Author Topic: Kibler’s Colonial in .58?  (Read 4747 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Kibler’s Colonial in .58?
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2021, 07:04:23 PM »
Screws used in rifles are in sets: the toe plate screws, the butt plate screws, the tang screws, etc.  So the rear most one of each set gets a single cut from a safe-sided triangular file, and so on.
I never remove screws from barrel escutcheons once they are seated, but file off the slot leaving a little countersink head to retain the inlay.  Just thought I'd add that.  On a Hawken rifle, there are sixteen of these, and that would be a nightmare keeping them separate, especially when one doesn't need to.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2021, 06:56:39 AM »
Taylor,
Do you happen to have a photo of your board that you could post. That is one of the best ideasi have heard of in some time. Do you label your board? Thanks for the idea.
elkhorne

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2021, 06:17:34 PM »
Like Taylor, I keep one of these on my bench. On patch boxes, I make a cardboard outline of the box, and poke holes through it with the screws in the proper position.

In His grip,

Dane

Offline mgbruch

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2021, 04:16:48 AM »
My oldest rifle is a .58 Pennsylvania.  70 grs. of 3fg, and that gun is a thumper!  I've taken three deer with it, and have yet to recover a ball.  One went lengthwise through a whitetail doe.

Offline B.Habermehl

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2021, 01:00:21 AM »
Like Taylor, I keep one of these on my bench. On patch boxes, I make a cardboard outline of the box, and poke holes through it with the screws in the proper position.

I have a pin board about 14 inches long with a sorta abstract longrifle drawn on it with pin holes located in all the normal places to keep my pins organized. I have a patchbox board also. I haven’t done a metal patch box in so long I’m not sure where it is. BJH
BJH