Author Topic: Rum horns  (Read 1456 times)

Offline bob in the woods

Rum horns
« on: May 25, 2021, 03:19:12 AM »
For those familiar with making these, do you need to have two plugs in the horn ?
Or is one on the centre of the horn held horizontally good enough ?
I love to see some examples if anyone cares to post some photos.   I'm planning on using beeswax for lining.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
Re: Rum horns
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 11:52:02 AM »
I have seen them done both ways, but if two are present, is one hole for air?
TC
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 02:36:46 PM »
I’ll start by saying I have not made a rum horn yet, but have some blanks set aside for it someday.  I would start with a good white horn of at least medium thickness or more -  to better hold the stopper, as the top pour hole is a weak point in the horn body.  The nicer examples I’ve seen (contemporary and original) have a raised oval, diamond, or square-shaped escutcheon left high around the top pour hole for support of the stopper, and the rest of the horn body taken down around it to lighten the weight, and to help preserve the hole integrity over time. 

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 03:09:47 PM »
 On the ones I have made I used two holes the one on top when the plug is removed makes a vent so the Rum can flow better from the other. I tried one once with just one hole but it dribbled rather than poured. I used escutcheons but they are of a different material rather than part of the horn and fit into the horn body, the stoppers on this one are horn but I like wood better, it just seems to fit better. Bee's wax will work but without it they work just as well, the Rum will swell the wood some and they season like a barrel, I just leave some Rum in them. 

Tim C. 

« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 07:32:53 PM by Tim Crosby »

Eseabee1

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 03:46:27 PM »
I have always wanted to make one just have not found the right horn yet.  But have seen it done both ways I noticed with just one hole on the top. That the liquid dribbles out unless you hold it correctly. Kinda like putting oil in your vehicle. With the second hole the liquid comes out much easier like getting water from a water keg.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 04:19:24 PM »
That is a beautiful rum horn Tim.  Really warm looking and well done. 

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 11:09:51 AM »
Beautifully done horn.

No one wants their rum to flow poorly!