Author Topic: Pure lead shot  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
Pure lead shot
« on: May 19, 2021, 09:42:03 PM »
I have a supply of old #4,5,6 shot I use in my smoothbore, and my vintage side by side, but was wondering where in the world does one purchase pure lead shot? I would be leery using anything else......Help!
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline old george

Re: Pure lead shot
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 10:20:01 PM »
Dan,
 Try https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Lead-Buckshot/products/65/ they have pure lead shot among others

george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

oldhunter1954

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 10:26:12 PM »
I have been looking as well. Everyone is out of stock.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 10:51:16 PM »
Alloyed usually 3% antimony I think.  The shot tower in Ancaster, Ontario is running every day.
The owners bought a 100' tall concrete silo and added 20' to it. Makes very nice shot, so it's
still being made in some locals.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 01:18:30 AM »
For desperate times make your own out of scrap lead.  Drop it about 1/8" in to antifreeze.  It is called the short drop method.  Littelton makes a shot maker that does this.

I made about 50# using a lee bottom pour pot with a brass machine screw made into an emitter oraface.  The the shot is variable size but shoots fine.  Every little detail has an effect on what you get.  Lots of tinkering is needed.  It is messy.  I wanted to see if I could, and yes I can.  I got bored and moved on to other projects.

For larger shot you can cut cubes out of sheet lead.  Tumble it with graphite to make it more round. 

I am not aware of anyone selling pure lead shot.  They add arsenic to make it come out more round. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 01:21:34 AM by Scota4570 »

oldhunter1954

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 02:09:21 AM »
For desperate times make your own out of scrap lead.  Drop it about 1/8" in to antifreeze.  It is called the short drop method.  Littelton makes a shot maker that does this.

I made about 50# using a lee bottom pour pot with a brass machine screw made into an emitter oraface.  The the shot is variable size but shoots fine.  Every little detail has an effect on what you get.  Lots of tinkering is needed.  It is messy.  I wanted to see if I could, and yes I can.  I got bored and moved on to other projects.

For larger shot you can cut cubes out of sheet lead.  Tumble it with graphite to make it more round. 

I am not aware of anyone selling pure lead shot.  They add arsenic to make it come out more round.
i seriously considered buying a Littelton shot maker but I have had no luck finding pure lead at anything that even resembles a reasonable price. I can get it at a local store for $3 per pound. No clue how much shot that would make?

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 03:02:34 PM »
Here is an option, if you prefer historical methods .

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 03:35:09 PM »
So my question: does 2-3% antimony in lead hurt Damascus barrels?? 

Balistic products sells chilled lead shot with 2% antimony.
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline snapper

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 03:56:56 PM »
Dan

I dont shoot shotguns a lot, but I always use the shot that is commercially available that is not a 100% pure lead.  I have used this shot in several ML and BPC hammer shotguns over the years.  I have not seen any damage to any of the barrels.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

oldhunter1954

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 04:23:40 PM »

I sure hope not because 2-3% is most likely the best you will find. I have a bag of #9 Magnum shot that I believe is 4-6% antimony.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 06:13:33 PM »
"Pure" lead is a non issue.  Any lead alloy will be safe.  I am not aware of any "pure" lead shoot having ever been made in quantity. 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 07:01:59 PM »
I shoot commercial shot in all my original shotguns without issue.  What problem do you envision?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2021, 07:54:48 PM »

No, as Taylor and Scota4570 also noted.
No shot maker, makes pure lead shot.
Westley Richards & Purdey's say that Bismuth is usable in any of their damascus barrel SxS's as well.
Daryl

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 08:15:22 PM »
I’m new to historic doubles and just doing my homework. Thanks for the responses

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2021, 03:20:06 AM »
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Lead-Buckshot/products/65/
This site says pure lead, but I doubt that very much. If they made bird shot in pure lead, they'd likely go out of business.
Alloyed lead shoots much better patterns than does softer, even "chilled" lead shot. Dropping the shot into water, if it is
almost cold to start with (long drop) will not harden it at all. Shot needs both arsenic AND antimony to harden any at all
The best shot I have ever used, was made in Alberta.  It was VERY hard shot & patterned beautifully, and much better than
nickle or copper plated shot.
I would not shoot any plated shot from a damascus bl., especially nickle plated, unless using steel shot plastic wads.  I still
haven't experimented with those in my SxS. I have some 12 bore steel shot wads just for that purpose.
Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2021, 04:41:02 PM »
When I was heavy into trap shooting we had to use factory ammo. The shot we could buy at the time was too soft and wouldn't pattern well at all.

So, I wouldn't look for shot too soft.

oldhunter1954

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2021, 11:32:56 PM »
Can I assume I can shoot any type of lead shot from my damascus barrel if I use a shot cup to protect the barrel?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2021, 11:47:33 PM »
Yes - any lead shot, even if made from crimp-on WW alloys, just as you can use about any lead hardness balls or bullets in a damascus rifled barrel.
Seems to me, some of the damascus paradox rifles call for 16:1, tin to lead. That is as hard as you can make lead, as-cast.
Daryl

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2021, 12:20:03 AM »
Do you mean 16 parts tin to one part lead?  Or visaversa?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2021, 01:45:19 AM »
No  ::) vis a vis
NO  plastic wad is necessary. However, if you use a plastic wad you will need to protect it from powder flame with a HARD 1/8th over powder card wad. Failure to do that will allow the power flame to melt the plastic which will coat the bore along with the powder fouling.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 01:51:44 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Jerry

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2021, 09:00:12 AM »
I have had some good results using copper plated shot out of my 20 ga smoothbore. Jerry

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2021, 10:00:12 PM »
Too bad that hole is large. The centre concentration might have been interesting to see.
Daryl

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2021, 04:00:57 PM »
Finally looked up Lancaster on my Ohio road map, only about 75-80 miles from here.  Might just visit that tall shot tower.  Make a nice little "day drive", and get to see a few new-to-me Ohio places.

I recall a shot tower that we hiked past about 60 years ago, but can't recall if it was in Maryland or Virginia.  I do know it wasn't in the Philippines, the only other spot where I was a Boy Scout.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2021, 06:29:57 AM »
I don't know about a shot tower at Lancaster OHIO, but have visited the shot tower operation at Ancaster, Ontario, Canada the 120' version.
Daryl

Offline Daryl

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2021, 08:10:33 AM »
I don't know about a shot tower at Lancaster OHIO, but have visited the shot tower operation at Ancaster, Ontario, Canada the 120' version.
Daryl