Author Topic: Questions About Two Original Longrifles  (Read 1068 times)

Offline grabenkater

Questions About Two Original Longrifles
« on: June 20, 2021, 03:07:47 AM »
I have these two longrifles that I have had for sometime. My son wants a flintlock to shoot and I’m considering putting these two rifles up as possible trade for one.

I am curious is someone can help me with an idea of what they may be worth, so I can post them here.

Thank yiu

When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Questions About Two Original Longrifles
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 04:25:31 AM »
I’ll take a stab at it. You have 2 unsigned late percussion rifles with back action locks. Unless identified by some feature, it’s hard to place and date such rifles because gunsmiths were moving all over and parts were available all over. If they don’t have perfect bores, they seem to be in the $300 (each) range as they are wall hangers not fitting into anyone’s specific area of collecting. If they were shown to be from this state or that state, collectors specializing in guns from that state might pay more.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Questions About Two Original Longrifles
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 06:34:29 AM »
The quality of the photos posted leaves questions about these rifles, since several photos are out of focus. The half-stocked rifle has the least value since it is so generic, or difficult to identify or place in a specific state. Photos do not let us see if the gun has ramrod pipes, or even if there is an iron rib under the barrel [doesn't seem to be].

The full-stocked rifle has significantly more value than the half-stocked gun and appears to be in better condition. I would not worry about the bore condition; most of these old rifles that have not been shot or had the barrel cleaned in many years, have a dark bore and sometimes light pitting in areas, especially back near the breech. Most collectors are not going to shoot a collectible longrifle, so while a bad bore may have some impact on price, it's not a big deal to a lot of potential buyers. The rather different style cheek inlay may help identify the rifle if someone takes the time to do some investigation. Back-action locks usually date the guns to the late 1830s and later, with most back-action rifles being from the 1840s or 1850s. Several things would help us help you, if you could provide the following:

1. Post CLEAR pictures of both rifles, and get a solid, neutral colored background behind the guns.
2. Post standard views of each gun, which consist of:
   a) front half-length view showing full butt to about 8" past lock plate
   b) rear half-length view showing full butt out to about 8" past where lock plate is on opposite side
   c) full length view of front showing complete gun... don't clip off any corner or detail in any photo
   d) good close-up of the cheek inlay in full-stocked gun
   e) provide barrel length, bore size/diameter, and number of rifling grooves for each rifle
3. Recheck both barrels on the top flat several inches behind the rear sight for ANY TRACE of initials or name, and if anything is there, even if you cannot read it, post a clear photo of what it is and state which rifle it comes from.

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 06:41:17 AM by Tanselman »