Author Topic: New smooth bore shooter  (Read 2226 times)

Offline kswan

• Starting Member
New smooth bore shooter
« on: June 22, 2021, 12:24:29 AM »
So, after watching the youtube channels of some of the forum members here, I felt I needed to try some smooth bore shooting. Just finished a Fusil de Chasse like gun last week and today was the second day out. First day with 80 gr 3f, .010 patch wasn't so good, around 10 inches or so. Today by adding rolling paper to the patch and dropping the charge a bit I got it down to 4.5 inches on my last group and ran out of patches. I'm now waiting on patches to arrive to continue refining. Any extra advice would be appreciated.
- 50 yards
- .600 ball
- .010 patch ballistol/water lube
- 70 gr 3 F

Offline horsetrader

Re: New smooth bore shooter
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 01:08:36 AM »
I have been using 85 gr. 2f Goex by volume. With a .600 ball and pillow ticking .018. Shooting out of a 46" barreled fowler. Shoots 4 to 5 inch groups at 50.
Ed Radzinski

Offline Prairie dog shooter

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 05:21:02 AM »
Every gun is different, keep experimenting with powder charges and patch thickness until you find what your gun shoots best.  Then start over with shot and wad combinations until you get good patterns.  It takes a while, but smoothbores are lots of fun when you get everything dialed in.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 06:17:14 AM »
Go to the fabric store with your calipers and buy some denim (100% cotton ) the thickness you want or need

Offline alacran

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 02:37:03 PM »
Well if your group was shot offhand, it is pretty good.
Can't comment if it was benched, since I've never shot a Smoothbore off a bench.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 04:36:15 PM »
Every gun is different, keep experimenting with powder charges and patch thickness until you find what your gun shoots best.  Then start over with shot and wad combinations until you get good patterns.  It takes a while, but smoothbores are lots of fun when you get everything dialed in.

Kswan,

This is the way to do it.  PDS has given you good advice, stick with it and you'll get there.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 11:36:31 PM »
Increase your 2Fpowder charge, reduce your patch material to zero thousandths, and reduce your ball size to .595.

Hungry Horse

Offline kswan

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 01:03:39 AM »
Thanks all for the great advice. Always appreciated.

Offline Badenpowell

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 01:49:36 AM »
Yes, try FFg instead of FFFg. Bet it shoots better; maybe a bit more fouling but worth it.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 02:01:57 AM »
With a snug ball and patch combination, there is no fouling buildup with any of the granulations of GOEX black powder, from 3F to 1F or Ctg. for that matter.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline kswan

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 02:22:44 PM »
Yes, try FFg instead of FFFg. Bet it shoots better; maybe a bit more fouling but worth it.
Managed to get some FFg, better results, less recoil and fouling isn't bad at all.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 03:36:05 PM »
Increase your 2Fpowder charge, reduce your patch material to zero thousandths, and reduce your ball size to .595.

Hungry Horse

This is "bare ball" shooting and you should pack a little wadding over the "undersized" ball to keep it snug on your powder.  Takes more powder to make velocity but eliminates patches/lubes.  HH has instructed us on it a few times, but I have no gun to try it out on yet.

It's something to try once you get your PRB combo sorted out.  Then there's shot, then buck and ball.  Dang lot  of ways to shoot those smoovies.  :P
Hold to the Wind

Online wattlebuster

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 04:26:33 PM »
Managed to get some FFg, better results, less recoil and fouling isn't bad at all.

Ive got 3 smoothbores. All 3 shoot best groups as well as shot patterns using Fg. If you can get your hands on a little bit of Fg give it a go and I bet you would like the results.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Badenpowell

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2021, 05:16:05 PM »
I have never tried Fg. Very interesting.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 12:30:40 AM »
Nice gun, kswan.  I much prefer shooting patched ball in my smoothbore and haven't done nearly as much testing with shot so far.  Results with both 3F and 2F have been so similar in my gun that I simply use 3F as that's mostly what I have.  A .015" patch was found to give the accuracy I wanted with the .600" ball.  I will suggest testing other lubes with thicker patches that are snug but easy to seat.  As Daryl mentioned a snug load will keep fouling from building up.  At 50 yards I get consistent three shot groups of under 3".  Buy some ticking at Joanne's and try other lubes.  TOW mink oil and Hoppes BP Patch Lube are all I use.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline kswan

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2021, 03:38:44 AM »
Nice gun, kswan.  I much prefer shooting patched ball in my smoothbore and haven't done nearly as much testing with shot so far.  Results with both 3F and 2F have been so similar in my gun that I simply use 3F as that's mostly what I have.  A .015" patch was found to give the accuracy I wanted with the .600" ball.  I will suggest testing other lubes with thicker patches that are snug but easy to seat.  As Daryl mentioned a snug load will keep fouling from building up.  At 50 yards I get consistent three shot groups of under 3".  Buy some ticking at Joanne's and try other lubes.  TOW mink oil and Hoppes BP Patch Lube are all I use.
Thanks for the kind words and advice hanshi.