Author Topic: Questions about beadwork  (Read 673 times)

Offline lost arrow 801

Questions about beadwork
« on: June 18, 2021, 09:05:29 AM »
Hello everyone. I hope this day finds you well. I was looking at some old post on the clr blog and was happy to come across the work of the late Chuck Burrows again. This man was a master and his work is inspiring. I would like to make an attempt at some beadwork my self.
My question is . is there a way to age these beads to give off this amazing appearance?

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Questions about beadwork
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 07:33:13 PM »
 The real trick is to find proper colored bead in the first place. Different Native American groups showed preference for certain bead size and color. Many beads today are made in countries that did not produce glass beads in the 17th through the 19th century’s, so their beads reflect a more modern color palette. A good example of this bead color difference can be seen when viewing beadwork done with beads commonly called greasys. These beads are usually semi-transparent, and have a subdued color pallet.
 Common seed beads were much rarer in early times than what is commonly called a pony bead. Pony beads should not be confused with what today is called a crow bead which is larger and not period correct.
 Aging beadwork can be achieved by mixing masonry tint powder, and artists acrylic flat clear, to about the consistency of mud. Brush it lightly onto the finished beadwork, being careful to keep it off of the leather. When it is almost dry, rub the beadwork with a course piece of cloth to remove the color on the higher surfaces, but leaving it in the recesses between the beads. The coloration of this mix should lean more towards the black, than any lighter brown.

Hungry Horse

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Questions about beadwork
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 08:32:44 PM »
You can spot Chuck's work a mile off.  He was an incredible artist and very talented man.  He is missed. 

Sincerely,
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.