Author Topic: Sorting out Mier signatures on Somerset Co. PA rifles  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Dietle

• Pennsyltucky native
Sorting out Mier signatures on Somerset Co. PA rifles
« on: June 06, 2021, 03:28:05 PM »
These are the maker signatures on two different Somerset County, PA rifles. I suspect that the barrel signature on top must be Jacob or John Mier of the town of Somerset, given the place name “Somerset”, which is where they lived. The lock bolt plate signature on the bottom is much different in the shape of the first initial, and the shape of the “M”. Does anybody have a Sam Mier signature or another Jacob or John Mier signature to compare it to?

Here are links to rifle photos:
https://korns.org/gunsmiths/J-Mier-rifle-1242020/J-Mier-rifle-1122020.html
https://korns.org/gunsmiths/Mier---1242020/Mier---1-12-2020.html

Offline Bill Paton

Re: Sorting out Mier signatures on Somerset Co. PA rifles
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 08:40:59 PM »
Dietel,

Here are images of an S Mier O/U. Others are available if you need them.

Bill Paton

Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Dietle

• Pennsyltucky native
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 11:26:37 PM »
Thanks, Bill.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 02:35:41 AM »
THAT is a cool rifle!~ :o
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 06:43:34 AM »
The book "Gunsmiths of Bedford, Fulton, Huntington, & Somerset Counties" by Jim Whisker illustrates in multiple views a fine, signed Samuel Mier rifle on page 118. The barrel signature reads "Sam Mier Somerset ? " with the last two letters unreadable [to me] and perhaps "Co." The capital script "S" in both his name and the county name are very similar to the script S on the side plate, and the last names are almost identical as well.

I think the large print "S" on the double rifle may be a later "correction" for the lost original script first initial. If you blow that picture up, you can see a couple of dings in the barrel iron under the print "S", with the S cut through the dings rather than being damaged by the dings. It suggests the print "S" was cut well after the dings were put in the barrel, and probably added later to replace a missing or damaged first script letter.     Shelby Galllien

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 08:12:59 PM »
Shelby, you have valuable observations. I have been bothered by the style discrepancy between the “S” and “Mier” on my double rifle, and your points are well made about that. Thanks.

Any other “S(am) Mier signatures would be of great interest in sorting all this out. Do any of you other ALR Forum readers know of Mier signatures you could post?

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Dietle

• Pennsyltucky native
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 01:27:14 AM »
Thanks, Shelby. I'm beginning to think that sinuous engraving pattern on the barrel may a pretty good indicator of a Sam Mier rifle. I've seen it on two so far.

UncleBob

Offline copdoc

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 04:06:36 AM »
I posted some pics of what is thought to be a Sam Mier rifle with signature here over 10 years ago. It  looks like the pics are no longer there.  I'll take more of the signature if it helps.  PM or me if they are not posted in a few days. I cant find the old pics.