Author Topic: Bear season opens today  (Read 5319 times)

Offline bob in the woods

Bear season opens today
« on: September 01, 2009, 07:35:58 PM »
Wish me luck. I'm off to hunt bear this afternoon.  I will be using my .54 flinter.  Also taking the 10 bore
Chambers New England fowler as back up. It never fails to add strength to my backbone when bears are about. ;D

BrownBear

Re: Bear season opens today
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 08:28:45 PM »
Sounds like a great day all around.  Best of luck!

Looking for advice and not being critical, but how are you going to carry both?  I'm in bonified brown bear country and would welcome backup, but have never found a reasonable way to carry it.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 09:37:32 PM »
Good Luck!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 09:57:17 PM »
My friend has bears on his property. We hunt from the ground, but try to find a comfortable spot to sit.
N.E. fowler will be on the blanket beside me. We have called bears in before. It is really something to see one stalking you. [ rabbit calls work]  I leave in 15 min.

Jeff Peters

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 05:33:50 AM »
Good luck
The 54 flinter does a nice job
Post some photos
Jeff

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 04:29:51 PM »
Bob,  Using a call makes it even cooler, what ever the game might be. I hope there is a good story in the making, best of luck to you.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 12:57:57 AM »
Well, my friend got a shot at a 2 year old, which ran as he cocked his rifle. Boy that "click" is loud in the bush. He missed !  Last couple of days the temp has soared into the 80's so we stayed home.
Hopefully we can get back at it Friday.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 02:31:06 AM »
Gotta hold that trigger back as you cock it ;D

Where I live bears come to "cow calls" etc. But they generally have humped backs.
I may try calling a BB anyway this fall. Have several in the valley south of here and they transplanted the bad Gbear to some enclose of some sort.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

rdillon

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 12:46:55 AM »
Well, my friend got a shot at a 2 year old, which ran as he cocked his rifle. Boy that "click" is loud in the bush. He missed !  Last couple of days the temp has soared into the 80's so we stayed home.
Hopefully we can get back at it Friday.

I remember that loud "click" very well.  I shot a Black Bear in Maine a few years ago from a tree stand.  When I came to full cock the "click" stopped him dead in his tracks.  It's now or never!!!  When the smoke cleared the 120gr of 3f and 2 round balls did the trick!!  The bear was only a little 225lb er but didn't go more than 50yards.  Both round balls when in the same hole going in.  Right behind the shouler.  On the way out they split, one went into the opposite shoulder and the other one went right thru the chest.

Very damaging for a 50cal! ;D

Want to hunt those "Black Ghosts" again someday.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 01:43:00 AM »
What is really cool, is that even on a still day, you don't hear them coming in. Last time I saw one, I was watching.....and then he was just there!  No warning. Turn your head, and suddenly he's there.
It is spooky. My friends think I'm an idiot to go out after them with my flintlock.

eseabee1

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 05:46:23 AM »
The only thing I always think about is when you are at the range or shooting on a woods walk you never know how loud that click is but when game comes infront of you.. you might as well smash to garbage can lids together because that is what it sounds like then...

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 09:13:26 PM »
Good luck Bob - I've long wanted to hunt B. Bears with a spear and a sword  :o- that would be exciting and called-in bears would be best for that. ;D

Leatherbelly

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 11:08:09 PM »
I got a spear(lance) I'll lend ya!

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 01:12:16 AM »
I carry my Bess bayonet.  Does that qualify?  ;D

Daryl

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 02:55:30 AM »
I have a Bess plug bayonete but it's a bit short for lopping off the head. Needs be a good blade - like a hand and 1/2 Bastard Sword or perhaps a two handed claymore killing sword.

Burgess_rudy

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 11:53:29 PM »
We haven't heard anything in awhile. Bear must have eaten Bob.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 12:10:46 AM »
Got one. A young male, just under two hundred pounds. Already in the freezer. There was absolutely no fat on him at all. We are still at it. Next one, I'll try and post a photo.