Author Topic: Black powder recommendations  (Read 5493 times)

Offline Ezra

Black powder recommendations
« on: May 25, 2021, 01:01:18 AM »
Hey guys,

Mr. Don Richards (our own moleeyes36) has provided me a website to purchase black powder online.  Such a convenience!  For the past 20 years or so, the only brand of powder I’ve ever used has been GOEX which I have always bought at our Pacific Primitive Rendezvous by the single pound, very expensive and not always available.  While I cannot say I’ve ever had an issue with GOEX, I was hoping to get some insight on some of the different brands, none of which I am familiar with.  With my only frame of reference being GOEX, which I am very familiar, I would very much appreciate your opinions on the following brands of black powder as compared to GOEX.  I always shoot live ammunition, no blank reenactment shooting.  I strive for, but rarely achieve accuracy… 8)

Swiss black powder

Schuetzen black powder

Old Eynsford black powder

Skirmish black powder

Much appreciated,

Ez
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 02:32:16 AM by Ezra »
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Daryl

Re: Black powder recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 02:22:53 AM »
I have some Old Enysford 3F and I find it shoots about identically to GOEX 3F. I have not chronographed it, though & only used it in the .36.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 02:46:30 PM »
I have access to all the black powders and have tried them all and still use Goex.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 03:04:46 PM »
Mad Monk (Bill Knight) can provide you with many pages of reading on chemistry and making of BP's and the companies that produce them, past and present. His experience is extensive.

But it's about the chemistry and performance from the lab perspective, rather than field guide to various powders. 

Personally I'm phasing out Goex in favor of Euro-powders because I don't care to support the company that still lies to the public about the corrosive nature of P-dex (Hodgdon). It has nothing at all to do with the performance of Goex.

Hold to the Wind

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 01:41:35 AM »
I only use Goex 3F tried others but now that's all I use. "Muskrat Mike" will be at the PPR this year. I will be one of the first-aid people. Look me up.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 02:53:02 AM »
Interesting thread. I have always used GOEX, but thought of advantages or dos advantages of using other powders. Shot 2f in my 20 ga fowler for years, but recently switched to 3fg. Sorry, if my comments are out of place here. Jerry

Offline Ezra

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 03:22:40 AM »
"Muskrat Mike" will be at the PPR this year. I will be one of the first-aid people. Look me up.

I shall to, just ask around for “Fishkiller”. 

Ez

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 11:11:07 PM »
Goex has, for a long time, been the powder brand all the others were compared with; kind of like the 30/06.  Goex is a very good "middle of the road" powder and there are powders considered some better and powders considered not as good.  Swiss and Goex OE are usually considered to be on the "better" end of the spectrum.  I've used Dupont, Elephant, a couple of proprietary powders mfg. by Goex and dabbled in some Swiss 3F.  The Swiss 3F did very well in my .32; for almost everything else I use Goex 3F.  Cost is the most critical factor for me, with availability and recommendation a very close #2.  I can't shoot well enough to see much accuracy difference in any of them except with specific calibers and loads.  Graf's is mfg.  currently by Goex as I understand it; and so is Jack's Battle Powder.  I've used all of these with great satisfaction as my needs are easily satisfied.  Never tried OE but it comes highly recommended.  Try out each powder and see what your gun likes best.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 01:08:06 AM »
Some of the most consistent results I have obtained in terms of velocity and standard deviation I got with Elephant.  An equal measure of Elephant produced lower velocities by about 10% compared to GOEX.  I stuck with GOEX due to availability as I can't out shoot either one.  In the event you find yourself at a shoot and for some completely un-explainable reason your powder horn runs dry, GOEX is likely what you might find from your new  best friend.  This is of course completely hypothetical.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 01:37:43 AM »
Swiss has a premium equal to the gain in velocity per g and is cleaner to boot. Works for me.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 01:47:56 AM »
Have you checked weighed charges, Bob, or just comparing stricken charges. My findings are that Swiss is considerably more dense, ie: higher specific gravity
than  GOEX.  Thus, a stricken measure of GOEx contains less powder than the same measure of Swiss powder - as much as 10% greater for Swiss & that was
comparing 1 1/2F Swiss to 3F GOEX.  The GOEX, due to the smaller, tighter packing granuals, should have weighed more to start with, yet there was a 9 1/2%
greater weight of Swiss in the same "Stricken" measure.  That alone will produce higher velocities.
Daryl

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2021, 12:44:34 AM »
Ezra,

What's your favorite powder is like asking what's your favorite patch lube or your favorite beer.  It's something for which people have personal preferences (some quite strong) for reasons that are sometimes quite esoteric.  When you ask that question you get a number of people each saying what their favorite powder is until all the powders are named.  What powder works for each of them is what they choose to use because of how the powder performs for them in their shooting or sometimes based merely on price.   I can only suggest that you buy a can of the different powders and try them out for yourself in your own shooting.  You can't determine which powder is best for you unless you've tried it out for yourself.  If you can't find a particular powder locally, you can probably find a fellow shooter that uses it and would be willing to sell or trade you a can to try.  When you decide which one works best for you in your shooting, then buy it in quantity on-line and get the better price. 

I've opined enough; it's five o'clock and time for a wee nip of Kentucky Sunshine.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2021, 01:02:18 AM »
Well said Don. ;)

Offline Ezra

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2021, 09:01:40 PM »
Ezra,

What's your favorite powder is like asking what's your favorite patch lube or your favorite beer.  It's something for which people have personal preferences (some quite strong) for reasons that are sometimes quite esoteric.  When you ask that question you get a number of people each saying what their favorite powder is until all the powders are named.  What powder works for each of them is what they choose to use because of how the powder performs for them in their shooting or sometimes based merely on price.   I can only suggest that you buy a can of the different powders and try them out for yourself in your own shooting.  You can't determine which powder is best for you unless you've tried it out for yourself.  If you can't find a particular powder locally, you can probably find a fellow shooter that uses it and would be willing to sell or trade you a can to try.  When you decide which one works best for you in your shooting, then buy it in quantity on-line and get the better price. 

I've opined enough; it's five o'clock and time for a wee nip of Kentucky Sunshine.

Don Richards

Thank you Don, I agree 100% with your statement.  There is however encyclopedic knowledge on this forum and I wanted to exercise that.  So many guys, so much knowledge, some of it esoteric and almost always based on personal experience.  I understand that I need to try each one to compare and contrast, and I shall.  Oh, and enjoy that Kentucky “sunshine”.  8)

Ez

Black Jack

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2021, 09:39:00 PM »
I am presently using Old Eynsford and am well pleased with it. How much better than regular Goex? If I were a decent shot I could perhaps say.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2021, 09:49:16 PM »
I agree with Black Jack, in that in order to show a superiority of one over the other, much testing under controlled conditions would have to be completed, and if it was a close result, the tests would have to be repeated more than once. If there was a glaring difference, it would of course be observable earlier.
Daryl

Offline Magungo1066

• Starting Member
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2021, 09:49:48 PM »
I have used Goex and Swiss. I haven't really noticed a difference between the two but I have also not done any sort of studying or chronographing of each powder side by side. Goex is generally cheaper than Swiss, sometimes by a significant amount.

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2021, 12:04:37 AM »
In the early 2000's I had a Pedersoli Blue Ridge flintlock in 50 caliber.  I used 80 gr. of 3f and a .490 ball patched with greased pillow ticking.  I chronographed 80 grains of 3f Goex against the same charge of 3f Swiss.  I don't remember the exact numbers but the Goex chronographed 1700 and some FPS and the same charge of Swiss chronographed 1900 and some fps.   I still use Goex in my guns although I do have Swiss in my magazine for that special gun that needs it that hasn't came along yet.  Swiss definitely burns cleaner for sure and looks shinier and more consistent in the granules.

Bob

Offline Tilefish

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2021, 12:35:16 AM »
I have always shot GOEX because it was available locally. When I started ordering powder I gave SWISS a try. For me the SWISS gave better accuracy and more velocity. Will continue to buy SWISS. Just my two cents.
Chad

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2021, 01:03:53 AM »
Over the years I have shot Goex, Swiss, Elephant, Wano, Schutzen, and Old Enysford. Elephant was very dirty, and shot with lower velocity than any of the others.  Swiss & Old Enysford seem to be "hotter", and clean up somewhat easier though more expensive.  Wano, Goex & Schutzen seem to be on par with each other in regards to velocity and clean up. Now a days I only shoot Goex, as I seem to have plenty of that on hand.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2021, 02:48:41 AM »
 YES!!!! Use it!!!! Not some phony balony replica stuff!!!!!!!! If your not shooting in international competition, you probably won’t notice the difference.

Hungry Horse

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2021, 11:28:24 PM »
FWIW, I've never shot with a powder that was "bad".  A good friend uses Swiss almost exclusively and was kind enough to give me a can of 3F.  I've chronographed Elephant and Goex a few times and they do differ in velocity; but it takes a better shot than I am to tell any significant difference in accuracy.  Then again, Elephant especially, was said to have quality control issues.  The Swiss was impressive in the .32 however, and I may end up chronographing it.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2021, 12:45:20 AM »
Early in my life, I was a sailor....someone asked me one time what I thought the difference was between a "good" bottle of wine and a "bad" bottle. After a brief pause for contemplation I told him that, as a sailor, that was an easy question.....a "good" bottle is full and a "bad" bottle is empty !

Having never been a competitive shooter, I think the same thing about powder...a good can is full and a bad can is empty.  Not a very sophisticated answer, but if it makes my rifle or pistol go BANG, I'm happy with it.    ;)
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline wolf

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2021, 09:24:03 PM »
i have a lot of goex and goex Old eynsford. and a few pounds of swiss. i am a goex man. i have a 54 cal. that eats 2f goex Old eynsford like candy. my 40 gets regular 3f goex and my 62 cal. always got regular goex. i do not like the hard ring that develops 2in up from where the ball seats caused by swiss after about 5 shots,,,,,,,,,,,,
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2021, 09:48:44 PM »
i have a lot of goex and goex Old eynsford. and a few pounds of swiss. i am a goex man. i have a 54 cal. that eats 2f goex Old eynsford like candy. my 40 gets regular 3f goex and my 62 cal. always got regular goex. i do not like the hard ring that develops 2in up from where the ball seats caused by swiss after about 5 shots,,,,,,,,,,,,

You are right about the Swiss ring. An awfully lot of lubes that will pass muster with Goex are unusable with Swiss.