Author Topic: Chambers fowler kit  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Rt5403

Chambers fowler kit
« on: May 28, 2021, 04:30:30 AM »
So I ordered a chambers New England fowler militia musket kit back in March. Expecting it probably about late July sometime. I ordered it in .12 ga with the round faced English lock and the high grade maple. Anyone built one have any advice or tips on this build?

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Chambers fowler kit
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 06:56:45 AM »
I have built 3 of them. Have you any experience with building "kits" ?    If not, it is worth the $ to get the assembly video/DVD that Chambers sells.  Keep your chisels sharp.  The parts are inlet but not completely. I look at the inlets as more of location indicators than actual inlets. The barrel channels needed work to get the barrels seated to my satisfaction, but if you look at the kit as a good collection of parts with most of the overall work done for you.. you end up with a fabulous gun. 
Here's one I did about 15 years ago

Offline Rt5403

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 08:06:22 PM »
That's what I've been hearing. I haven't done a full fledged kit yet. I have redone some rifles and inlet a new forend onto a musket and then inlet and fit the barrel bands. I hope I can handle this. I will be asking alot of questions. I know it will take me a while but I am going to take my time. I'm in the process of building a small bench to work on it with. I will by tools as needed to complete it. I appreciate all the help.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 04:38:23 AM »
Rt5403,
I reiterate what Bob said, get the Chambers DVD on building his kits. It is well done by Jim Turpin and he covers a lot in it. I am not sure about the Fowler but with his rifle kits, Jim shows how to move the barrel back about 1/8” to get the touchhole in front of the breech plug. If you do not, you may have to notch the breech plug for the touch hole based on the pre-inlet lock. bob may be able to more advise you on this point but an entire group of us in a class did not do as Jim Turpin said and all had to notch our breech plug faces. Other than that take your time, use inletting black or soot and go slow. Oh, by the way have fun!
elkhorne

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 06:36:13 PM »
I’ve built a couple in 10g.  Great turkey gun with a jug choke. Would think it would be a great gun for deer or elk as well.

In His grip,

Dane

Offline Rt5403

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 05:12:56 PM »
Well box arrived yesterday. All I'm waiting on is the barrel and trigger guard. Everything looks awesome. Can't say enough about the Chambers company and family. Grey people to work with and a great product will post pictures later when I can.

Offline Rt5403

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022, 04:42:03 AM »
Planned on putting more pictures but taking too long to download. I have the kit fully assembled and rough shaped. I have definitely made some rookie mistakes. I have some gaps I have to fix among other things. I have really enjoyed the process so far it hasn't scared me off. I still have some sanding and scraping to do, along with rust blueing the barrel and lock. I have learned alot in this process especially fixing my screw ups. Thank you all for the info and help so far.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2022, 02:27:07 PM »
  Everyone screws up. It's how you fix it that counts. Plus you learn more from goof ups than anything else...
 Good luck with your build...  Oldtravler