Author Topic: ramrod extensions interfere with accuracy?  (Read 9084 times)

Offline ScottNE

Re: ramrod extensions interfere with accuracy?
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2021, 01:15:50 AM »
Personally I don’t think it looks goofy, I actually prefer it — can’t really say why, I guess I’ve always been under the impression that that’s how it was done in the old days so it holds an indefinable appeal — looks the way it “would have should have” looked. I prefer a coned muzzle for perhaps the same reason — we can debate whether coning impacts accuracy but as long as the loss isn’t drastic I’m willing to accept it in the interest of doing it how they did it. I tend to plink, i shoot at 100 yards generally and if I can pop gallon jugs I’m content. A man who is looking for cloverleaves will no doubt be more rigorous than I and less likely to trade accuracy for coned muzzle. To each his own, I say.

Practically, as I cut patches at the muzzle, it can be an inconvenience if the rod is left in the groove. But if I’m at the range I can take out the ramrod and lay it aside so it’s no bother, or if I keep my knife sharp enough, I can cut the patch towards the rod without cutting against the rod itself.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2021, 04:12:23 AM »
Just how far back can anyone actually date a picture of a southern rifle with the extra long rammer? 1880s-1890s? I don't see any advantage to the practice unless you have a permanent mounted wiper, then the extra length was a handle for wiping and loading.
Psalms 144

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2021, 03:37:15 PM »
I seem to have touched a nerve by using the word goofy.

It's the first one that came to mind. I could have been kinder.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2021, 04:27:52 PM »
LOL.  The rod sticking out looks normal to me but I'm in E. TN and my focus is rifles made in the mountains. 

Just my opinion so take it for what it is worth.  Small powder charges coupled with small caliber ball does not take up a lot of bore space.  So you don't have a lot of ramrod left to hold on to once you seat the ball.  If you are loading and shooting in the field it helps to have a little extra rod sticking out to grip.  Also a lot of these Mt. rifles only have a rod.  No ramrod tip to screw in a jag.  I've seen a couple that just have a grooves cut into the rod to grip a wiping patch. 

Cheers,
Ken

Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2021, 07:02:33 PM »
If you actually hunt in the bush with a rod sticking out the muzzle, be mindful of catching it on a branch ortree and breaking it off at the pipe, or splitting the stock at the cross pin.
The further it sticks out, the more chance of catching it on something.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2021, 07:33:45 PM »
My rods are flush with the muzzle.  Even so, from time to time, the rod ends up jutting out past the muzzle, and gets scorched by the fire ball at the shot, and I don't like that.  So my rods are flush.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2021, 02:53:44 PM »
Good mornin all. I havent seen my idea expressed as yet. Bein as it is early in the day,and I havent had my evening toddy, this Might make sense.lol
 I am certain most of you have had this experience. If you will look at fullstock rifles in general, most are finished at the muzzle with one of two styles.
the ones with oval type, the rr groove is usually trimmed back about 3 inches ,to facilitate grasping the rod and pulling out, without having the rod protruding past the muzzle. This helps us old arthritic guys, and some of us when younger with big ol meat hooks.
The other type, mostly on rounded foreends,doesnt usually have the undercut, and it is more difficult to get hold of the rod unless the rod is a bit longer than the barrel.
I have built several of both types,shot our woods walk with both, and have experienced the drawbacks/benefits of both. And hunting with a long rod catching everything but the game we are after ,especially in the Eastern woods, just aint a fun event.
I always look hard at all the SMR originals that pass thru here as to the muzzle treatment/nose finishing,just for this detail.
NOW, as my nickname/native name is RedBear, I be gettin hungry as said Bear, Time for some coffee and a bizkit.
Have a wonderful day bros and sis. Ol Bear gwin to feed. 8) 8)

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2021, 03:23:25 PM »
My thoughts are as most things done were done for practical reasons and as it seems the long rods are most often seen on the guns of those who obviously spent sun up to sun down with their hands on a plow, hammer or shovel, it could have been a ‘thing’ due to carpal tunnel syndrome or the stiff hands of a man who spent 18 hours a day with something heavy in his hands. I can’t imagine a big old ham fisted farmer would trade symmetry for simple ease of use. I know before my own carpal tunnel surgery my squirrel gun which was shot 50x per week on average found it’s rod an inch longer than it used to be….
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 03:28:22 PM by Bob McBride »

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2021, 06:41:29 PM »
I find an inch or so helps with pulling the rod, particularly with gloves on when hunting in cold weather.  Also mostly use a loading block when hunting so balls are
pre-patched which eliminates the need to cut at the muzzle.  My short starter has the ball head flattened on opposite sides so it carries easier in the hunting bag and will slide by the rod extension.  It all works well in the field.  As far as looks, my rifle has aged far better than I, although I do have a few years on it.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2021, 07:55:19 PM »
I just thought I would mention that, over the years of going to matches, and looking over other folk's guns, I have seen more than a few which did not have the ramrod cavity drilled out deep enough , causing the rod to extend beyond the muzzle.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2021, 08:30:16 PM »
If you actually hunt in the bush with a rod sticking out the muzzle, be mindful of catching it on a branch ortree and breaking it off at the pipe, or splitting the stock at the cross pin.
The further it sticks out, the more chance of catching it on something.

I've snagged my rammer in the woods just because it wasn't seated fully-maybe out 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch. Absolutely no way I'm going out to hunt with an extended rammer. It would make more sense at matches where the vines and briars aren't crowding the train. Also, as Taylor notes, I don't like muzzle blast scorching of the rammer.

Of course honeysuckle didn't get here until early in the 20th century, but that we had plenty of NA native vines and briars BITD I'm sure.
Hold to the Wind

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2021, 12:56:26 AM »
Except for the 1st two which are somewhat current, I wish I could jump in the "way back machine" and just ask them. Some are really out there. Guess my thought is if it worked for those boys it will work for you.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2021, 01:14:34 AM »
They only work in Tennessee/Kentucky, or perhaps only in Tennessee/Kentucky where they are necessary. :o
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 05:40:27 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2021, 02:35:07 AM »
Except for the 1st two which are somewhat current, I wish I could jump in the "way back machine" and just ask them. Some are really out there. Guess my thought is if it worked for those boys it will work for you.[/url]

If we could go back in time and let them know just how darn silly we thought their long ramrods looked they’d probably just clip us on the forehead in mid sentence with their silly looking deep crescent buttplate and roll us in the ditch where we’d be found by the schoolmarm the next morning still sporting duck lips and our best disapproving look….

Offline Timberdog

• Starting Member
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2021, 05:09:00 AM »
I need a LIKE button for Cades Cove Fidler, and Bob’s comment has me cracked up chuckling! 😂 🤣😂😂! 

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2021, 03:19:36 PM »
3rd picture up from bottom. One ramrod is too long and one is proper. Why? If the proper one works. Why have one longer?

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2021, 03:24:09 PM »
I have several longrifles with rods protruding 1"-2" past the muzzle. They're easier to get a hold of, especially in wet or cold weather when the rod may swell up.
Mark

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2021, 03:33:43 PM »
 ;D ;D... Well, Pete,.. might not be a rammer in that one at all,... !!! ... old Uncle Levi most likely just held the rifle gun up to allow the curious tourist to get a photo,... maybe was in the act of swabbing the barrel and just laid the stick aside,... betcha the rammer was the proper hand's length past the muzzle,... !!!... regards,... CCF ??? ???

Offline Ross Dillion

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2021, 03:47:06 PM »
I leave my ramrods long but not a hands width. Is that the norm?  I use my ramrods for all loading and cleaning duties and the extra length sure helps especially if I have to pull a ball or have a tight cleaning patch. Everyone at my club seem to use a range rod. I don’t even own one. I even saw a guy carrying a range rod at a woods walk event in Illinois. Didn’t understand that at all.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2021, 03:53:51 PM »
;D ;D... Well, Pete,.. might not be a rammer in that one at all,... !!! ... old Uncle Levi most likely just held the rifle gun up to allow the curious tourist to get a photo,... maybe was in the act of swabbing the barrel and just laid the stick aside,... betcha the rammer was the proper hand's length past the muzzle,... !!!... regards,... CCF ??? ???

Your answer has maybe's and might's. Mine shows a picture. :)

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2021, 04:08:56 PM »
I leave my ramrods long but not a hands width. Is that the norm?  I use my ramrods for all loading and cleaning duties and the extra length sure helps especially if I have to pull a ball or have a tight cleaning patch. Everyone at my club seem to use a range rod. I don’t even own one. I even saw a guy carrying a range rod at a woods walk event in Illinois. Didn’t understand that at all.

Long is not the norm today because of aesthetics and because of the theoretical danger of snagging of a long rammer in thick brush (you have to get into thick brush for that to happen BTW) and though there was thick brush in 1840 the folks were likely smart enough to go around or carry their rifle backwards when needed. I don’t use a long rammer but I have experimented with them and have come to the conclusion that it is overall easier on the hands to load, especially the final seating, with an extended rammer, and that was likely 100% of the reason it was done.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2021, 06:10:58 PM »
Bob: first of all I know we are all glad you are back up and running (well walking slow). I agree and your wisdom once again shows through.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Banjoman

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2021, 06:21:07 PM »
Folks did a lot of things different back in the day than we do now like load directly from a horn.

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2021, 09:05:28 PM »
I think Bob was right.  One look at their outfits pretty much tells you they don't care what "looks right"

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2021, 09:16:44 PM »
Rods that stick way past the muzzle do get tangled up in the bush.  A quick check through the safe today showed only two rods protruding past the muzzle.  One was 1/4" longer and the other was 2/5" past the muzzle.  And both rods were switched from another rifle.  I usually have the appropriate jag with me when I shoot or hunt.  If a rod stubbornly resists my attempt to pull it out I screw in the jag for a better grip.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.