Author Topic: Antique cherry for rifle mold  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Antique cherry for rifle mold
« on: June 27, 2021, 10:25:07 PM »
Wanted to ask this before I forget it. I attended the annual KRA show/meeting this paste week, while wandering around looking, I saw this "cherry" (cutter. I will have to describe it since photos were not allowed plus the table holder was not there to answer my question. It appeared to be for a very small caliber maybe 32 or so. At first I thought it had two cutters to cut 2 round ball cavities side by side but looking closer it looked much like a figure eight laying on it side. The two round parts were separated as if a parting tool had started to cut them apart then stopped.

I am only guessing it was made to cut a rifle ball mold since it was in a container with other "cherry" (ball) cutters. Just wondered if it was for some type of very small bar shot, possible quick way of casting 2 small lead balls (then cutting apart after casting) or maybe the groove between the two ball was for lube or ????
Just a curiosity on my part.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Antique cherry for rifle mold
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 03:08:58 AM »
It’s hard to visualize what you’re describing. It would be interesting to see
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Collector

Re: Antique cherry for rifle mold
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 07:51:53 AM »
It’s hard to visualize what you’re describing. It would be interesting to see

Two .360 cutting cherries, positioned one over the other separated by a short, smooth, round, smaller diameter 'shaft' connecting them at 12 - 6 o'clock respectively.

One pour hole instead of two. No reason in wouldn't work.