Author Topic: Help ID two old MLs if possible  (Read 1571 times)

jubylives

Help ID two old MLs if possible
« on: June 05, 2021, 04:11:18 AM »
I hope the pics show up.  Bought these two for $100.  Just looking to see if anyone can ID these. The curiosity is killing me.   Jeremy

jubylives

Re: Help ID two old MLs if possible
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 04:15:38 AM »
One lic of the two as a whole.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 05:54:11 AM »
Both look like 1950s to 1960s guns put together from old and then-current parts when there wasn’t much available.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 07:11:44 AM »
I agree the top rifle is a recent fabrication with new stock, but the second rifle is different. While it obviously has some new parts, i.e. back action lock, it appears to be a cut down [lost outer ramrod and a foot of original forestock and barrel at muzzle end], original southern TN rifle. Note the front side facing originally had a front action lock, now filled, with the modern back action lock added much more recently. The triggers and butt architecture are reminiscent of guns made by Alfred Bearden down in Lincoln Co., TN. Not his work, but some similarities. Brass mounts were used on later percussion guns ca. 1850+ from that area.  Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 11:46:34 PM by Tanselman »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 09:48:15 PM »
 I pretty much agree with Shelby. But, I will congratulate you on your photographs. It’s been a while since we got any photos that don’t include a wood pile, or brush pile, or some other incredibly busy background that obscures everything that extends beyond the edge of the guns general outline. Oh, and best of all no toes of a world class pair of ugly shoes. Keep up the good work.

Hungry Horse

jubylives

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 10:26:00 PM »
Thanks for the insights.  I really was buying the nicer of the two but he threw the other in too just to get rid of it.  While being hacked up I do like the ingenuity it tooled to cobble it together.  Thanks for the compliments on the photos. I always have an urge to print off a picture off a nasty big toe and put in in there somewhere.  Lol.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 04:10:14 AM »
Its gotta be da shooz, y'all !!! hahahaha.. Toddy time !!! Dave  :-* :-*

jubylives

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 05:06:56 AM »
What?

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 04:21:50 PM »
Welcome to the forum, jubylives. We get a little loose here sometimes.
Quite a few pics of rifles and such include mostly manly footware. Sometimes big ol funky feets.
Enjoy your time with us.
Best regards Dave  8) 8)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 03:37:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum, jubylives. We get a little loose here sometimes.
Quite a few pics of rifles and such include mostly manly footware. Sometimes big ol funky feets.
Enjoy your time with us.
Best regards Dave  8) 8)
Most guys here have Hobbit feet.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 05:27:15 PM »
  Jubylives, Now I consider myself a shrewd buyer. But that there was one super deal..!!
An you got two nice guns. Beck the lock on one is worth that...
Ya did good an welcome..
Oldtravler

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 08:40:36 PM »
Agree the first one is a new stock, but the barrel and lock look old.  The ramrod pipes are absolutely Ted Cash (my first full time job, many years ago).  The trigger guard and triggers look kind of Thompson Center to me.  Still, can be a nice shooter, and isn't unpleasant to look at.

As others have said the one with the back action lock looks like an old gun, but with a newer L&R lock set in.  I don't think I've ever seen a back action lock set into a stock that originally had a front action lock.  Quite an effort by the the "gunsmith" to pull that off. 

$100 bucks for the pair is a great buy. Congrats and welcome to the forum.
Done right is better than done fast.