Author Topic: Another Accessory  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Feltwad

Another Accessory
« on: June 12, 2021, 12:20:40 PM »
Came across this accessory which I think is part of a soldiers kit when in the field I believe it to be a Flint knapping tool , it is 5 inches long with a serrated hammer head ,on the opposite end is a screw driver also a pin for tighten the top jaw screw of a flintlock musket and a touch hole cleaner that has lost its point . This is what I think it is  maybe some members will  have a different idea

Feltwad

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: Another Accessory
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 04:21:34 PM »
It does appear to be just what you describe Feltwad and another function could be as a short starter. Heck, maybe the first short starter evidence that many have been looking for. any possible date associated with it. Very cool, thanks for posting it.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Online Daryl

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 03:14:20 AM »
Very interesting indeed and likely exactly as you described it, Feltwad.
The serrations/grooves on the hammer may help or be effective in knapping as well, either with a twisting motion, or striking.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline draken

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 10:18:00 AM »
Pretty certain the small hammer was for freshening the flint without removing it from the lock.    Vent picks though somewhat bulky in appearance would've probably performed well enough in guns whose vent was simply a hole drilled in the side of the barrel.

Just my two cents

Dick
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 12:07:25 AM »
Enclose is a image too show its size in comparison  to a shotgun powder flask

Feltwad

upload a photo on internet

Offline Kevin

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 02:32:19 AM »
Greetings Everyone,

"maybe some members will  have a different idea"

One possible alternative:  the hammer might be a "snowknocker" used in tending to horses hooves and shoes (removing bullt-up snow, ice, etc).  Dropping "snowknocker" into your favorite search engine should return some results.  The picks could come in handy for such purposes as well.

For your consideration,
Kevin

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 05:35:54 AM »
Interesting item. As for a short starter there is already documentation of their use by some of the western mountain men at rendezvous of them. They were called a "bulger" so a search of short starter might not find much.

Offline Badenpowell

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 04:31:09 PM »
Very nice and useful piece of kit for a soldier. I believe you are correct in your assumptions, Feltwad. I cannot help but wonder if the serrations on the underside of the hammer are simply decorative filework by a blacksmith who took pride in his skill.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 04:34:46 PM by Badenpowell »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 05:42:58 PM »
I’ve got one of those. Someone suggested they may be Middle Eastern or North African. Dunno.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 12:20:05 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Einsiedler

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 12:48:31 AM »
Reminds me of a farriers combo tool.

Similar to the "snow knocker” mentioned above.