Author Topic: Kibler’s Colonial in .58?  (Read 4748 times)

Offline Panzerschwein

Kibler’s Colonial in .58?
« on: June 27, 2021, 05:25:39 PM »
Thinkin’ on my next kit and have heard some enjoy the Kibler rifles.

How does the Colonial in caliber .58 balance? It is light enough for offhand work? I’d like one in cherry wood.

Offline smoke and flames

Re: Kibler’s Colonial in .58?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 07:08:12 PM »
Hello.  I just finally registered for this forum.
I have been shooting flintlocks since the 70's. I recently build his colonial in 58 caliber so in =answer to your question, it balances absolutely great off hand. It has a great natural feel to it. The kick using 100 grs of powder is not objectionable at all and the accuracy is great. I am shooting 2 1/2 in groups at 75 yds and I haven't even worked up a load for it yet.
I chose to keep the gun relatively simple with a minimum of embellishment even though I am capable of totally going hog wild on it. You will love the gun and the kit

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 08:15:03 PM »
Smoke and flames, looks like you did a great job with it. Show us more!
Andover, Vermont

Offline smoke and flames

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 09:35:58 PM »

Just wanted it to look like e decent working gun of the period. I am an engraver so getting carried away was hard NOT to do and keeping it simple

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 11:06:39 PM »
Beautiful job !!!  And I understand completely how hard it is not to go "hog wild" on such a canvass. 
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 12:09:25 AM »
That is a beautiful rifle and your work is beyond reproach.  I like your control with the carving and engraving; you did just enough to keep it from being ostentatious but enough to make it an elegant heirloom.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline alacran

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 12:37:56 PM »
Your engraving is superb.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 01:42:38 PM »
Welcome to the group, Smoke and Flame. Thanks for sharing this exquisite work. I look forward to seeing more of it.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 02:11:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  Engraving is smooth and crisp.  Very nice work and great looking rifle.  Thanks for sharing.

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 02:28:24 PM »
My Kibler is simple and unadorned. That Kibler is beautiful with just the right amount of adornment. Love it.
David Shotwell

Offline smoke and flames

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2021, 02:50:48 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words.
I do have to say that Jim's rifle kits are nothing short of amazing. The attention to detail and finesse in his parts makes assembling them ridiculously easy. In answering the original question I cant say enough on how well balanced the 58 cal. rifle is. It points naturally and has just the right balance for me to be able to hold off hand with ease. I was a bit worried about the weight of such a big bore rifle but not a problem. Its actually quite light for me especially compared to my ol 54 cal Ozark Mt hawken
Looking at previous posts on how different people finished his guns and made them unique to them testifies on how well designed these rifle are.
Now I truly dont need another flintlock but I must say I am curious as to what his next secret kit will be.
Thanks again and now I do have to finally figure out what to engrave on the butt plate. I've been engraving it sort of piecemeal between other jobs

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 02:51:46 PM »
 I'd hate to see "Hog Wild".

Tim C.

Offline Big Bubba

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2021, 04:34:37 PM »
Beautifully done rifle Smoke and Flames.

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 05:14:56 PM »
Jim Kibler has a Fowler coming out soon so he says.  He will keep us abreast of any news.  I've read he has a super duper ultra secret project on the burner. 

Nice touch with your rifle Sir.  It is elegant for sure.  I wonder,  did you added the toe plate?  I don't recall if he ships with one.

Welcome aboard.

Offline EC121

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 05:17:51 PM »
I have .58 Colonial, and due to the weight, I wouldn't want it in any smaller caliber.  It balances really well and is accurate.   

Brice Stultz

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 05:20:17 PM »
All longrifles for old men should be .58 or larger!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Penske

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 02:40:31 AM »
Beautiful job on the rifle, but why do all that work and not uniform the screws? Have been thinking of a Kibler colonial in .58 myself. Maybe a project this winter.

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 02:50:52 AM »
I took apart an original long rifle decades ago and found out that all the parts were match marked. This meant that each screw was marked with one notch per front two notches per second from the front and any other parts were notched front to back in the same manner. I follow this same process now in my gun making attempts and find it helps to keep me straight.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2021, 04:24:04 AM »
  Smoke an flames...that is one outstanding work of excellence..!
  Oldtravler

Offline smoke and flames

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2021, 06:16:39 AM »
I did make and add the toe plate   As for the screws  you are correct and i have indexed them since i took that photo over a year ago.  Now i need to finally engrave the butt plate as i just finished doing the trigger guard.   I also put a higher set of sights on the rifle when i built it  the original ones were too low from what i am used to using.

I wonder what the super duper secret project is

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2021, 06:29:14 AM »
Nice job decorating the rifle.  Looks great!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2021, 04:52:05 PM »
Absolutely beautiful work.  I wouldn't dare trying to embellish my rifle.  I would fester it up and have to hide it or something worse.  I have a plain walnut Kibler SMR in .45 caliber.  It shoots and handles wonderful but I swear I wish Mr. Kibler would make a Lancaster style rifle in .50 caliber and a 42 inch barrel with the weight pared down a little from the Colonial.  But I am considering a .54 Colonial.  All my shooting is offhand.

Bob

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2021, 05:23:41 PM »
Panzerschwein have you been nudged toward a Kibler kit any further? 

As a newcomer to all things longrifle one of my first decisions was to get a Kibler Colonial in 58 cal.  I'm waiting on the kit and was lucky to have had the extra time to research the building process.  I particularly chose for my first build/assemble a Kibler kit.  Why?  Well, while there are other producers,  Jim's videos swayed me the most.  I thought of all the extra time and effort he did promoting the long rifle was exceptional.  He's a young guy and seems to be a great kid,  family man,  and he took a shot.  He is well mannered and sharp as a tack.  I always root for a start up business to get some traction and grow,  and it seems that is being accomplished.  He has recently left a message that they are growing and adding a few folks on and that's always a good thing.  Perhaps we could get a spy into the mix and learn more of the insider track to the super duper ultra secret project during this expansion.  A double naught spy guy.  I wonder if Max Baer Jr. has a junior? Hmm!

In any event I wish you well in your interest Panzerschwein.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2021, 06:48:08 PM »
I found the note on marking parts interesting.  The screws go in and out of a rifle many times over the course of the build, and so need to go back into the same holes.  So I cut a file mark on the shank of my screws too...one cut for the rear most screw, two for the next, and so on.  In addition, I have a strip of maple with holes drilled and labelled to hold the screws rather than toss them into a container.  The first hole, on the left hand end, is for the rearmost toe plate screw.  I end up on the right hand end with the barrel retaining pins.  I've used this system for years, and I got the idea somewhere...likely here.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2021, 06:51:57 PM »

D. Taylor Sapergia

I like your system!
Get Close and Wack'em Hard!