Author Topic: Modifying a bag, sort of?  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Hutch

Modifying a bag, sort of?
« on: May 19, 2021, 04:40:41 AM »
Hey guys, I have a weird question.  I have a bag that I really like, but I would like it even more if it was lined with ticking or something of the sort lined on the inside.  Is that something that can even be done? I don't know the first thing about this kinda work, but my brother does phenomenal work with leather.  Figured I would see if it's even doable or even something I could do before mailing it off to him and being without for a while....

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
Re: Modifying a bag, sort of?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 10:47:17 PM »
Post a picture, Hutch.  There are several talented guys on this forum that can help you.

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 11:58:59 PM »
Probably doable as a free-floating liner by attaching it with binding around the edges. If you were looking to use it to stiffen it up, it would have to be attached to the leather with adhesive, and that would be pretty difficult after the bag is built.

There are other ways to stiffen a bag, if that’s your main goal.  You can put a leather connector sewn inside the back and connected to the straps.  This does wonders for a floppy bag.  Or adding a pocket to the back.  But at some point sewing those to an existing bag starts getting a little difficult.

Stiffener added.

Offline Hutch

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 12:04:09 AM »
It's plenty stiff, I just like the looks of the liner.  I don't have any pics on me, but here is the link to the one I have.   https://www.accu-riser.com/h-303-hunter-deer-tail-flap-possibles-bag/

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 11:42:45 PM »
I don’t think retrofitting would be a real doable option then. If your brother is a fairly good leather worker, have him replicate your bag with whatever type of pillow ticking or liner material you want inside. Then you could sell off your original bag and have what you like in the end.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 07:13:26 PM »
I am sure there are some smarter than I am who will come up with a way.  That said, I don't see a good outcome to trying to line a pouch that is already made.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Hutch

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 11:13:34 PM »
Looks like I will have to have him make me a new bag.  I don't think a guy can ever have too many 🤣

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 01:45:45 AM »
Looks like I will have to have him make me a new bag.  I don't think a guy can ever have too many 🤣

That’s the spirit!  ;)

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson