General discussion > Antique Accoutrements

Possibles bag and accoutrements

(1/4) > >>

Shreckmeister:
I thought I’d share some photos of an interesting bag. It appears that the arrowheads were put on the bag when the bag was made due to the wear and coloration. the cap Badge was added much later. Thought it was a cool piece.  I liked the old measure as well.

D. Taylor Sapergia:
That's an interesting bag for sure.  A point of interest, if I may...those are not arrow points.  At the least they are atlatl points, and at best, lance points.  Arrow points are tiny.

mr. no gold:
And they could just as easily be knife blades. The larger biface appears to have considerable age given the patination on the surface. Nice material! Glad that you found it. And thank you for letting us see it. I agree that the measure is a dandy and likely Worth the price of admission alone.
Dick

Shreckmeister:

--- Quote from: D. Taylor Sapergia on June 28, 2021, 09:05:27 PM ---That's an interesting bag for sure.  A point of interest, if I may...those are not arrow points.  At the least they are atlatl points, and at best, lance points.  Arrow points are tiny.

--- End quote ---
   I apologize for using the generic term. What material do you think the black point is made of?

mr. no gold:
Just conjecture here, but it looks like Ohio black chert. That state was a treasure trove of materials useful to the American Indians. From high quality chalcedony, cherts of all colors to possibly even silver. The Adena and Hopewell made great use of all of these and even went so far as to import quartz in crystalline form out of Arkansas, to obsidian from Obsidian Mountain in Wyoming.
Also, the Folsom point is the quintessential atlatl point and they are quite small, as these things go. The Clovis people made somewhat larger points that are considered to have been used with the spear thrower, and there is evidence for that use in the fossil record. Most large blades however seem to have been knives. Not as romantic as we might like, but a heavy point on a heavy spear doesn't travel as far and may not have the penetration that a smaller point has
on impact.
Dick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version