Author Topic: Pipe Spontoon  (Read 1732 times)

JWrightsman

Pipe Spontoon
« on: May 14, 2021, 03:47:25 PM »
Here is a project I've been working on for the past few weeks. A friend owns an original spontoon hawk very much like this one that inspired me to build this. It is forged from a wrought iron wagon wheel band with the bowl forge brazed on. The handle is made from a piece of hard maple I cut on the sawmill. Its a very special piece to me as it was made to fund our upcoming wedding.  Our initials and wedding bands are engraved on the head of the hawk. Really enjoyed building this.

imageupload

Offline aaronc

Re: Pipe Spontoon
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 04:49:33 PM »
Great looking piece there.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 06:55:02 PM »
 A Beauty, Very well done.

Tim C.

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 07:18:13 PM »
Very nice work

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 12:33:44 AM »
 The more I look at this the more I am impressed with it. The shaking hands are wonderful.

Tim C.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 12:45:44 AM »
It's great having you join us Josh.  That is a seriously creative and well executed Spontoon.  Certainly not something you see every day.  The facets on the bowl look very crisp.  The carved hands are wonderful too.  God Bless,   Marc

JWrightsman

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 03:56:15 AM »
Thank you all. Certainly was fun to build. Thank you all for having me. I've been told that these spontoon hawks are a very early design based off of early pikes and pole spontoons. Purely American.

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 05:10:35 AM »
Sweet file work there.

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 06:15:46 AM »
Outstanding work, Josh. Great to have you join us.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Levy

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 05:43:17 PM »
Beautiful work there!  I got to work on a spontoon pipe years ago that was recovered from the Suwannee River here in FL.  It had the remains of the handle in place and was made out of hard pewter.  The pipe bowl was collapsed a little bit and I didn't try to straighten it.  A lot of rivers in FL and a lot of artifacts in them.  James Levy
James Levy

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 08:02:17 PM »
Beautiful work indeed!

When you say that you "brazed" the bowl on, I've always been curious.  Do you use the forge to help you braze, or do you do it as I used to, with an oxy/acetylene torch and a thin brazing rod coated with flux?  I cannot see heating the whole hatchet to red, nor using the forge to heat just a small area.

That wood caring on the haft is seriously nice!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

JWrightsman

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 08:38:24 PM »
Beautiful work indeed!

When you say that you "brazed" the bowl on, I've always been curious.  Do you use the forge to help you braze, or do you do it as I used to, with an oxy/acetylene torch and a thin brazing rod coated with flux?  I cannot see heating the whole hatchet to red, nor using the forge to heat just a small area.

That wood caring on the haft is seriously nice!
Craig, the bowl is riveted to the head through the hole with a thin homemade brass washer sandwiched between. Heat to cherry red in the forge sprinkle with borax. Heat again to bright yellow or until the brass flows. Real easy to do.

Offline john bohan

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 12:58:38 AM »
saw all your videos Josh, liked the hawk and all your videos. I hope you do more.

JWrightsman

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2021, 05:02:28 AM »
saw all your videos Josh, liked the hawk and all your videos. I hope you do more.
Glad you like them John, they are fun to make. Hopefully help a few folks out trying to learn. Will be making more as time permits.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2021, 02:59:45 PM »
Josh, beautiful work, as always.  I too enjoy your YouTube videos...how’s that cabin build coming along?

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2021, 03:09:45 PM »
Nice work.  Impressive file work and creative handshake on the haft.  Nicely done sir.

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline KC

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2021, 01:23:33 AM »
I’ve been watching your YouTube channel and am a recent subscriber. Glad to see you on this forum too. Awesome spontoon.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL