Author Topic: A North Bucks Lehamptonvalleyspring rifle  (Read 4385 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
A North Bucks Lehamptonvalleyspring rifle
« on: June 19, 2021, 02:19:23 AM »
Hi,
A few year ago I posted a rifle I called the "Star of Bethlehem".  It was based on RCA #52 and came out pretty well but I was never happy with it.  The red maple stock had wonderful figure but was difficult to carve because it was soft in spots. But most importantly, I obtained good photos and dimensions of the original and realized I made some mistakes.  Mine was too skinny.  So I decided to make another RCA #52 with much better data and turn the Star of Bethlehem into a nice early Buck, Lehigh, Northhampton gun with a little Christian's Spring thrown in.  I changed the trigger guard, made a new muzzle cap, reworked the stock to slim it down even more, and added a slightly more obvious step at the wrist.  I reworked all of the carving finding the wood polymerized by the old finish to be better to carve!!!!  I also reworked the lock.  It is a Davis Colonial American lock.  I was happy with it on the original gun after working it over a bit but after changing the architecture of the stock a bit, I remembered Jim Kibler's comment on my original rifle that the flintcock and frizzen were too big.  He was right of course and after I changed the architecture of the stock, the original flintcock looked like a giant rooster over hanging the pan and the frizzen way too tall.  I discovered that the flintcock on a Chambers early Ketland lock is a perfect substitute only requiring a little filing of the square hole to fit it.  I then ground down the frizzen and reshaped it. I really like the results and the lock is now superb and perfectly fitted to this gun.  I also cut moldings on the edges of the plate and flint cock.  I am now satisfied with this rifle and will build an RCA#52 in the future.  The barrel is a 1980s Getz barrel in 62 caliber and "D" weight.  It was not a good barrel requiring me to lap the bore to keep it from shredding patches and remove machining marks 6" from the muzzle.  It now shoots very well.  The trigger pull is just 1.5 pounds. The thimbles, muzzle cap, trigger, toe plate, sights, inlays, and side plate were hand made by me.  The stain is ferric nitrate and the finish is Sutherland-Welles polymerized tung oil tinted with red and yellow dyes.

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
Re: A North Bucks Lehamptonvalleyspring rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 02:47:43 AM »
Man, that's nice.  Take an already sweet gun and make sweeter.  Great job!!

Offline scottmc

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 03:25:41 AM »
Very nice rendition, Dave!  That tung oil finish looks beautiful.   How many applications?

Scott
Remember Paoli!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 03:56:48 AM »
Nicely done, I really like the way it turned out.
Andover, Vermont

Offline EC121

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 04:30:14 AM »
Really nice!!  I like those big calibers.  I call them pumpkin rollers.
Brice Stultz

Offline tfornicola

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 05:17:08 AM »
Very clean, detailed work. Lovely rifle. Really love it--Tom

Offline FALout

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 02:55:35 PM »
Very nice rifle that you reworked, is the trigger pinned or is it pivoting on the plate? 1.5lb trigger pull sounds really good!
Bob

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 03:13:21 PM »
Hi and thanks for looking,
FALout, the trigger is pinned high in the stock.  Because the sear drops a tiny bit lower at full cock than when the lock is at rest or half cock, there is a tiny bit of rattle in the trigger at those positions.  However, at full cock, the trigger is under spring tension from the sear spring and there is absolutely no creep or mushiness in the trigger.  Who needs a set trigger?

dave

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 03:24:22 PM »
Very nice work Dave.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2021, 04:04:36 PM »
I like it.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Algae

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2021, 04:29:14 PM »
Absolutely beautiful!!!

Al J.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2021, 07:18:40 PM »
Beautifully made and finished rifle Dave.  What "red and yellow" stains do you add to the tung oil, and where can I acquire some?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 07:13:13 PM »
Hi Taylor,
The red stain is ground alkanet root infused in mineral spirits.  The yellow is J. E. Moser oil soluble yellow aniline dye.  The dye might have come from Woodwooker's Supply and I bought powdered alkanet root online, which came from Pakistan I think. However, I suspect Moser's scarlet oil soluble dye would work as well as the alkanet root in this application.  Also, I lightly glazed the corners and crevices with bone black, which is why some of the edges look a little "gritty".  The photos don't show that effect very well.

dave 

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2021, 03:33:22 PM »
You used the figure pattern on this stock to perfection.  In the areas where the curl becomes less vibrant, your wrist and cheek carving start- and a nice sliding wood box was added to the same on the lock side.  Don’t know if you planned it that way from the start.  But regardless- A well done layout that used this blank to its best advantage.
👍👍

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2021, 09:17:37 PM »
Hi Top Jaw,
Thank you.  Yes, it was somewhat planned although the stock was rough cut when I got so I had to adapt to the basic shape as it came.  However, I noticed throughout this stock that the curl was much more vibrant top and bottom and less so in the middle.  It lent itself well to what you noticed but I also stained the the stock accordingly.  Figure in the wood where the star is located is obscured a bit by bone black glazing, which also enhances the contrast with the star.

dave

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2021, 10:50:09 PM »
Beautiful work, Dave!!! That is one that anyone would b proud to own. Thank you for bringing it here to be admired.
Dick

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2021, 04:18:14 AM »
That is a very very nice piece of work.  I really like the overall look and finish. Nicely done  :)

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2021, 08:23:16 AM »
I, too, like the finish - both the luster and the color.

And that is the niftiest AND shining star I've seen.  Do you have a head-on picture of that star?
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2021, 12:27:42 AM »
Hi,
Thank you all for your comments and above all, your interest in my work.  Craig, I apologize.  I never responded to your request for a better picture of the star.  I attached one.  I am afraid I need to replace my camera.  It is over 10 years old and the quality of the images is deteriorating.  I can't even get the storage cards anymore.  I hate discarding things that work fine just because some format changed or there is a new platform.  However, I think it is time.  Craig, I attached some other photos showing metal inlays within the carving.  This is something of a signature for my contemporary guns.  I got tired of the usual inlays placed on the cheek piece and wanted something more artistic and creative.  So I experimented with inlays that create scenes within the carving and I even adjust the staining to enhance the imagery.  You can see in the second example how the carving and inlays are integrated into a scene.  Then below is how I inserted a cross in a John Noll design.  It all works.  The owner of the Noll rifle did not know I inserted the cross.  He is very religious and has even done missionary work.  When he saw the cross, he cried with joy.  It was one of the best days I've ever had.  I am not religious but that doesn't stop me from loving people who are. It is a lot of fun and offers a different but very pleasing look.

dave

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 12:39:56 AM by smart dog »

Offline alacran

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2021, 01:52:48 PM »
Really like this interpretation. Mostly I really appreciate your fine inlets. Also you let your imagination take you outside the bounds of schools and you came up with a beautiful rifle.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2021, 04:06:48 AM »
  Excellent work Dave..! Very impressed. Oldtravler

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2021, 07:12:45 PM »
Beautifully done rifle Dave.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2021, 06:27:07 AM »
I love the sun peeking out from the cheek rest.

Offline Christiansbrunn

• Starting Member
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2022, 05:27:25 AM »
As a former Bethlehemite, you really nailed the star.  Excellent piece of work and a wonderful interpretation.

Offline alacran

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2022, 02:34:11 PM »
That is a very nice rifle and I really like the PB lid. I have to commend you on going back to rectify things on a gun that most folks would have found to be more than fine.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass