Author Topic: How to determine ball/patch size  (Read 1419 times)

Offline lexington1

How to determine ball/patch size
« on: July 01, 2021, 05:19:18 AM »
I know this was addressed before, but I'll be darned if I can find it with the search. Anyway, is there a formula to determine ball and patch size? I recently purchased a wall gun with a one inch bore size. I would preferably like to use patching around .20 thick. What size mold should I get? I will probably order a Tanner mold.

Offline bob in the woods

Re: How to determine ball/patch size
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 06:22:41 AM »
If the bore is an actual 1 in measurement, what is the depth of the grooves ?  As an example, my Colerain barrel in .54 cal. has round bottom grooves with a depth of .016.    I normally start off shooting any new rifle with a ball size 5 thou less than the bore so a .535 in a .54  ;  a .495 in a .50 etc.     That usually allows me to use a patch between .018 and .022 or so depending on the groove type and depth.   

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 05:19:26 PM »
With a new barrel I unbreech it. Then I take whatever ball I have, various patching, and short start and ram the patched ball down and out the breech. Examine the ball and patch. I want to see fabric weave marks all around the ball.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 06:10:17 PM »
I often take a 3 inch strip of ticking. I lube it and short start a ball and grab the ticking and yank the ball back out.  Often it reveals the patch weaving and land marks on the ball.  The ball sort of looks hexagonal.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 06:40:59 PM »
Good advice, but he doesn't have a ball yet. 

Offline lexington1

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 07:43:12 PM »
With a new barrel I unbreech it. Then I take whatever ball I have, various patching, and short start and ram the patched ball down and out the breech. Examine the ball and patch. I want to see fabric weave marks all around the ball.

That's what I do to, so I've never really had to think about it too much. In this case I don't have a ball, and outside of my 3 inch Parrott, I've never had a muzzleloader this size.

Offline lexington1

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 07:46:51 PM »
If the bore is an actual 1 in measurement, what is the depth of the grooves ?  As an example, my Colerain barrel in .54 cal. has round bottom grooves with a depth of .016.    I normally start off shooting any new rifle with a ball size 5 thou less than the bore so a .535 in a .54  ;  a .495 in a .50 etc.     That usually allows me to use a patch between .018 and .022 or so depending on the groove type and depth.

This is a smoothbore. The bore is exactly one inch.

Offline RichG

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 06:35:58 PM »
I shoot a .650 ball out of my .670 officers fusil with a .018-.020 patch. 1"- .040 would be .960. That would be a loose fit so maybe .970-.980 and adjust patch thickness accordingly.

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 07:10:59 AM »
Let's talk a little about your l gun.  My unit has a 1"wl gun a d we ha e fired it .re than a time or two.

First off, while it was called a long range musket, there is no rear sight.   There's no need to load it like a rifle. It should  e loaded like the piece of artillary that it is.   So you should be thinking of a loose fitting paper cartridge.   We use a 0.9i0" ball.  The powder charge is large.  160 grains to 240 grains with suffice. as we  aren't going to be  discouraging opposing cannon crews.

The paper wrapping acts as a wad taking up the windage.  If the paper wrapped ball is dipped in an oil/tallow a d bee's wax lubricant so much the better. 

The wall gun is an artillary piece and loading procedures should follow the same loading procedure one word use firing a cannon.

Offline lexington1

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2021, 08:11:58 PM »
Thanks for the info Mike. This one was built by Jess Mellott from the Rifle Shoppe. It came with one ball that really close to one inch. I don't think that this one has ever been fired. It has sort of rear sight. It's actually more of a concaved spot than anything. I bought this from TOW, so this picture is one that they had on the site.

json corrector online