Author Topic: Bag #40 - Broken in leather.....  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Marcruger

Bag #40 - Broken in leather.....
« on: May 15, 2021, 01:08:59 AM »
I decided to change directions again after the dressed up haversack.  Since folks are making up stories about rifles, here's one about this bag.....

A man walks into a southern leatherworker's shop with a falling-apart leather feed bag.  He allows, "The stitching is shot, but the leather just feels broken in.  Can you make me hunting bag out of the good parts? "  Here's the result.

In actuality, it is 3-4 ounce cowhide, extremely broken in and weathered  (by me).  Internal stiffener and pocket.  It's lined in heavy cotton canvas.  The straps are 4-5 ounce cowhide with an iron buckle.  The bag closure is via a stretchy buckskin thong that pulls up over the pewter button I aged.  The rolled skirted edge is buckskin too.

I hope y'all enjoy it.   God Bless,    Marc

Online Spalding

Re: Bag #40 - Broken in leather.....
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 04:14:24 AM »
Wonderful bag there, Marc. Beautiful workmanship.

Bob

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 06:17:45 AM »
That turned out very nice, Marc. I sure like the look you got there.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Not English

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 08:20:33 AM »
Marc, very nice bag!! It took me a moment to figure out the flap tie down. Very neat, I like it!

Dave

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 09:36:21 AM »
Marc, that's a great looking bag, nice job

Offline old george

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 02:44:05 PM »
Marc..nice looking bag and I really like the closure.

george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 05:35:38 PM »
Love the bag! I for one like to see a "story" that goes along with horns, bags and rifles.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 01:49:39 AM »
I really like that bag.  I especially like the design of the tie down for the flap.  Great work as always.
David

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 01:54:30 AM »
You’re continuing a tradition of excellent work! Beautiful buddy !!!!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline scottmc

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 03:50:49 PM »
Marc, nice work!  I especially like the stressed leather look and the story makes it believable. It looks like it is one piece of leather so is the entire bag lined or just the back panel and flap?  I sometimes line the back to give it some rigidity but when using one piece of leather for the bag, I have to run a stitch across the bottom to secure the lining but doesn't look all that great but I can't figure any other way to secure it.
Remember Paoli!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 03:54:43 PM »
 How the heck did I miss seeing this. Really mice work Marc, I like the detail on the inside button.

Tim 

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 05:54:16 PM »
Clean work as always but I'm going to point out a subtle point of observation that is worth noting. I like the way you have nicked off the corners here.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2021, 09:15:31 PM »
My sincere thanks to you all for the nice words.  I did not say this before, but I think I am more pleased with this one than any I've made before.  It is heading to a dear friend tomorrow, otherwise I'd be keeping and using it.  What's the old line about cobblers and shoes?     :)

James, I am humbled that you studied the details on this bag.  As you know being The Leather-Meister, all of the details add to the look and function of the whole.  Your bags always have super detail work.  I figured out in the past that I did not want square edges catching on things, and those corners roll up and become unsightly.  I try to leave no corner unclipped.   

"Really mice work Marc, I like the detail on the inside button."  Tim, are you saying mice can do better work than I can?  Lol.    :)  I like those ceramic buttons for anchors to the pewter ones on the front side.  I got those at Camden, and am hunting more currently. 

Scott, the canvas lining is the same size as the piece of leather.  The whole thing is lined in one piece.  The canvas is sewed up the sides at the same time as the leather.  My temptation is to say that sewing across the bottom of the bag would basically provide a perforation for a line of leather failure. 

Using stretchy buckskin for the hold-down thong makes a much more useful product than something non-stretchy.  The thong ends are a tight fit through the holder, but they can friction slide. 

Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 02:38:30 PM »
THANKS A LOT MARC....now I gotta run around Mennonite and Amish Farms and see if I can collect a feed bag or two...

Did you treat/finish the leather with anything special or different?

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2021, 04:29:39 AM »
Thats a keeper for sure.  Love the lining and how its done.

Offline gusd

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2021, 04:35:44 PM »
Marc,
Love this bag, super work. 8)
Gus

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2021, 07:47:00 PM »
I bet those mice hired a few rat buddies to help out = too nice of a bag to be made solely by the mice.

Marc, took me a time or two of looking/think about that closure - really fantastic!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2021, 04:44:08 PM »
I was looking at my first leather project hanging over my desk, and it is a good reminder of things I've learned and things not to do.  It struck me that it is the same concept as this current Bag #40, but every technique I use is different now.  It is a blessing to be able to learn from others.  I made this Bag #1 with my dad's advice and coaching in September 2017.  As Eric Ewing would say, this is a Flashback.    :)   God Bless,   Marc

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2021, 05:41:43 PM »
Marc,
The re-enforcement panel/inside pocket across the back of the bag is pure genius!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline RMann

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2021, 12:59:50 AM »
Really nice Marc, and especially inspiring with the aged and textured materials, but executed in your typical neat details.  Your simple closure looks practical in function, without being too "catchy" in the woods.  More good ideas for me to learn from....  Can you share your source for your buckle?  It would be a fitting detail for a bag I hope to sew as time allows.  Thanks, R Mann

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2021, 04:39:58 AM »
The excellent casting work of Richard Lanni is what you are looking for in buckles. You can locate Richard on Facebook.  Best wishes, Marc

Offline Stillwater Dan

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2021, 01:12:46 PM »
I really like everything about this bag and the story behind it. Seeing work like this is an inspiration to me. Just getting started it gives me some goals to work towards. Thanks for sharing it with us Marc.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2021, 08:03:42 AM »
I really like that bag Marc.