Author Topic: Good rifles bring good money  (Read 3792 times)

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Good rifles bring good money
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2021, 06:25:44 PM »
And maybe that’s the goal.

Well, no offence, but a big problem with mentioning specifics on this forum is the fact that a certain group of members seem to think it their duty to criticize and deride most any nice gun that is mentioned or shown here.
I'll leave it at that....
John
John Robbins

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2021, 07:32:05 PM »
Well, no offence, but a big problem with mentioning specifics on this forum is the fact that a certain group of members seem to think it their duty to criticize and deride most any nice gun that is mentioned or shown here.
John

It is unfortunate that John does have a great point. I'm quite sure that some members of the forum would love to post some pictures of rifles in their collection, but are reluctant for fear of having them "raked over the coals".

I have a rifle I recently acquired from a friend and I am now researching, disassembling, and photographing. The problem I have is that I will probably not share the info I find, because this rifle was the topic of a post earlier this year in which it was ridiculed and derided.

Kent Johns
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline lexington1

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2021, 09:15:01 PM »
John and Kent make very good points. I would love to show off some of my stuff, but don't too often because you know you can expect very unenlightening or rude comments.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2021, 09:16:05 PM »
John

It is unfortunate that John does have a great point. I'm quite sure that some members of the forum would love to post some pictures of rifles in their collection, but are reluctant for fear of having them "raked over the coals".

I have a rifle I recently acquired from a friend and I am now researching, disassembling, and photographing. The problem I have is that I will probably not share the info I find, because this rifle was the topic of a post earlier this year in which it was ridiculed and derided.

Kent Johns

Exactly!
More than a few guys with some of the very best collections used to regularly post here, but no longer. Sadly, thanks to a few, this place has become known as Unfriendly to antique longrifles.
John
John Robbins

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2021, 09:46:33 PM »
I’m sorry guys but I must be looking at a different forum than y’all. Folks here seem to me to be a bit too polite. On more occasions than I can count a member will post a piece (both antique and contemporary) that is obviously a clunker and get glowing comments from the members. Maybe I’m not reading them correctly but most critical observations are done so tastefully with no intent of snobbery..... I believe that this bunch has the good taste to hold their negative comments to themselves.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline rlm

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2021, 01:24:10 AM »
I for one will have to agree with JTR. I will ever again offer photos for the virtual library. In one past occasion I offered photos of  an attributed G. Schreyer rifle thoroughly describing restorations etc.only to have comments made, taken out of context, suggesting that the rifle was probably a Koons, not Schreyer. I emailed the library staff, whom acknowledged the mistake but never corrected it. On another occasion it was stated as fact that a rifle submitted by me for the library was “shortened”; again not factual. There is a lot of good derived from this forum. However, sometimes things get called incorrectly with little recourse to set the record straight.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2021, 02:08:27 AM »
Much of this “really, this is for insiders; those in the know and in the club” is discouraging for anyone considering becoming a serious collector. And maybe that’s the goal.

The above posts have no direct relevance to my comments. My point is that some collectors understandably want to have a strong market for originals and, at the same time, make statements that suggest that newbies need not participate. I don’t think that’s a strong marketing approach, but I have no experience marketing in this hobby.

Live long and prosper!
Andover, Vermont

Offline lexington1

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2021, 02:14:36 AM »
I totally agree with you also Rich.

Online Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2021, 05:30:07 AM »
This thread is devolving into misery
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline lexington1

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2021, 05:36:26 AM »
I agree with you too Rob. See, I agree with everyone  ;D