much use and the Swiss would self prime when the GOEX would not.  A new liner and the problem was solved.

Don Richards
Don Richards

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 10:38:23 PM »

I took my adjustable shot dipper set at 1 oz. and filled it with 2fg Swiss powder.  I then transferred the powder to my adjustable powder measure and observed that it was about 65 grains by volume. 

I'll get back to it again in a few days.  Today I'm rearranging my garage to make room for a new gun safe coming next week, and tomorrow is a shoot.  I'll get my electronic scales, weigh out an ounce of shot, set my powder measure to hold that amount of shot exactly, then see what that reads on the measure.  That method should be a little more precise and also tell me how accurate my shot dipper is.

Don Richards

Okay, here is what I discovered this afternoon.  The adjustable measures are shown in the picture, the powder was 2fg Swiss, and the shot was #9.  I measured shot and powder from each of the measures and weighed the contents on a Lyman digital scale.

#1 is a plastic shot/powder dipper set at the 1 oz marking.
Shot - 435.2 grains or .99 oz
Powder - 70.2 grains or 2.57 drams

#2 is an adjustable brass powder measure set at the 70 grain marking.
Shot - 464 grains or 1.06 oz
Powder was 73.9 grains or 2.7 drams

#3 is also an adjustable brass powder measure set at the 70 grain marking.
Shot - 461.6 - 1.05 oz
Powder - 74.5 grains or 2.72 drams

#4 is an original shot/powder dipper set at the 1 oz marking
Shot - 488.3 grains or 1.12 oz
Powder - 76.3 grains or 2.79 drams

I found it surprising that the most accurate measure was the inexpensive plastic one.

I have a powder order coming this week and I have some Old Eynsford 1fg in it.  I'll repeat the powder portion of the experiment after I get that powder and I can compare the results.

Don Richards

where can i save my photos online
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 01:00:42 AM by moleeyes36 »
Don Richards

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 12:07:12 AM »
Tks Don. For some of us, valuable information.  For others, it's close enough. I find those 3/8" ID measures to be much more
accurate throwing shot or powder, throw to throw, compared to tapered body horn or bone measures of larger diameter.
I also find you cannot go by the measure markings on the side.  They may be correct for some powder not yet manufactured
but since they are adjustable, you can set them accordingly (& record those settings by their numbers, if that's what floats your
stick, by using a beam scale or electronic measuring device.
Daryl

Offline Ezra

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2021, 08:58:49 PM »
Don,

If I may ask, from whom do you buy black powder from online?  I’m assuming you are in the United States?

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2021, 12:21:37 AM »
Ezra,

I've been buying my powder from Powder Inc (Google them for the website) for several years and have been happy with their service and prices.  The HAZMAT and shipping fees are included in the price quoted on line.  I used to use Maine Powder House and liked them as well.

Don Richards
Don Richards

Offline Ezra

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2021, 12:44:39 AM »
Ezra,

I've been buying my powder from Powder Inc (Google them for the website) for several years and have been happy with their service and prices.  The HAZMAT and shipping fees are included in the price quoted on line.  I used to use Maine Powder House and liked them as well.

Don Richards

Thank you very much Sir.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"