Author Topic: Another .25 caliber question  (Read 4239 times)

billd

Another .25 caliber question
« on: September 25, 2009, 08:40:24 PM »
Could someone who has a .25 with a Rayle barrel please measure the diameter of your cleaning jag?  I have everything done and ready to shoot except a way to clean it.
Thanks,
Bill

Daryl

Re: Another .25 caliber question
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 07:43:41 PM »
Bill- just use the step-down in size you use for any other barrel.  About .020" should work just fine.  Something that might work even better, is to pick up a .22 or 6mm cal. bore brush, 8x32 thread and merely wrapp your patch around that. A nylon brush would work fine and be easier to change patches on than a bronze bristle brush.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 07:43:56 PM by Daryl »

Lord Calvin

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 02:28:04 AM »
 For my .25 l took a .32 jag and chucked it up in my drill press and filed it down.  Wasn't much left, but works like any other jag.  l have yet to figure out how to make a small enough patch puller. l lost one once and had to dis-assemble the gun.

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 05:28:26 PM »
A size 8x32 wood screw tht screws into a rod tip should work just fine as a patch puller.  I use a 10x32 screw in my .32 as a patch puller and have had no difficulty removing 'stuck' patches with it. the 'flat' end of the rod is used to pack the patch down against the plug, then the screw is run it, turned a couple times and out comes the patch on the screw.

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 03:42:31 AM »
I would think you can buy a .25 caliber jag at a modern gun store???
Centershot

billd

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 03:46:12 AM »
Centershot.  Your probably right but it would be pointed and made for pushing, not pulling. And making your own is part of the fun.
Bill

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 05:35:49 PM »
Centershot.  Your probably right but it would be pointed and made for pushing, not pulling. And making your own is part of the fun.
Bill

Many of the jags available now have ribs for hgolding the patch, as well as a pinted end for piercing a cloth patch, then allowing it to drop off at the muzzle, the only correct way of cleaning a modern rifle with open breech or removable bolt.  It is pretty simple to file off the pointy thingie adn end up with a jag for holding patches.  This is what I use in the .40 and .45 rifles- the same jag for both. The .40 uses 1 patch, while the .45 uses 2.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 06:34:29 PM »
Bill--how long is your barrel? If it's 44" or less (mine's 44" for this reason), go to Midway's site and search for "cleaning rods." You'll be presented with a LOT of options up to 44". I have a modern coated rod that I use as a range rod and for cleaning. That little wooden rod doesn't need to take a lot of use that way.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 08:45:46 PM by Daryl »
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West