Author Topic: Recommend a bandsaw for home shop.  (Read 7637 times)

Offline Frozen Run

Re: Recommend a bandsaw for home shop.
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2021, 11:57:09 AM »
A bandsaw is among the safest power tools that exists when used properly.

One thing you may want to consider is contacting the NMLRA and signing up for Mike Brooks' building from a blank class he's instructing in October.       
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 05:57:27 AM by Frozen Run »

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2021, 04:54:45 PM »
It is easy to say "  the safest,  and " if used properly."  I personally do not like the ideas we've bantered about.  I remember now I never did like those darn things.  I'm out!

I'll go to NMLRA's site next.

Offline flehto

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2021, 03:50:39 PM »
My 14" free standing Jet does its job of sawing out blanks and w/ the ball bearing blade guides, leaves a minimum amount of wood for the coarse rasps......why saw a blank outside  the line or end up w/ zig zag amounts of wood that have to be removed? I'd rather spend time on other things. By he way...the blade guides cost $125.

After the blank is sawn out, the sides of the  forestocks are sawn  down w/ the Jet  and some other work, I turn to the buttstock and start w/ the cheek side {including the wrist} w/ vertical hacksaw cuts approx, 1/2" apart roughly outlining the cheek piece and use a flat 1/2 inch chisel to remove the wood between the cuts...... its amazing how fast one can  roughly shape this side of the stock. The lower  edge of the cheek piece is done w/ a mitre saw and then another cut w/ the mitre saw along the toeline removes the block of wood underneath the cheek piece. .......I'm probably not the only one that roughly shapes the cheek side as described above......Fred

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2021, 03:29:37 PM »
One of the lines Hershel House uses in his video is " Well I use this because I do this for a livin'."  Otherwise he'd be using hand saws.  He is referring to his bandsaw.  I agree that used properly the bandsaw is a wonderful tool.  I wonder if they have a laser or flash that makes one aware of a moving part.  That saw moves so fast it seems not to be moving at all.  And yes,  I may be making too big a deal out of this,  or not. 

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2021, 03:43:35 PM »
I don’t find a bandsaw any more dangerous than a table saw or skilsaw though I suppose the data may not bear that out. Keep your fingers away and the guard/guide down close to your stock. One thing I will say is that if you are not ‘handy’, if you have two left feet and are all thumbs, you should probably hire the work out. My father in law would be hard pressed to borrow a screwdriver from me as I know he will either end up in the ER or put a hole in the Sheetrock that I’ll have to mend. 

As far as safety goes, keeping the guide down as seen below sure goes a long way.

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2021, 07:47:08 PM »
makes one aware of a moving part.  That saw moves so fast it seems not to be moving at all.

First, if you're not comfortable around bandsaws that is totally respectable, they didn't have them back then and got by just fine so they're not required. If you have a Woodcraft nearby you could sign up for a bandsaw class or get private lessons from them if you wanted to. Or just use a handsaw.

It's pretty obvious when the saw is on. You can see the blade is spinning and can't see the individual teeth, you hear the hum of the motor, I'm pretty sure some models have a light up on button, and that's if you have a really nice one. If you have a piece of junk like the one I am currently looking to replace you can't not tell it's on.

Many of them are designed with a on button you can remove when not in use to prevent unauthorized access. When changing out a blade or making adjustments unplug the saw from the wall and  keep the plug near you while working, plugs have an uncanny way of plugging themselves back in, it's almost always the fault of shop gremlins.   

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2021, 11:58:53 PM »
I like using bandsaws, my two son's use mine with supervision and the youngest is 11. Follow proper safety rules and it is perfectly safe and effective for what it was designed to do. My one concern is the gentleman in the video putting on a theatrical performance with his saw. Tools and guns alike are serious business and if you can't treat them as such when you are using them someone is going to get hurt.

Every year I have a couple hundred students go through my classes and we use bandsaws in our program for some projects. Safety is always discussed and stressed throughout. Most of these students are freshmen coming from highschools with little or no shop experience. Despite that in 20 years of doing this I have only had one student injure themselves on the bandsaw. I will spare the gory details but it was bad one and an object lesson in how badly a bandsaw can injure you if not used properly.

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2021, 05:04:03 PM »
"...but it was bad one and an object lesson in how badly a bandsaw can injure you if not used properly."

I consider my work habits a step above the norm.  Safety first and safety last.  I've stopped jobs because of safety issues.  I don't consider the bandsaw inherently evil or even unsafe.  I consider my attitude toward them the problem.  I've not been trained in the use of a bandsaw.  When I was a child we had a group of butchers that were friends of my folks.  A few of them had digits missing and perhaps that has stayed with me.  I do like that guard/guide,  I was not familiar with that safety item.  I'll say once again,  I am not saying the bandsaw isn't a terrific tool.  The idea of my safety is my concern.  Push a handsaw the wrong way while not wearing gloves can cause plenty enough of an injury.  I'll look into a wood working course near me that uses a bandsaw, I always feel safer with additional training. 

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2021, 06:10:39 PM »
You can always use a jig saw (AKA saber saw) but it has to be a good heavy duty one. I have a BOSH JS470EB and it is a joy to use. I called the company to ask if this model can saw 3" hard maple and was told with the right blade it would be no problem. There are two styles of this jig saw here is a video of the product - <https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/jig-saws-js470eb-34519-p/>. I have a 16" Grizzly bandsaw that I use for most of my stock cutting but I do find lifting up a 3" X 22" X 66" maple plank on the bandsaw is a bit awkward so I use the jig saw to get the rough shape of the stock out of the plank. Hope this helps some.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2021, 07:49:56 PM »
   Going off topic a bit, but only slightly as this seems to have turned into saw safety. There is a company that makes a table saw that WILL NOT cut fingers off. They have videos where someone puts a hot dog on a board and tries to cut it in half. Saw cuts just fine then stops the instant it touches the hot dog.

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2021, 08:02:40 PM »
   Going off topic a bit, but only slightly as this seems to have turned into saw safety. There is a company that makes a table saw that WILL NOT cut fingers off. They have videos where someone puts a hot dog on a board and tries to cut it in half. Saw cuts just fine then stops the instant it touches the hot dog.

SawStop

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2021, 10:13:39 PM »
Yep,  you are right Bill.  I back with a choice between Jet and Laguna.  I just watched perhaps another 25 videos on the use of the bandsaw.  No classes near me to attend so 2nd best choice is the videos.  I'll get back to you.

Online mikeyfirelock

• Built 1st gun in dorm room at college
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2021, 04:19:09 AM »
Hmmmm.......I’ve been thinking about getting a bandsaw, but after reading all these posts, my old, worn, frame saw is looking better and better.    I still have all my extremities, and I get a lot of exercise.
Mike Mullins

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2021, 02:28:02 PM »
ALL motorized tools MUST be respected and can be immoral and unapologetic during the amputation of a finger or whatever.
Wood working tools run at speeds far exceeding that of metal working tools.My old metal cutting bandsaw has a gear system that I keep at about 180 feet per minute.It has been at that setting for the 50 years I have owned it.Bench grinders in most shops are fast
and old American made ones can come up to full speed almost instantly and I have two of them made by Rockwell and one from Harbor Freight that's a bit slower on winding up.It has a Jacobs chuck on the right side with a polishing drum in place and the two
American made ones have extension shafts on both sides that carry polishing/mild abrasive expanding wheels that are very useful.
Bob Roller

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2021, 04:05:04 PM »
You can always use a jig saw (AKA saber saw) but it has to be a good heavy duty one. I have a BOSH JS470EB and it is a joy to use. I called the company to ask if this model can saw 3" hard maple and was told with the right blade it would be no problem. There are two styles of this jig saw here is a video of the product - <https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/jig-saws-js470eb-34519-p/>. I have a 16" Grizzly bandsaw that I use for most of my stock cutting but I do find lifting up a 3" X 22" X 66" maple plank on the bandsaw is a bit awkward so I use the jig saw to get the rough shape of the stock out of the plank. Hope this helps some.

I also use the same Model BOSH jig saw and find it will cut maple planks with no problem, though not as fast as a bandsaw.  I'm glad I resisted the urge to spend considerably more money for a band saw and bought the BOSH jig saw instead. 

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Jeff Durnell

« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2021, 05:16:28 PM »
I have a Craftsman Professional 14" bandsaw that I bought new about 22 years ago. They haven't made it for many years, but I've seen them on Craigslist on occasion. It has a 1.5 hp motor and is very similar to the 14" Jet, Delta, Grizzly, etc. I put Carter bearing guides on and it was a great improvement. Next is the Carter quick release tension arm. I have it, just haven't taken the time yet to install it.

I make longbows and recurves and sometimes saw logs, big rough osage staves, etc and while that saw eats them up pretty good, there have been times I wished for a bigger and more powerful saw. But just sawing out gunstock blanks is a breeze for a 14" saw... assuming it has a good blade and is set up well.

If I was to go buy one now, I'd look at Jet and Laguna.

Keep an eye on Cragslist. Some people buy woodworking tools with the intent of using them, then barely do, and sell them for about half of what they paid for them new. I got several of my shop tools that way.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2021, 10:10:13 PM »
I have a Craftsman Professional 14" bandsaw that I bought new about 22 years ago. They haven't made it for many years, but I've seen them on Craigslist on occasion. It has a 1.5 hp motor and is very similar to the 14" Jet, Delta, Grizzly, etc. I put Carter bearing guides on and it was a great improvement. Next is the Carter quick release tension arm. I have it, just haven't taken the time yet to install it.

I make longbows and recurves and sometimes saw logs, big rough osage staves, etc and while that saw eats them up pretty good, there have been times I wished for a bigger and more powerful saw. But just sawing out gunstock blanks is a breeze for a 14" saw... assuming it has a good blade and is set up well.

If I was to go buy one now, I'd look at Jet and Laguna.

Keep an eye on Cragslist. Some people buy woodworking tools with the intent of using them, then barely do, and sell them for about half of what they paid for them new. I got several of my shop tools that way.

You are correct Jeff. Many people get "the bug" and buy tools they use maybe twice and then find that they really don't want to be a woodworker or whatever so they sell it. I bought a 6" jointer like that for a song and dance . The guy wanted to get into wood lathe turning and just wanted the jointer out of his garage so that he could get the lathe. All the early cast iron machines were very good machines and solidly built no pot metal or thin sheet metal they are a good buy IF you can find them at a reasonable price.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2021, 05:39:24 PM »
In spite of my safety concerns I wanted to thank all contributors to this thread,  your input isn't wasted.  I use these threads to sort of think out loud and bounce my ideas around.  I still believe a Jet bandsaw is in my future.  I watched a video on bow making recently,  just to get another perspective on shaping wood.  The two young men were strong looking guys and seemed to get their daily or perhaps weekly workout using the draw blades.  I'm guessing there is twice as much wood to remove on a gun stock than the bows they were working with.  I've been retired for several years now and cannot do as much work as I had been able to.  I don't think I want to ruin my chances of completing a rifle due to excessive shaving,  and the muscle soreness to follow.  Frustration comes in many forms and quitting is a horrible thought to me.  I've watched more videos on bandsaws,  and using bandsaws.  I could handle them of course.  I'll get the one I feel safest with.  When is the best time to buy a bandsaw,  i.e. any special times during the year where money can be saved?

Offline LilysDad

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2021, 07:36:41 PM »
One advantage over a table saw is, A bandsaw doesn't kick back.

Besides keeping the guard down, the other thing is to keep your fingers out of the line of the cut. Some folks will try to force the cut faster than it wants to go. Sometimes a soft spot will let the stock jump ahead faster and the blade will bite you. If your hands are off to the side, there's no way you can get cut.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2021, 12:02:26 AM »
 First off the bat, I’ve seen more fingers bobbed  with a band saw than any other type of power saw. I worked in a wood shop that specialized in decorative folding screens and we did a lot of the detail work on a bandsaw. The problem with band saws is the blade is going deceptively fast, and the work is generally quite detailed. You get concentrating on the detail, and forget about the blade, and Shazam, you can’t count to ten anymore.
 I would get at least a 12” bandsaw that parts are readily available for without learning a foreign language, and waiting six months. JMO.

Hungry Horse

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2021, 11:18:53 AM »
Hey guys,  let's just accept the fact that tools can be dangerous and accidents happen. Period!  I've done plenty of dangerous jobs from commercial fishing to walking pearling high above the ground,  and crawling all over the outside skyscrapers in Mahattan... and then throw in 40 tears of commercial plumbing. Let's talk about daydreaming...Hangovers...arguments with the Mrs... those are dangerous things to bring to the job.  Focus is the key and safety first.  I'm buying a bandsaw and more equipment as I see fit.  Any salesmen that are here that sell these things,  I am not bashing any tools and probably should not have mentioned My fears.  Dang boys let it go,  Bandsaws would have been used by the 'founding fathers of the long rifle', if they had them. 

Offline BrentD

« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2021, 03:35:05 PM »
I'm late to this thread.  I have a Delta bandsaw with the extension, and I would NOT recommend it to anyone for several reasons.  But I might sell it to someone. :)

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2021, 07:33:29 PM »
Used to have a nice ShopSmith, and loved using it.  But one day about 40 years ago, in a moment's inattention, I bobbed the end of my right middle finger.
Felt like a sledgehammer had hit my finger!  I asked my wife to bring me something that would work for a tourniquet; she brought me a beach towel.
Told her to run over to another Ranger's house, see if they would watch my daughter while we went to the ER.  While she was gone, I ripped off a 1" wide strip of towel and tied off the finger.
At the ER, they fixed it up a bit, and told me to see the orthopedic Doc first thing in the morning.
So, in the morning I went to the Doc.  Coincidentally, my wife had an appointment at the OB/GYN - she was complaining of bladder problems.  The two offices were about 50 yards apart, so whoever got done first would go wait on the other one.

That Doc probed, plundered and ruinated my finger, then wrapped it all up.  As luck would have it, I was done first, and went to wait on the wife.
You ever been to an OB/GYN's office?  It is FILLED with wimmins, most of them pregnant, and all of them looking at you like, "You're one of those #$^&&$& that got us this way!"
Made my way over to the little window, and told the receptionist that I was her to meet my wife, and she looked at me and said, "Oh, Mr. Wilcox, you are going to be a Daddy!"
I looked at her and said, "I've already got TWO of the little $^@$^^&'s", and fainted!
Not the best reaction.  So be careful around saws - they make babies come along.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2021, 08:50:03 PM »
This is a great thread.  I, too, am in the market for a bandsaw.  But I REFUSE to buy anything made in China.  All the Grizzly stuff is Chinese as is the Rikon stuff.  My research suggests that the Powermatic, Jet and Laguna products are made in Taiwan.  I can't find a U.S.-made product so I will probably settle on the Laguna.

Best Regards,

JMC

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2021, 04:26:51 AM »
Definitely watch local sales and Craigslist. 

I snagged a delta.  Guy was upgrading.  He took ridiculously good care of his shop.

The saw is known to be a pretty decent buy...I wanted something decent but don't have a ton of use for it so I didn't wanna spend a ton.  Came on a shop fox which alone was worth about half what I paid.