Author Topic: Recommend a bandsaw for home shop.  (Read 7645 times)

Offline RedRiverII

Recommend a bandsaw for home shop.
« on: May 31, 2021, 12:09:09 PM »
I'm looking for a bandsaw for building some rifle stocks.  Which bandsaw would you recommend?  I did search the site for a good bandsaw but did not locate a thread worth my while,  I am not saying one doesn't exist.  Thank you in advance.

Offline flehto

Re: Recommend a bandsaw for home shop.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 03:08:30 PM »
Many years ago I bought a 14" free standing Jet bandsaw and found it to be well suited to do its primary task....sawing LR blanks. After spending a few years in a tool room and using the bigger Doall bandsaws, found the plastic block blade guides insufficient for accurately   sawing on the line. So bought a pair of ball bearing  guides which did the job and saved some time on later wood removal. Otherwise have had no problems w/ the Jet.......Fred

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 03:13:59 PM »
        I have used a Grizzly Ultimate 14" to build nearly 400 longrifles.  With good carbide blades I can saw accurately right to the point of doing most of the profiling of the stock with the bandsaw.  I find it to be a very good saw at the price point. 
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline sdilts

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 03:42:53 PM »
I picked up a 14" Rikon on sale at Woodcraft a few years ago. It's been a great saw. Sawn a lot of blanks with it.

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 04:14:32 PM »
Thank you all.  So,  Jet, Rikon,  and Grizzly have served you well.  I have never owned a bandsaw and wondered if the companies you mentioned,  which I'm not familiar with,  are worthwhile.  I should have asked about the blades as well,  any recommendations on good blades,  and sizes for roughing in a LR blank?

Offline LilysDad

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 04:29:58 PM »
In addition to those is the original Rockwell 14". Blade size is largely determined by the usage; 1/8"-1/4" for scroll work, 3/8"-1/2" for resawing and straight cuts.

Additionally, if your going to spend much time cutting thick timber it pays to upgrade your saw to at least 3/4hp motor.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 04:33:06 PM by LilysDad »

Offline wapiti22

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 07:19:31 PM »
A 14 inch Jet or Grizzly will be just fine. Get the best blade you can find!

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 07:34:23 PM »
I have the bandsaw from a Shopsmith.  I got it for $5.  I rigged a stand and a motor.  I installed new tires.  It works well, no complaints.  The blades are a weird size that I order direct from Shopsmith.  I tried using a metal cutting blade, it is to stiff and did not pan out. 

I also have a Delta that uses a 56 1/8" blade.  The motor runs the bottom wheel directly.  IT is OK for light cuts in wood.  It will smoke the blade if you try to cut steel.  It was free, no complaints, I would not buy one. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 09:18:42 PM by Scota4570 »

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 08:09:32 PM »
I have a Delta 14" it works.

To up grade to full roller guides is the cost of the saw.

The "key" is to square up the blade properly.

Depends on how much you use it......on how much to spend.
Get Close and Wack'em Hard!

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 01:09:25 AM »
I should have added I'll spend up to $1200.  I just don't want a lemon.  I see a Poter Cable for,  at or around $566.  I liked Porter Cable tools for plumbing and roughing in work but the price is throwing me off.  Jet and Grizzly have me confused as well.  I've seen the same machine for $900 and another seemingly exit machine for $1150.  Anyhow I'm closing in on a machine.  I have those ball bearing guides in stainless on my mind.  How many saws have them already installed?

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 01:16:31 AM »
Check Craigslist, lot of good tools show up there.  It where I found my Rikon bandsaw. 

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 02:15:46 AM »
I have a 17" Grizzly for about 12 yrs now.  2 hp motor, a bit of overkill for building, but i use it for other things as well.  It came with a resaw fence, which works like a charm.  The saw comes stock with double row ball bearing guides.  The only thing I would want additionally would be a foot brake, but that is a want, not need.  Never had a problem with this saw, works great.  Just take your time and get it set up correctly for each blade change, and as others have mentioned, an assortment of quality blades for the particular work you will be doing is a must.

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2021, 03:06:22 AM »
I have also have a Shopsmith bandsaw in my basement workshop that works fine, mine is still connected to a Mark V model Shopsmith with the variable speed motor. With the 72" 1/2" 4 TPI Timberwolf blade it is an excellent saw that has never had a problem cutting through thick maple blanks. You can pick these up cheap locally and the Shopsmith has multiple other functions which makes it very versatile.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 04:03:21 AM »
  Well I have three. A Delta 14 inch an two 12 inch Craftsman.
 They all work well for cutting stocks out. The Delta has a 1/2 inch top blade. The two Chraftsman have smaller blades for more delicate work.
 They all do their job an all are over twenty years old.
Have $250 in the lot.
Oldtravler

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2021, 10:13:52 AM »
Great recommendations above, especially about upgrading your guides. Timber Wolf blades are about the best you can buy and are miles better than the average blade available. I have a nice little Jet 14". Works a peach.

Offline FDR

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2021, 03:15:46 PM »
You can't beat Highland Woodworking for blades. They have/make custom sizes as well.

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/about-us.aspx

Fred

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2021, 03:38:26 PM »
Thank you folks,  the info is much appreciated.  As a new guy here and to this interest,  I wonder if there is a special time of year for sales and special pricing?  I don't plan on using the bandsaw for several months.  I am waiting on a Kit that won't be here for a month and a half,  although I do have a fresh plank waiting to be marked up and cut.  One thing at a time or I'll get lost in the sauce.  Does anyone have an idea for finding older equipment or used?  What type of places would I visit in search of used equipment?  I know that's a difficult question as I find myself thinking of going to a lumber yard,  milling place etc.  I had several opportunities to take equipment for free when I was a working guy.  Band saws,  drill presses,  lathes and such,  but didn't need them.  I watched them thrown out in the dumpsters.  I knew it was a terrible waste but what could you do?  Well,  at least time is on my side and I'll search some more.  I guess I'll sell some equipment and stuff in the meantime and gather some cash.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 03:50:34 PM by REDRIVERII »

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2021, 06:02:45 PM »
Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace for used equipment.

Usually sales pop up around Memorial day, Father's day, Black Friday, etc, etc. But the problem is nobody can get any of these saws in stock and they are back ordered for months so it is unlikely that they will put something on sale that they can't get and when they do get they can't keep in stock anyways cause they fly off the proverbial shelves cause there's already a long list of people who pre-ordered them. This goes for online retailers and physical locations. Unless you have a Woodcraft nearby you will probably have to order it online from a reputable dealer and they send out coupon codes for a percentage off items. You have to sign up with your email address to receive them and sometimes those coupon codes have restrictions and don't apply to larger power tools.

Also, the prices on everything are going through the roof and there is no end in sight to any of this so a more prudent strategy to acquiring a saw would be to search one out and try to purchase it as soon as possible before another price hike hits rather than wait for a sale that will likely not happen anytime soon and if it does it will probably still cost you more anyways than when you first started looking.

The Porter Cable you mentioned earlier is not a good saw. You get what you pay for. There's probably someone here who got one, tuned it up, has a pathway strategy for turning it into a great saw for less than 50 bucks but I imagine for most consumers of that saw it is something they plunk in their garage and use it twice a year while they kick themselves for not spending a bit more.     

It sounds like you are going to want a 14" bandsaw based on your budget and needs. Your viable options are going to be the Grizzly G0555, the Grizzly G0555LX, the Jet Jet JWBS-14CS, or the Rikon 10-324tg. I would go for the Rikon. Keep in mind that "free shipping" usually doesn't apply to heavier freight items like bandsaws and when it actually does that's because they already hiked the price up to accomodate for it so you're usually paying for it either way. If you had a bit more wiggle room in your budget you could also look into the Rikon 10-326 or Laguna 1412 that go for around 1200 plus taxes and shipping and blades.

Keep in mind that the saw is only as good as the blade you use and the blades that come with any bandsaw are notoriously bad (the Laguna doesn't even come with a blade) and it's sort of assumed you will replace it first thing after setting up the saw. Timber Wolf and Laguna make some of the best blades but Olson are also good. Also, take a look at the blade length and width range when selecting a saw as certain blade lengths are more common than others and therefor your options and availability for blades will vary from saw to saw.           

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2021, 06:36:25 PM »
Great post Frozen Run,  thank you for your help.  I was looking at those very bandsaws you mentioned.  Then the Laguna snuck in there.  I need to see those reviews as well.  I have wiggle room for more money but don't necessarily want to throw it away.  i.e.  If two similar machines are $200 apart I always want to know why.  Thank you once again.

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2021, 07:51:30 PM »
Glad I could help. I am in a similar quandary as yourself as I need to upgrade out of my old bandsaw. I was originally looking at the entry level Jet or Grizzly as I had determined (with much guidance) those were the absolute bare minimum you had to spend to get a solid machine (unless of course you pick up a Craftsman 12 or something on craigslist). But then I determined that I use a bandsaw so much and it is such a versatile machine that I could justify spending a few hundred dollars more to get something much better, around your budget of about $1200. Which is where I'm at now between a Rikon or Laguna. So 800+ will get you something serviceable but for 1000-1200 you get a solid frame, a much larger table, a more powerful motor, better parts, better construction, built in resaw height, a more heavy duty tensioner, etc, etc. I feel like the Rikon 10-324tg is the sweet spot right now for price-performance at around $950 unless you plan on doing a lot of heavy resawing. Though with the way things are going with availability you could make a compelling argument for the 10-326 which is probably were I'll end up at anyways as it seems they are "easier" to get a hold of nowadays?

Take online reviews with a grain of salt, most people making reviews are nuts and they also abuse their tools. I'm also sort of getting tempted by the Laguna 1412, it's in the same tier as the Rikon 10-326 but it's a hundred bucks less and appears to be similar or better in every category. The Laguna uses ceramic blocks for their guides instead of bearings like the Rikon. One of the top reviewers for the Laguna 1412 on youtube gave it a bad review because he claimed the ceramic guides are plated and wear out too quickly. One of the top comments for that video was a guy who explained to him that they were solid ceramic blocks and not plated. That it would cost Laguna more to plate a suitable substrate in ceramic than to just provide solid blocks, and if they were plating them that they would only plate the working surface and not the entire block, and that it was not a wearing down of the ceramic that he was seeing but since ceramic is harder than steel that it was the blade wearing off on the ceramic and not the other way around, and that this was happening because he had the saw set up wrong, and then explained to him how to set it up the right way and some other engineering stuff and the reviewer just started arguing with the man. It was completely incredulous.

The other takeaway from reviews, things you're probably already aware of but 99% of online reviewers aren't, is that tensioner guides and fence rules are always wrong. You always tension and measure from the blade. But they'll 2 or 3 star the best saw on Earth because they don't know any better.

Another thing I just remembered seeing the other day is some youtube guy reviewing his Laguna 1412 equipped with a Laguna Saw King blade. The Saw King is a $150 carbide blade designed for really intensive resawing, stuff like veneers, and this absolute lunatic was making these resaw cuts without a push stick or anything! He had the entire palm of his hand flat passing through what looked to be an eighth away from a blade that could saw off a cow's leg with very little problem. I get a little dizzy just thinking about it.

Anyway, my takeaway between ceramic vs bearing is that ceramic guides are much better in just about every way except they do wear down (after years, not months like the one youtuber said) and you will have to replace them eventually and they cost about 100 bucks or so whereby bearings are still pretty close to being as nice and while you may have to replace them at some point you can get by with slightly worn out bearings much better than slightly worn out blocks, so long term it seems like bearings are the better way to go?       
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 08:11:57 PM by Frozen Run »

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2021, 10:14:14 PM »
I did see a few of the vids you mention.  I'll be reviewing more as time permits,  right now too many chores and errands in the way.  My best takeaway came from you,  getting at least an order in soon.  Why the hubbub on bandsaws?  Running out of stock doesn't make sense.  They can't be running a build when ordered process.  Covid?  I'll be looking at the Laguna and Jet for today,  right after watching Midway one more time.  I'm going off track for a moment but if you watch the Japanese version of Midway it's a bit different.  In either event those pilots and their sense of duty was/is remarkable.  It was such a desperate fight...  I get carried away sometimes.

Thanks again for a remarkable post and I'd like to stay informed of any decisions you may make.  If I gotta go for more dough I can.  I'm about to let loose some rifles and handguns that I don't use and gather some cash.  Thank you Sir.

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2021, 07:51:55 AM »
I'd like to stay informed of any decisions you may make.

Honestly, and I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but the new tool desire is starting to wear off with all this wait time. I think I'm just going to get a Craftsman 12 off craigslist. More than enough saw to cut out blanks or small projects and with the money I save I can get parts for a build or two.

As far as the the Jet goes, what turned me off from the $800 dollar Jet was that the tensioner bracket is made out of die-cast zinc and is expensive to replace if or when it cracks. I'm not sure if this is a big problem with them or if it is just a fluke some people experience with neglect, but it was a concern.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 08:18:22 AM by Frozen Run »

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2021, 12:32:53 PM »
I would never be embarrassed to change my mind,  or decide to do other than my initial thought.  That's how our minds work best if allowed to.  It's like honing a knife.  When we hone in on an idea and stop when it is sharpest.  A decision is best based on what we want to do.  The ancestry made rifles in an effort to fight off an enemy.  They used whatever was available and had at it.    I think a 12" Craftsman from Craigslist is a terrific idea.  I'd be happy to own one.  It sure as heck beats a hand saw for trimming a blank.  I'd be proud to own a good hand saw as well.  I could trim the blank with a knife if I had an invading enemy coming.  Yada yada it goes on and on.  What works best for you is hat is best. The heck with any imagined admirers. 

I noticed that each time I look at a particular brand the next step up seems better.  Better for what?  Does it fit my needs is what I ask after the coolness factor wears off.  If it does I've made a new decision.  I don't plan on re-sawing any time soon.  Most ads make it known that "... this saw re-saws well because of the stronger motor."  Well I still don't plan on re-sawing and the push toward a stronger motor means zilch.  The blades are what is important and at $159 per I bet a Craftsman purrs with that blade.  Money doesn't make the man,  man makes the money. 

I'm older and have allowed myself to become a bit weaker,  mother nature has helped in that area as well.  If I allow myself to become angry at that condition I'll do something about it.  What kind of handsaw would you recommend for trimming a blank?  I can add I will get a surefire rasp.  Let me say I'll be buying a bandsaw.  I still don't know which one but the fellas here have gave me much to think about.

True story follows,  I used a sawzall, ( reciprocating saw) for many many years.  I could cut a squared off line in a 4" galvanized pipe in the dark while on a ladder putting me inside a drop ceiling.  We did that for repairs of large work so as to put a repair coupling.  I was the go to guy for those cuts.  It gave me pleasure to have that ability.  I kiss the pipe with the blade,  no forced entry so to speak.  When they issued me Milwaukee blades it took twice as long and twice the amount of blades compared to my favorite Lennox blades.  Take the extra money and buy the best blades available.  @Bob McBride says Timberwolf is the blade to get,  I'll be taking his advice,  perhaps you should as well.  The blades are key to a better cut.

Back to more mental gymnastics reading reviews and such.  Thanks for your post.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2021, 07:20:38 PM »
  Check out garage , yard sales and Estate sales in your area. More times than not. You can find what you need for next to nothing.   Oldtravler

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2021, 08:07:44 PM »
Thanks @oldtraveler61,  just what I wanted to hear.  Going fishing this weekend for bargains.