Author Topic: .50 to .58  (Read 9369 times)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
Re: .50 to .58
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2021, 02:55:12 AM »
I would guess that the 32" .58 is lighter.

Thanks. I just couldn't decide which one was lighter.

Online Bsharp

« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2021, 05:44:53 AM »
1"x36"s
50cal   6.3#
54       5.9
58       5.6

from TOTW
Get Close and Wack'em Hard!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2021, 06:23:29 AM »
Good stuff.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Herb

« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2021, 06:29:31 AM »
The .50 caliber is .175 pound per inch.  The .54 is .164 pound per inch times 30 is 4.92 pounds or 4 pounds 14.72 ounces.  The .58 is .156 pound per inch times 32 is 4 .99 pounds or 4 pounds 15.8 ounces, or 1.08 ounces heavier.  But the .54 is loaded with a 230 grain ball which weighs .52 ounce.  The .58 ball weighs 276 grains or .63 ounce.  So the .58 is 1.71 grains heavier with an equal powder charge.  A larger charge is likely but inconsequential.  It is sixes.
Herb

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2021, 02:39:19 PM »
I just noted there are 5 pages of discussion here focused on how to get a lighter, bigger bore rifle for a factory gun price!  ;D

Solutions offered have included shortening the barrel to lose weight, with its pros and cons, re-boring to a bigger caliber to lose weight, getting an entirely suitable rifle at a very low price from a fellow ALR member, and buying a rifle off an auction site. Darned if I can think of anything else.
Andover, Vermont

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2021, 02:55:41 PM »
Only thing not discussed is perhaps shooting lighter projectiles and powder charges  ;D
ie,  switching to Swiss , would allow maybe a 10% by weight reduction over GOEX .  Every little bit counts !   ;D

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2021, 03:05:33 PM »
 Don't forget boring 7 or 8 1" holes through the stock or turning the butt into a skeleton stock.

Tim C.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2021, 03:11:43 PM »
Good answers guys. Well, except boring holes in the stock. :)

Thanks.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2021, 04:21:38 PM »
I still think a cross stick rest would negate most of the weight concerns, especially since recoil is no concern. TCA
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2021, 04:28:24 PM »
I still think a cross stick rest would negate most of the weight concerns, especially since recoil is no concern. TCA

Ok, for practice. Not so good for hunting my style.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2021, 04:33:06 PM »
2 ounces is nothing.
Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2021, 04:55:41 PM »
2 ounces is nothing.

Not what I meant but that seems too light for standing sticks.

You know I still hunt. I'm moving slow with the gun in both hands ready for a quick shot if needed. How do I get sticks to work in that situation? I only shoot standing offhand. Worn out knees force that.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2021, 07:04:42 PM »
An Allen monopod adjusts up to 61 inches. Might double as a light walking pole.
Just a thought. Sorry if it’s a bad one.
TCA
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2021, 07:23:57 PM »
An Allen monopod adjusts up to 61 inches. Might double as a light walking pole.
Just a thought. Sorry if it’s a bad one.
TCA

I have one that I use for hiking. It's not practical for me to hunt with. If I sat and ambushed it would work good.

A lighter gun is my answer. I know that and have for years. It gets worse every year and what do I do? Buy the heaviest gun i've ever owned. I sure didn't get smarter as I got older.

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2021, 08:10:14 PM »
Pete I think you will like that Rifle you just bought.  I think it is worth what the seller was asking for it.  Should be a lot lighter than what you have now.
iloco

Offline Sharpsman

• "There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2021, 08:29:55 PM »
There's lots of forked sticks that could be cut!!
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2021, 09:25:08 PM »
While i'm sneaking along moving slower than a snail and the gun in both hands.

What do I do with the stick?

My shots are done quick. Almost snap shots sometimes.

How do I do that if I use a stick?

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2021, 10:03:42 PM »
I'll be ok guys. I think the new gun with a .54 30" barrel will work for me. If the weight gets too bad I can change my hunting style to ambush. Then I can sit in a bush and use sticks.

A good thing about elk is I can call them in and ambush should work good. I've never ambushed or called, so it will be a new experience for me.

Thanks again all.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2021, 04:54:26 PM »
I just noted there are 5 pages of discussion here focused on how to get a lighter, bigger bore rifle for a factory gun price!  ;D

Solutions offered have included shortening the barrel to lose weight, with its pros and cons, re-boring to a bigger caliber to lose weight, getting an entirely suitable rifle at a very low price from a fellow ALR member, and buying a rifle off an auction site. Darned if I can think of anything else.

Here's one other idea, find somebody with a metal lathe and have them turn the last 2/3 of the barrel round instead of octagon.  Biggest weight savings for the effort I can think of. 

My main hunting rifle is a .58 and weight was a primary consideration when I built it.  Colerain 38", swamped D profile, Oct/Round barrel.  Nice piece of curly red maple, not the super dense and heavy sugar maple.  Finished rifle was just over 6 pounds and carries like a dream.  I shoot 90 grains FF with a patched .570 ball.  Taken a bunch of deer with it, about half dropping on the spot (when I think to shoot high shoulder instead of lungs), and one 354lb black bear that also fell dead in its tracks (although that was at only 12 yards).  Fall 2022 have plans to test it on elk, too.   ;D
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2021, 05:21:35 PM »
That really came out light. I never would have guessed a 38" barrel could come out that light. You should have no problem with elk.

The Hawken I bought is 8.5 lbs. I'll have to accept it as light as i'm going to get. My problem is I don't want to spoil the looks of it being a Hawken. I plan on going to BP shoots and want to keep the gun as PC as possible.

I want to see how the gun shoulders when I get it. I always have the option to bore it to a .58 but prefer to not mess with a Douglas barrel.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2021, 06:37:15 PM »
Re-boring a Douglas Bl. might be a problem. Bobby Hoyte would know.
Daryl

Offline Magungo1066

• Starting Member
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2021, 09:34:36 PM »
Whatever you decide to do I do not think you will regret going to a larger bore. I hardly shoot anything smaller than .54 now. Thats mostly because of the calibers of the guns I own, but I think I will be grateful for the size when I go hunting with one of them. .54 or .58 is good for anything up to elk. There is also just a fun factor of slinging a larger ball. Yes you go through more powder and lead, but I have noticed (at least in my experience) all forms of blackpowder shooting is significantly lower than that required to feed a habit of using unmentionables. If the rifle can be bored to .58 I think you will certainly be happy. However, if the biggest you can go is .54, I think you will still really notice the difference, and be happy with the performance. If you can do .58 I would do that and be very happy. But if the largest you can go is .54, I think you will still be happy.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2021, 07:11:17 PM »
Well, I had to back out of deal on the Hawken with curly maple. Itbroke my heart but my buyer for the Pedersoli said shipping charges are too high and I was paying for half of it. It took him a whole week to decide that.

I've grown tired of trying to sell the Pedersoli and i'm not going to try anymore. I'll just keep it. It's a nice gun. I want to shoot the gun through the summer and be ready for the Sept hunt. I don't want to give up the barrel to Bobby for what could be 2 months. He's pretty busy.

I'll pay for the muley buck tag I got. I've been holding off doing that. Somehow i'll have to struggle through doing the whole hunt myself.

If i get lucky and get an elk tag from the 2nd drawing or leftover list i'll have my bud to help me. I'll use some sort of conical to to make a legal load.

Next winter I can send the barrel to Bobby if this fall didn't work out as a .50.

I'm glad that's over. I'm sure you all are too.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2021, 09:48:21 PM »
I started snooping around for a new possible bag. I wanted it made from elk because I love elk.

I just bought this one. Does it fit into 1850 or so?

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2021, 10:54:02 PM »

Here's one other idea, find somebody with a metal lathe and have them turn the last 2/3 of the barrel round instead of octagon.  Biggest weight savings for the effort I can think of. 

My main hunting rifle is a .58 and weight was a primary consideration when I built it.  Colerain 38", swamped D profile, Oct/Round barrel.  Nice piece of curly red maple, not the super dense and heavy sugar maple.  Finished rifle was just over 6 pounds and carries like a dream.  I shoot 90 grains FF with a patched .570 ball.  Taken a bunch of deer with it, about half dropping on the spot (when I think to shoot high shoulder instead of lungs), and one 354lb black bear that also fell dead in its tracks (although that was at only 12 yards).  Fall 2022 have plans to test it on elk, too.   ;D

Did you purchase it from Colerain as octagon-round in .58 caliber? Was it the Early American pattern,? I know Scott will turn any of the swamped octagon barrels into octagon-round if you ask for it.