Author Topic: Recommend a bandsaw for home shop.  (Read 7648 times)

Offline Frozen Run

Re: Recommend a bandsaw for home shop.
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2021, 08:10:18 PM »
What kind of handsaw would you recommend for trimming a blank?

I have an instructor who uses a bow saw for cutting out blanks. I will ask him next time I call what type he uses and what blades.

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2021, 10:51:45 PM »
Cool,  but Dang brother,  when I see you add to the thread I expect one of those two page magazine type replies.  Half joking,  but thank you in advance for your consideration.

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2021, 07:21:13 AM »
Sorry, I never cut out a blank with a handsaw. What do you mean by trimming it? Cutting it out from a blank or adjusting it after it is cut out?

Also, my friend was unimpressed with the Craftsman 12 but said he would have to see one in person to come to a conclusion on it, so I am probably going back to my original choice of a Rikon 10-324tg.   

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2021, 10:10:09 AM »
I'm half asleep/  No eye classes either.  Removing the excess pf bilk from the plank.  Back to bed... Later

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2021, 07:38:54 PM »
  Just for what it's worth ( ?) I have cut about 25 full size gunstocks. With my 12 inch Craftsman. Using the proper blade. You should not have any problems cutting stocks with it.
 Not to be rude. But I quit taking advice about equipment from people who have never used it. Just saying.   Oldtravler

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2021, 07:44:31 PM »
There's not really any excess to saw out, you trace a profile on the blank and then cut on that line. If you started from a generic precarve, you could use a coping saw to cut out the butt plate profile. In general a coping saw is handy to have if you are into muzzleloading as they are nice for so many adjacent projects.

The most important handsaw to have is a hacksaw. Just about every part you get needs to be modified to fit your project. A hacksaw is also useful for making stop cuts when hogging out your stock, hogging out wood is a bit advanced so it may be prudent depending on a person's level of experience to avoid that and just go slow with it for their first couple of builds. They're also useful for cutting out escutcheons, triggers, trigger plates, rr pipes, or other things you want to fabricate from various types of sheet metal.

A jewelers saw is also nice for cutting out really detailed escutcheons.     
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 07:55:57 PM by Frozen Run »

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2021, 08:10:45 PM »
Thank you sir.

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2021, 08:19:30 PM »
Not to be rude. But I quit taking advice about equipment from people who have never used it.

Not rude at all, I appreciate honest criticism, it's much more helpful than sugarcoating something.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 08:25:00 PM by Frozen Run »

Online T*O*F

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2021, 08:57:46 PM »
Just for what it's worth ( ?) I have cut about 25 full size gunstocks. With my 12 inch Craftsman. Using the proper blade. You should not have any problems cutting stocks with it.
To go one better, I used a 10 inch Craftsman benchtop model for about 5 years when I first started.....because its what I had.  It worked fine except I had to use a roller system when doing long planks.  When it comes right down to it, they all work.  It's just a matter of how much disposable income you have and how nitpicky you are.  Opinions are subjective.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2021, 08:59:52 PM »
I want an old Craftsman 14 and will pick one up someday.  My price range. 

In the meanwhile I picked up an el-cheapo second hand because a friend's dad left it.  Came with six blades---none of them cut for boogers.

I got the Wood Slicer blade (Highland) and now it cuts hardwood like a dream (just not quickly), but part of the guide assemble crapped out and I've repaired it because new guides cost about twice what I paid for the machine.

In case anyone here has ever had any questions on setup: There's one video on YT worth watching for learning a few things about bandsaws from a true bandsaw guru.  It's Alex Snodgrass, who takes a break from selling his line of stuff to simply help folks understand better their proper setup and use of a bandsaw. If I hadn't seen this video I might have never gotten satisfactory results from the little machine I have.

I was lucky to see Alex's video first.  Then I looked at a bunch of others, all the rest were pretty much a waste of time.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 09:49:28 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2021, 01:41:57 AM »
Thanks for the post WadePatton,  I've just sat with a dropped jaw for most of the video.  Having zero experience with a bandsaw the twists and turns done by Alex Snodgrass seemed remarkable.  I am aware he has 22 years experience and can saw with speed but I thought you need a jigsaw to do all those type cuts.  ???  Maybe I missed something,  was the second machine a jig saw?

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2021, 01:20:31 AM »
Eyes Front!

It is a great thread and wonderful replies that I appreciate.  My search has ended for now. 

"  Hey Dom,  do you have a bandsaw?" 

This guy is my neighbor and is just across the street from me.  I hear his turning machine buzzing most mornings and have visited his garage/shop a few times.  He even cut a piece of wood for me when I had my bathroom redone,  but that's it.  I enjoy listening to him working and it sorta sets the rhythm of my morning wakeup in the garage/cave.

" Yep" he replied with the gusto of someone just noticing an unexpected invoice of $3000 that he forgot about.  His lackluster reply had me thinking of not asking any follow up questions.  I decided to continue anyway.

"  What size?"

" 14 inch ".  Now his chin raised a bit higher off his chest and his eyes focused just a bit more on me.  His stare reminded me of a hawk that sees a field mouse but just ain't hungry enough to stand erect from his perch.

"Wow,  what kind?",  I expressed  a keen interest,  and with genuine curiosity in my voice.  The message was clear,  he had another guy truly interested in his shop and tools.

He threw out the name and I thought by his peer he was expecting a shrug,  or a uh huh.  When I replied " Hey top shelf stuff buddy."  I sorta knew,  and he certainly knew that Laguna makes a fine machine.   Well he finally revealed his neck because he was standing fully upright,  almost at Attention.  The eyes tell all,  even from a distance.  The Hawk was loose,  he pierced the distance we shared with a recognition.  A compatriot,  or at the very least a guy a step above the norm.

" I'm looking to buy one."

" Hey,   why would you do that?  C'mon over and use this one."  That made my day,  not only do I have access to a fine saw I can ask a fully experienced woodworker questions.  Sometimes you just never know where the good Lord is going to throw a blessing your way.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2021, 02:12:33 AM »
Thanks for the post WadePatton,  I've just sat with a dropped jaw for most of the video.  Having zero experience with a bandsaw the twists and turns done by Alex Snodgrass seemed remarkable.  I am aware he has 22 years experience and can saw with speed but I thought you need a jigsaw to do all those type cuts.  ???  Maybe I missed something,  was the second machine a jig saw?

The "trick" to the tight bends he makes on that second machine is the different setup and guide system he sells, and a narrow blade. As easy as it looks and all, it's not the sort of setup we want for resawing and working with blanks. Yes I'd love to try that sort of setup out, but it'll be the second or third saw, not my primary. Glad you found the video helpful.

The quick little check he teaches for table to blade squareness is well-worth the "price of admission". Understanding exactly how to set up guides is quite helpful too.  Knowing how tires should be set up and what problems the can cause or solve is handy info as well. Couple that stuff with a well-built machine and you should be a happy sawyer for a long time.

--GREAT LUCK you had with the neighbor.  Congrats.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 02:30:55 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2021, 03:18:34 AM »
As a longtime shop teacher I must say I cringed watching that video. He is very good with a bandsaw, but leaving the guard up and making those quick little cuts was all about showmanship and not about safety. In my opinion it is people like him that get too familiar and lax about safety that wind up in the ER getting parts reattached.

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2021, 05:39:13 AM »
missing finger syndrome

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2021, 05:46:57 AM »
Slow is fast.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2021, 11:58:48 PM »
Ca. 1980, A shop teacher at my high school cut off two fingers while doing a bandsaw safety demonstration for the class.

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2021, 01:06:56 AM »
Accidents happen, I just don't go
 looking for them and I try not to model bad behavior to my students. Your shop teacher sounds like he needed a refresher on the basic safety of his machine. One of the most basic rules of bandsaw safety is to place the blade guard so only about 1/4" of the blade is exposed above the workpiece. This adds additional support to the blade and covers most of it so your chances of blade contact are reduced. The other is to keep your fingers 2" away from the blade at all times. The gentleman knows bandsaws, but his techniques bother me because many who are less experienced will likely try to immitate his actions and at some point someone will get themselves hurt.

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2021, 01:58:42 AM »
I was in a machine shop class at a community college back in the late 70's and I saw the guy in front of me cut off two fingers. The class instructor went white and the guy turned around and almost fainted, The bandsaw seems benign when compared to say a table saw or shaper but it cuts fast and accidents can happen just as fast. Operating machines metal or woodworking machines safely cannot be mentioned too much.
Rob

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2021, 03:43:07 AM »
Ca. 1980, A shop teacher at my high school cut off two fingers while doing a bandsaw safety demonstration for the class.

Mr Airhart [sp]?
Get Close and Wack'em Hard!

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2021, 07:02:41 AM »
What a lesson,  in that regard A.S.'s video is not a good instuctional how-to for sure.  Don't try this at home!

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2021, 03:51:39 PM »

That's how you really make an impression on the kids. I wonder if that class was more safety oriented than students from other schools as a result.  I knew a fellow with a prosthetic hand.  Meat-cutting band saw got him. Knock wood I've kept most of my digits this far.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2021, 05:00:40 PM »
saw my old JR/SR High shop teacher years ago. His wife was also an English teacher at the school .. I said Hi Mr Tinkler, howz it going, and shook his hand ( minus parts of three fingers )
we talked a bit and Anne asked what I was up to.. Told them about my job and my Hobby machining and building black powder guns. She took a glance over my hands
and turned to Bernard " well he obviously didn't listen to you in class... He still has all of his fingers!!! "

Oh My BUUURN  ;D ;D ;D

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline snapper

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2021, 06:20:58 PM »
I have an old Craftsman that I inherited from my wife's grandfather.   It is very old.   I keep thinking I need an upgrade, but when I consider that it does everything I ask of it I talk myself out of it.

There is no fence and the size of the blades are not standard are just a couple of the issues.

After cutting myself twice on a table saw and not doing any major damage I have gotten very careful with the power tools.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2021, 11:29:26 AM »
Considering all that has been said on this thread I may not need a bandsaw any longer.  It sounds like a super tool to have but I'm not sure I need one at this point.  I'm not in a hurry,  no Redcoats coming my way anytime soon as Mr. Peabody and Sherman haven't been around in a while.  I had a bit of luck over the last forty years in not having experienced any serious industrial accidents on the job.  Safety is always # 1 in my book.  All my injuries have been from repetitive motions and trying to lift heavy object beyond my ability.  I'll need to figure or learn a way to cut away waste from the form I seek from a plank.  Those two and three finger remarks leave a horrible impression.  Thank you all.