Author Topic: A long time goal achieved- Spring Gobbler with a flintlock  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Re: A long time goal achieved- Spring Gobbler with a flintlock
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2021, 11:05:13 PM »
        I would like to add a bit to this story:  The fowler is a Bucks Co. gun based on the work of E. Bloom.  The original was owned by a Tom Paulhamus of Montoursville, PA.  I was exhibiting with Tom  at Fort Freeland Heritage Days.   I there photographed the gun and measured it for future reference.  The original was possibly built for military service as it had a iron ramrod, but no provision for a bayonet.   I built one copy for myself which was later sold.  I was then approached by a client who had a 16 ga. barrel built by the late Don Getz, and wanted a copy of the Bloom fowler.  The fowler was constructed as per the original.  Interestingly the original was decorated with two Indian heads one just forward of the lock panel on each side, very much like the Antes swivel rifle.   A Durs Egg lock was a near match for the original, and was used.  The wrist inlay was a circle with a sawtooth edge all the way around, a bear to inlet.   The original owner sold the fowler after a few years of use and it then went to a friend of the present owner.   I believer the the gun has found a forever home, and will get good use and care.   All the Best ---Ron                   
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2021, 11:53:15 PM »
Thanks for some backstory, Ron!

Do you recall what bore the original Bloom gun had? Just curious.

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2021, 02:35:04 AM »
May I ask where you got the TSS shot???

Gentleman named Tommy Duliba. He doesn’t have a store, per se. He is on various turkey hunting forums and sells shot.

Google can find him too.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2021, 03:10:44 AM »
       Tom the original rifle was about 60 cal.  I made the first copy with a 46" 62 cal. barrel made to the original measurement's by Ed Rayl.  The barrel on your copy is a bit shorter and a little larger bore than the original.   The original has a bit more negative pitch to the butt plate than I used on the copies.  Too much negative pitch can cause a gun to jump up off your shoulder and kiss your cheek---hard.   

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard