Author Topic: Percussion Era Powder Horn - Where Was It Made?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Percussion Era Powder Horn - Where Was It Made?
« on: June 04, 2021, 01:32:34 AM »
I recently acquired a percussion rifle ca. 1840 with its original powder horn... still with its old leather strap. Here are several pictures of the horn so you can see what it looks like. It has a low dome walnut end-grain plug with 11 small steps turned into it. Small nose flat for iron staple is 13/16" in diameter.
Measurements: outside curve 11-5/8", inside curve 9-7/8", plug OD is 2-5/16" and plug is 3/4" high. Where do you think this little horn was made?

Shelby Gallien

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Percussion Era Powder Horn - Where Was It Made?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 02:04:58 PM »
 The butt is similar to a Southwest Virginia horn shown on page 359 of Dr. Hopkins' book
"Bone Tipped & Banded Horns Pt I" but with fewer rings and different tip.

Tim

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 06:10:07 AM »
Tim, thanks for the response. I probably should have posted better pictures to get more attention. The reason for posting was that this horn has always been with a percussion era early 1840s "H Ledford" stamped full-stocked rifle with patchbox from Davidson Co., North Carolina. The rifle and horn are in untouched condition. I thought it was significant to find a percussion era powder horn with its rifle partner, and the rifle by a well-known NC gunmaker. But I also wanted to see if anyone could tell this was a NC horn, since without rings or bone tip, it gets more difficult to know. Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 08:49:16 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Carper

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 10:08:12 AM »
It is similar in construction to this south western VA horn. The drawer pull was added later. The staple either broke or rusted off. Made around Civil War.

picture or photo

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 08:32:02 PM »
Shelby,
It is my opinion that Bee-hive horns like this can be found in Virginia,  North Carolina,  South Carolina,  Georgia,  and Tennessee.  I think it is largely a Southern feature, not just from one state. As early golden age rifles show features that make them easier to identify which school and state they are from, so do the earlier powder horns, The later horns tend not to have applied tips and bands that help to identify origin.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 08:03:49 AM »
Michael, I totally agree with your comments, and would throw Kentucky into that mix on these percussion era horns. Just nice to find one still with its rifle, so we know where "home" was.  Shelby Gallien

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 12:19:09 PM »
Here is a KY example.  Not a true beehive, but maybe the vestiges of that style.  Came from near Danville, KY.  (Or at least ended up there). 

« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 12:28:20 PM by Top Jaw »