Author Topic: Help identify maker.  (Read 3406 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Help identify maker.
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2021, 03:41:28 PM »
I can't see anything Eyetalian there. I'd say Liege/Utrecht.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2021, 06:38:55 PM »
I can't see anything Eyetalian there. I'd say Liege/Utrecht.

I'm with you, Mike.  A pretty cheap Dutch gun probably made for the Eastern market.  There are lots of these around. 

Jim

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
Thanks 😊 Re: Help identify maker.
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2021, 12:23:34 AM »
Gentlemen I suggest you two open the links that Mr Young has posted, and look and read . I think you two should inform Those European auction houses they don’t know what they are selling , also some of these American auction houses that have sold pistols by G.Meza. And give that respected dealer from San Diego,Cal. Mr. Mike D_   a call and tell him that this pistol was ( an I quote) a “Cheap”Belgium piece.” As it was acquired from him. Gentlemen I’ve been collecting since the late 50’s . But so manny
Of the comments on this forum from some of the so called experts, are so negative. I understand why some collectors refuse to post any of their collection on here.
I will quote Sherlock Holmes in A Study In Scarlet,
“IT IS A CAPiTAL MISTAKE TO THEORIZE BEFORE YOU HAVE ALL THE EVIDENCE. IT BIASES THE JUDGMENT.”

Bob M.

It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Thanks 😊 Re: Help identify maker.
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2021, 12:50:42 AM »
Gentlemen I suggest you two open the links that Mr Young has posted, and look and read . I think you two should inform Those European auction houses they don’t know what they are selling , also some of these American auction houses that have sold pistols by G.Meza. And give that respected dealer from San Diego,Cal. Mr. Mike D_   a call and tell him that this pistol was ( an I quote) a “Cheap”Belgium piece.” As it was acquired from him. Gentlemen I’ve been collecting since the late 50’s . But so manny
Of the comments on this forum from some of the so called experts, are so negative. I understand why some collectors refuse to post any of their collection on here.
I will quote Sherlock Holmes in A Study In Scarlet,
“IT IS A CAPiTAL MISTAKE TO THEORIZE BEFORE YOU HAVE ALL THE EVIDENCE. IT BIASES THE JUDGMENT.”

Bob M.
I'm used to being told I'm wrong. But I'm not wrong. And...This IS a low quality export piece. The mounts are horrific as are the mounts they put on their Liege/Utrecht fowling guns. The mounts are IDENTICAL.   The sideplate that is on this pistol isn't the one it was built with. Most people don't know anything at all about Liege/Utrecht guns. This gun has absolutely nothing to do with Italy, not even remotely.
So. over all you're telling me I don't know jack $#@* and if I don't go along with the status quo I'm an idiot.... ::)
I would suggest this would be good advice you should follow. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2021, 01:01:31 AM »
Being one of the folks that will not post any more of my guns on here, I have to agree with the Cajun.

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2021, 01:41:54 AM »
I seem to remember reading somewhere on this forum, about posting something and asking to have it commented on. I'm I correct or just suffering the effects of the heat down here in Florida?
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2021, 02:18:11 AM »
I seem to remember reading somewhere on this forum, about posting something and asking to have it commented on. I'm I correct or just suffering the effects of the heat down here in Florida?
That would be rule 4.
Rule 3 says if you post it, be prepared to have it ripped to shreds by certain non-collector x-sperts!

That's why no one posts anything here any longer.....
John Robbins

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2021, 02:49:34 AM »
I believe the OP asked if anybody could help with information about the name G. Meza on the lock. He did not ask for opinion's of where it was made or if it was of any value.  There are a number of comments on this post that have nothing to do with the name on the lock, mine included. I have apologized to the OP in person for my comment. There is only one person that actually posted something directly related to the OP's question and that was Carl Young. Regardless if the other information was right or wrong it had nothing to do with OP question. Let's try to remember our manors for this is a public forum. If you don't have something positive to say then it probably shouldn't be said.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2021, 03:22:16 AM »
I believe the OP asked if anybody could help with information about the name G. Meza on the lock. He did not ask for opinion's of where it was made or if it was of any value.  There are a number of comments on this post that have nothing to do with the name on the lock, mine included. I have apologized to the OP in person for my comment. There is only one person that actually posted something directly related to the OP's question and that was Carl Young. Regardless if the other information was right or wrong it had nothing to do with OP question. Let's try to remember our manors for this is a public forum. If you don't have something positive to say then it probably shouldn't be said.
Mr Parker what do you think these Xperts would say of the Moll and the Angstadt that you had a chance to examine at the Knoxville show? I think they had those cheap Belgium barrels on them also.
Of course the Angdstat was raised carved. Rocket science...!

It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2021, 03:01:26 PM »
I think we need to move on from this topic
This topic is locked.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson