Author Topic: Comparing Modern Production 'Hawkens' with actual Hawkens: For Dummies  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
I posted this ad in the For Sale/Wanted section. This thread is for thoughts, ideas, tips, or insights regarding what is called a 'Hawken' and what is a 'Hawken' and how a video series might be useful to beginners.

So, being back on my feet-ish, I'm planning a video series on BPTV on the well known currently produced Plains/Hawken type guns focused mainly on comparing them against one another and comparing each of them against an accurate copy of an actual Hawken as well as a short series on the Hawken itself. This series is not meant to be a treatise but more a guide to education the beginner on the differences between this or that 'Hawken' and an actual Hawken and perhaps how close they can get for x$. As part of this project I will be picking up a GPR, TC/CVA Hawken, a Uberti, a GRRW Hawken, etc. and a higher end bench copy of a extant Hawken. This is a several month project as I have lots of research to do, but I thought, well, lets see about starting to collect the guns I'll need for the series.

That said, I'm looking for an accurate contemporary Hawken. A St Louis Louie P would be my first choice but a Selb, Dawson, Browner, or similar would also do. I'm not sure what I'm looking at here but let's call it $4-$10k.

I'll start a thread on the Contemporary sub as well asking for advice from you pros.

Offline BigAl52

• Starting Member
As a subscriber to the channel and owner of quite a few Hawkens including some GRRW Hawkens I will be watching and enjoying what you present. Hawkens are my gun of choice. Also its good to see you are recovering from your recent health issues.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
Bob, do you have the new Hawken book from the NMLRA
by Robert Woodfill? It will answer many of these type of questions.
TC
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
TC

Hey TC, I don’t but Alyce-James PMed me and highly recommended it. ‘The Hawken Rifle’ I think it is. I’m ordering it tomorrow.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
As a subscriber to the channel and owner of quite a few Hawkens including some GRRW Hawkens I will be watching and enjoying what you present. Hawkens are my gun of choice. Also its good to see you are recovering from your recent health issues.

Thanks so much Big Al.

Offline Stillwater Dan

Howdy Bob. Sure am glad to hear this news. I am also one of your subs and can't tell ya how much I enjoy your videos. This series sounds like a good one as many of us were drawn to front stuffers due to the popularity of the Hawken style rifles. when I was a kid you weren't cool unless you had a T/C Hawken. We all wanted to be like Jeremiah Johnson. Heck I still have a soft spot for them and pick one up here and there at auction still.

Offline Craig Wilcox

Bob, so glad to hear that you are back home and "on your feet-ish".

I will offer to referee between Wayne and you for the DVD Hawken.  As you are still recovering, I'll grant you the first two falls.

Winner is the first to get 2 out of 3 falls.

Oh NOOOOO! Bob wins without even getting up a sweat!

Looking forward to seeing some of the videos resulting from you trying them all out.  If I had a Hawken, I'd just plain give it to ya.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Bob, so glad to hear that you are back home and "on your feet-ish".

I will offer to referee between Wayne and you for the DVD Hawken.  As you are still recovering, I'll grant you the first two falls.

Winner is the first to get 2 out of 3 falls.

Oh NOOOOO! Bob wins without even getting up a sweat!

Looking forward to seeing some of the videos resulting from you trying them all out.  If I had a Hawken, I'd just plain give it to ya.

Lol. I couldn’t beat a banana out of its peel right now, so the ‘Thrilla in Vanilla’ will have to be postponed until next year. Being second in line for a HH is like being 80th in line for your share of a pickle.

Offline BigAl52

• Starting Member
TC

Hey TC, I don’t but Alyce-James PMed me and highly recommended it. ‘The Hawken Rifle’ I think it is. I’m ordering it tomorrow.

Where did you order it from Bob?

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
You can order here or from the author directly.

Offline madmtmike

I received the book last week; now I understand the difference between a hooked breech & a patent breech.
madmtmike

Offline Marcruger

Hey Bob,  John Bergmann in TN has also produced some fine Hawken style rifles, and might be a useful resource.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
I wonder if they’ll have a copy up at headquarters at Friendship? We just got to Madison. I’ll check tomorrow. That would be nice.

Offline recurve

You most likly did this already BUT reach out to "Herb "here , He has examind several more historical hawkens and reproduced the same he is a Hawken guy

Offline Herb

Thanks, Recurve.  I have offered Bob McBride a free loan of my two bench copy Bridger Hawkens and a Kit Carson Hawken.
Herb

Offline ScottH

Bob,
 Good luck with this project!
I have a Bergmann plains rifle with a Hoyt barrel .54 cal that tapers form1 1/8" to 1" at the muzzle.
Wish we were closer but I'm in Washington so loaning it to you is problematic.  :(

Offline smokinbuck

Bob,
I like what you are doing re the Hawken rifles. Although not like some, I thought I'd show you my Ken Netting Hawken. All hardware was done by Edson Meyers, Deer Creek. The barrel is 1"X34" in .50 caliber by Bill Large.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 03:39:22 PM by smokinbuck »
Mark

Offline Yazel.xring

• Ethan Yazel ILoveMuzzleloading.com
    • I Love Muzzleloading
Great idea Bob, can’t wait.

Did you get the contact info for Bob Woodfill? He wrote the book and is a wonderful man. Phones are hard for him, but he loves email. Happy to put you two in touch.
Hi, I’m Ethan and I Love Muzzleloading

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Great idea Bob, can’t wait.

Did you get the contact info for Bob Woodfill? He wrote the book and is a wonderful man. Phones are hard for him, but he loves email. Happy to put you two in touch.

No I don’t have his contact info. I’ll touch base once I get a handle on what this project will look like. The book is great. I’m really enjoying it. Hope all is going well with you Ethan.

Offline tippit

I tried to order the book but it says out of stock. My two Hawkens...

Brant Selb .54 

John Bergmann .47 Cal

Offline madmtmike

tippit, I have a 54 Selb rifle exactly like yours.
I like your Bergman rifle as well; it looks nice & light.
madmtmike

Offline tippit

madmtmike,
I like both the Selb & Bergmann...but the Bergmann comes in just under 8 pounds (nice to carry) with plenty of fire power for deer hunting with the Hoyt .47Cal. barrel...tippit

Offline madmtmike

madmtmike,
I like both the Selb & Bergmann...but the Bergmann comes in just under 8 pounds (nice to carry) with plenty of fire power for deer hunting with the Hoyt .47Cal. barrel...tippit

I agree. I'd like to find one like that.
Regards.

Offline Jeff Murray

sounds like a great idea.  The book was a fun read.  My first love is flint, but my 58 Bergman Hawken even impresses the centerfire boys if I pump it up to hunting loads.  The Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody has a nice collection of originals, as does Jim Gordon's museum in New Mexico.  You could throw in the Museum of the Mountain Man in Wy. and Museum of the Fur Trade in NB and make a great road trip out of it.   Plan carefully on your Wyoming leg if you do it.  The Chamber warns prospective travelers to be cautious about the hazards of little traffic, few people and dangerous levels of fresh air.

Offline Bob Roller

Bob Woodfill's book on the Hawken rifle is a good one.I bought one and our oldest son,Rob took it to Texas with him.
I made some locks for Brant Selb early in his Hawken making days but he switched to Davis I think but those locks
are closer to the type used in the 1800's than mine.
Bob Roller