General discussion > Shop Made Tools

Cutting Threads on a Lathe.

<< < (2/2)

yellowhousejake:
For those who have a screw on chuck like me, you need to flip the cutter upside down to run it from the back and cut the threads away from the chuck. Just reversing the headstock direction and cutting with the tool right side up can cause the chuck to loosen.

DAve

James Rogers:

--- Quote from: yellowhousejake on June 01, 2021, 06:24:16 AM ---For those who have a screw on chuck like me, you need to flip the cutter upside down to run it from the back and cut the threads away from the chuck. Just reversing the headstock direction and cutting with the tool right side up can cause the chuck to loosen.

DAve

--- End quote ---

Mine is a screw on also

Bsharp:
Mine is a screw on, never had it loosen.

It doesn't have a brake, just coasts to a stop. That could make a difference.

You are just making light cuts.

Any way works well for me and  my brother and his 1954 Southbend. Screw on chuck.

If you are using a 5C collet, they will not un-screw.

P.W.Berkuta:
Look on YouTube for Joe Pieczynski's videos - this guy is SHARP and full of good information. He shows you how to thread with the tool upside down and reversing the rotation of the work which will make the carriage travel towards the tailstock. I have a 12" X 36" older Jet 2 HP lathe with a screw on chuck but I use collets (I have 1/16" to 1-1/8" sizes) 90% of the time so unscrewing of the chuck is a non-issue for me.

Bsharp:

Another chart, it is in columns. Top to bottom.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version