Author Topic: Carving examples  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Hutch

Carving examples
« on: June 17, 2021, 07:58:56 PM »
Good morning everyone, sorry for what I'm sure is a repeat post.  Most the old links are dead.  I'm just seeing if anyone knows of some good examples of carving, I'm trying to decide what style I like still.  I do have a few books at home, was hoping to find something online I can browse while I'm stuck in a meeting today 🤣

I haven't found an example that I just absolutely love just yet.  For reference I'm working on a kibler colonial and the plan as of right now is to have a buddy at work with more experience than I am likely to ever have do the work.   So far the stuff Jim has done is what I'm liking best.  Then again I'm debating on leaving it plain and letting the wood shine by itself. 

Thanks y'all!

Offline Frozen Run

Re: Carving examples
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 08:32:06 PM »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 08:34:47 PM »
Scroll through our library of originals. https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=21.0
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hutch

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 08:37:13 PM »
I've been looking around on here.  Just so many dead links it seems.  There's so much information there, I'll keep digging lol!

Offline Kevin

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 09:55:13 PM »
Hutch,

Maybe something understated but still classic?

For your consideration,
Kevin

Offline Hutch

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 10:14:56 PM »
I do like that! I'm definitely wanting simple.  Hard to describe what I have in my head I guess lol!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 10:27:28 PM »
I've been looking around on here.  Just so many dead links it seems.  There's so much information there, I'll keep digging lol!
If you find dead links you’d like revived please specify which ones and we will work to restore them. To my knowledge, we restored most to all links in the museum section.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hutch

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 10:29:59 PM »
I found several in there.  I didn't wanna post and start digging up old threads.  I can definitely make a list as I go through the pages though and get back with you. 

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 12:59:45 AM »
Hutch,

Maybe something understated but still classic?

For your consideration,
Kevin

One of the best "simple" carving designs that I've ever seen. Thanks for posting it!

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 01:05:37 AM »
I think you’ll find that “simple” carving is not as easily executed as one might think.  The same goes for incised carving.  At least it’s very difficult to change or hide mistakes.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Hutch

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 03:35:44 AM »
I worked on the stock tonight and I think it's sanded to my liking finally.  I wiped it down with some cleaner and the wood is just gorgeous! I'm really leaning towards no carving and just letting the wood do it's thing.

Offline blienemann

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 05:26:25 AM »
Here is a similar example of simple but nice carving behind the butt, plus nice carving at other locations. Bob
https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/_A__A_GOOD_CZECH_FULLSTOCK_JAEGER_RIFLE_BY_ECCART_-LOT510790.aspx

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 08:25:13 PM »
When I built my Chambers' Virginia rifle, I was in a hurry to get it done, so chose a simple carving pattern, and this is what I came up with.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.