Author Topic: 090908-1  (Read 9186 times)

Offline nord

090908-1
« on: September 09, 2009, 10:42:15 PM »
Ithaca, NY area. Shows some Susquehanna influence.  .36 cal, 31 1/2 inch bbl, 12 1/2 LOP, JL on the top of bbl and also lockplate. I think this gun was made for John Losey when he was a young brother of B. Losey

- Owner
=====================================================
Setting the record straight:

Benjamin was the younger brother (born 1816), not John (born 1814).

Benjamin is often listed as a barrel maker, I think John was usually listed as a gun maker which may explain this gun's markings.

Abiel Losey (their father) was also known as a barrel maker.

=====================================================

Comments:

This rifle was made about 30 miles from me and I wasn't even aware of this maker. I would disagree with the statement that the rifle was made FOR John Losey as the top barrel flat indicates that it was made BY same.

Contributor notes that B. Losey is stamped in block letters on a top side barrel flat. While this is noted, the traditional mark of the maker resides on the top barrel flat. More likely (in my opinion) that B. Losey was somehow connected to the rifle but was not the actual maker.

Lock is most interesting. I assume a refinish, but the wood shows so little erosion that I have to wonder if the rifle was ever really used. So maybe original.

Very similar to the rifles I've encountered from east and south of Ithaca to Owego and west to Painted Post and decidedly unlike those guns made by Harder. No obvious "perch belly".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   
What an interesting rifle! And, it is an attractive gun, as well. This maker, to borrow the currently popular cliche, thought outside the box. One wonders if it may not have been an experimental piece. It is interesting that it does not have a cheek rest, but has all of the other traits of the rifle. It is quite well made and one that many of us could not resist if it showed up on a table at a gun show.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 05:23:46 PM by Tim Crosby »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.