Author Topic: Two new combinations complete  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Bull Shannon

Two new combinations complete
« on: June 06, 2021, 02:16:23 PM »
First off, I did not make any of this gear or accoutrements, just bought what I thought would go together and eyeballed everything. I'm probably making plans for things that will never come about but so be it. If worse comes to worse then someone will have a chance to grab some decent gear from my estate sale.

Anyway, hope these pictures show the nicer details. One set goes with my Virginia rifle and the other may go with my Bown reproduction or one of my smoothbore trade guns.

You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline DougS

Re: Two new combinations complete
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 02:26:13 PM »
Great looking set!

Looks like they belong together.

Can you give details and information on who made each item?

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Doug

Offline old george

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 12:42:00 AM »
Very nice set. They belong togather

george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 08:18:50 AM »
Thank you for the compliments. The first set is a bag by Chris Crosby, a rifleman's knife by  Dan DiStefano and the horn was made some 12 years ago by Austin Walker.  The horn strap is by Travis Buare/Second Chance at History.

The second set is a bag by Travis/Second Chance, knife is made from an old file, forged into shape with a curly maple handle. I don't remember who made it but it wasn't by a bladesmith. The horn was made for me 7 years ago by someone whom I will decline to name as I do not like what made as compared to what I wanted along with what he charged me.

Anyway, both horns are airtight and function quite well. I've used them both although the Austin Walker has seen much more use.

I'll try and post a picture of my rifles later.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 01:12:59 AM »
It sounds like you need to replace that second horn so it doesn't bug you each time you use it.  Just a thought.  God Bless,  Marc

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 01:22:21 AM »
It sounds like you need to replace that second horn so it doesn't bug you each time you use it.  Just a thought.  God Bless,  Marc
It's not that it bugs me all that much, it was just a bad experience with the maker. Promises made but not fulfilled and still charged a premium price. It works fine and has powDER in it even now.