Author Topic: Lepage lock and trigger  (Read 1340 times)

Offline sdilts

Lepage lock and trigger
« on: June 15, 2021, 03:49:41 AM »
A friend has asked me if I could build him a Lepage flintlock pistol with a set trigger. It sounds like a fun project except where in the world can I find an appropriate lock and trigger? So far, I've had no luck in my searches.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: Lepage lock and trigger
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 05:29:28 AM »
A few years back, I queried Pedersoli about their set trigger. I was quoted $350. Went another direction.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 08:29:42 AM »
I looked into a LePaige and made one of these instead.   I did not use a set trigger.  IF you tune the lock and make the trigger right you can get 2-3#.  That is plenty good to stay in the 10-ring.  I am not aware of any quality single set triggers that one can buy. 

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 06:35:25 PM »
Larry Akers makes a single set trigger that might work in your application.  You might check with him on it.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 09:20:26 PM »
That trigger requires it be set before cocking pistol. 

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 01:12:38 AM »
That trigger requires it be set before cocking pistol.
That’s a common trait with pretty much all single set triggers that I have seen.  Are there any out there that don’t require to be set before cocking the lock?

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 05:01:41 AM »
I don't know what all is out there.  His trigger is nicely made. 

To me it looks like if a mainspring travel limiting screw were present it would work without setting the trigger first.  I'll probably make one at some point to explore the idea.

I consider setting the trigger before cocking unsafe, so I chose to go another route.  Lots of people think it is just fine. 

Offline sdilts

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 01:27:53 PM »
I've used Liston Rice's (https://www.buckridgeflintlocks.com/) single set trigger on a couple of rifles and even though they state that the trigger must be set to cock the lock, with some careful filing you can get it to cock without setting the trigger.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 02:00:43 PM »
I saw one by R.E.Davis that looked like it did not have to be set but don't know if it
was produced or not.Log Cabin now owns Davis so maybe a call to them might find out.
In the late 1970's and early 80's I made a few but have no plans to revive them.
Bob Roller

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 08:30:30 PM »
Many years ago, I made a percussion pistol for a freind, using the LePage single set trigger, guard, patent breech and lock sold by TOW.  This was back in the last century and I'm sure they no longer carry those parts.  The trigger cost nearly $350 then...but the pistol is a tack driver, and its owner is difficult to beat.  The trigger does not have to be set prior to cocking the lock.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline sdilts

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 03:14:30 PM »
Well, I guess I'll have to go with some sort of Lepage-ish thing. Got to decide on a lock now.