Author Topic: Toe plate, to do or not to do.  (Read 5447 times)

Offline Kmcmichael

Toe plate, to do or not to do.
« on: June 04, 2021, 02:12:17 PM »
I am nearing the completion of my Kibler Southern Mountain rifle. It seems everyone adds a toe plate. I am on the fence. I guess I should have ordered one. I want to shoot the gun but have enjoyed the project and would like it to last a little longer. I want something rather simple. I have read that the TOW plates are a little too narrow?

What say ye?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Toe plate, to do or not to do.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 02:20:23 PM »
I purposely did not put them on the 3 Kibler Moiuntain rifle kits I did but if you want one by all means put one on. I would just find a small piece of mild steel and make one to suit your taste. If you have to, go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a short piece of mild steel, probably the thinnest they have.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 02:52:16 PM »
I completely agree with Dennis. Find a pic of an original or contemporary of the appropriate style that you like and make it from mild steel stock from Lowe’s. Easy peasy and will be much nicer and more enjoyable than a premade piece that still has to be custom fit and is no easier than a handmade one.

Offline flehto

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 03:34:22 PM »
Sheet steel 1/16" thick would be fine for your toeplate. Simplest would be approx. 4 " long and just a simple rectangle w/ 2 scews ......Fred

Offline Spalding

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 04:29:19 PM »
Here’s the plate I made for my Kibler, 1/16” steel. Just wanted to protect that area of the stock.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 08:02:11 PM »
I put this one on my SMR for a little bling;

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 09:45:26 PM »
If you do not do it you'll always wish that you had  :o

Offline duca

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 11:12:23 PM »
If you do not do it you'll always wish that you had  :o
Lol, Agreed!!

Anthony
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Yazel.xring

• Ethan Yazel ILoveMuzzleloading.com
    • I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2021, 04:21:50 PM »
I think the rifle is pretty fragile at that area. I added one to mine.

The shape is modeled after my dog, will add engraving this summer.

Hi, I’m Ethan and I Love Muzzleloading

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Offline Clear Spring Armory

• Clear Spring Armory FaceBook Page
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 01:19:26 AM »
Maybe a piece of bone or horn. A little different and add a bit of color

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 05:47:17 AM »
I purchased a plain flat-ended, steel  toe plate from Muzzleloader Builder's Supply  (or Track maybe?). It takes little work but adds a lot of strength and gives the rifle a more finished look I think.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2021, 06:35:06 AM »
Not that it makes it any more correct but as long as we are talking about a Kibler kit, here is the toe plate Jim installed on the rifle he built for me.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2021, 10:52:48 PM »
Those sharp, fragile stock toes make me nervous when they're bareback.  They seem to conciously seek out things to break a chip off them.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Not English

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 05:20:54 AM »
Fred's got the right idea. If 1/16" makes it hard to find. It is the same measurement as 16 ga sheet steel.

Offline TDW

• AF&AM, DORIC LODGE #53, Past Master
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2021, 09:07:55 PM »
I decided to make my SMR kit as a close copy of the Whitson rifle in Randal Pierce's "Kentucky Rifles of the Great Smokey Mountains". I couldn't find a toeplate that was the exact shape I needed, so I fabricated one from an old piece of strap hinge!

It turned out pretty well.
Tom

joshbruce128

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2022, 03:01:13 AM »
Question for the experienced folks...

Say a fella wanted to add a toe plate to a finished rifle, would that be something possible or since the wood had been stained and sealed, would it not match up?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2022, 03:09:15 AM »
You can do it but it is far far easier to do before the stain and finish go on.  If you put one on a finished rifle, you cannot file the steel down with the wood, otherwise you'll end up re-finishing the stock.  Just removing the wood where the toe plate will be cuts through the finish on the4 sides of the stock, but that isn't as problematic as dressing down steel and wood together.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

joshbruce128

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2022, 03:15:40 AM »
You can do it but it is far far easier to do before the stain and finish go on.  If you put one on a finished rifle, you cannot file the steel down with the wood, otherwise you'll end up re-finishing the stock.  Just removing the wood where the toe plate will be cuts through the finish on the4 sides of the stock, but that isn't as problematic as dressing down steel and wood together.

And you would have to refinish the whole stock, or just touch up the area you cut through the finish? Thanks for the advice, newbie here

Offline Fly Navy

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2022, 07:05:21 AM »
I like toe plates and was going to add one to my 40 cal SMR. However after looking at the stock I really liked how the woods grain wrapped around that area and decided not to cover it up.

Birddog6

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2022, 12:54:42 PM »
I am nearing the completion of my Kibler Southern Mountain rifle. It seems everyone adds a toe plate. I am on the fence. I guess I should have ordered one. I want to shoot the gun but have enjoyed the project and would like it to last a little longer. I want something rather simple. I have read that the TOW plates are a little too narrow?
What say ye?

Do both. Shoot the rifle while you are waiting for the toe plate from Jim Kibler.  Or make a plate from a piece of metal.  One thing I will mention, don't make it thicker than the edge of the buttplate. If you do it draws attention from the rest of the rifle & looks awkward, IMHO.  I have built dozens of rifles & every one I have ever built I shot it before it was finished.  I have killed several deer with rifles in the white.  I have a .54 cal Lehigh smoothbore I killed 2 deer with it in the white, in two dif seasons. It got set aside for other builds. Next thing I know a year has passed & it's deer season again so I took it again. The rifle don't know the  difference.  ;)   

Another thing I will mention, when ya load a Tenn style or Mtn rifle with a long toe, rest the buttplate on the arch of your foot, or make a rounded & carpeted loading block to rest the buttplate on while loading. (Piece of 4x4 works good)
If you load it allot while resting the buttplate on concrete & forget to Lean it Over on the heel of the buttplate, or if it hits a large stone you can't see in the dirt &  don't have that toe off the ground, you will most likely be repairing the toe wood, toeplate or not.

I know a guy that broke his 4 times before he figured out it was from loading it at the gun club & the shooting places are all under a long covered concrete slabs.

I may as well add, most shoot that style rifle off their Biceps, not their shoulder. You don't pull it in tight into your shoulder, like you do a big bore rifle to handle the recoil.  If ya do that long toe will be jabbing ya all the time. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 12:57:50 PM by D. Keith Lisle »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2022, 04:45:10 PM »
I don't think that a toe plate really helps the durability in this region much, if any.  As long the buttplate is inlet well, you shouldn't have any problem.  Toe plates can look cool, though.  Another note...  1/16" is very thick.  Most original mountain rifles I've seen were made of much thinner material.  I would say 1/32" tops.  If you start with something like 1/16" and then bevel it off flush with the stock on an angle it even looks thicker.  Just some things to consider.

Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2022, 04:48:17 PM »
Fitting metal parts to a finished stock or vice versa is difficult.  It can be done, but in order to have good success, you need to have skill and patience. 

This is one thing that drives me crazy... For some reason, some people will finish their metal parts before assembling a rifle.  A really bad idea.

Jim

Offline flehto

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2022, 04:41:26 PM »
On my Hawken, I used 1/8" thick steel for the toeplate because the sling swivel is riveted  to  the toeplate which has 3 long screws attaching it. While elk hunting a sling is used a lot and my Hawken weighs 9 lbs  and this sling/toeplate arrangement has worked fine.....Fred

msw

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2022, 09:33:46 PM »
i ordered a TotW blank to try on my new .4 SMR.  My last SMR is wearing a bloodwood insert with some horn on the side... looks cool, but probably way too much 'bling' for an SMR.

I, too, am on the fence, leaning toward the 'not' side, but we'll see as the build progresses.

Offline mgbruch

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2022, 07:04:51 PM »
If you wanr a toe plate, for whatever reasons, then add a toe plate.