Author Topic: Side plate and lock bolt question.  (Read 6947 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Side plate and lock bolt question.
« on: September 13, 2009, 10:44:48 AM »
I've made the side plate for the practice pistol I'm working on out of 0.08" brass sheet stock. How do you "inlet" the heads of the lock bolts into the side plate?
It looks a bit to klunky with the boltheads resting on the surface of the plate.
I had planed to use a drill bit, but the point seems way too taperd for the job.

Best regards

Rolfkt
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 03:59:10 PM by Rolfkt »

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
Re: Side plate and lock bolt question.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 04:48:39 PM »
 I would use a end mill. That and maybe take a little bit off the bolt heads so that they arn't as tall.
David Veith
David Veith

Bob F

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 04:53:51 PM »
I used a counter sink to slightly inlet the screw heads into the sideplate.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 05:09:21 PM »
Rolfkt,
I ground the tip off one of my bits to make a flat face then ground a slight angle to each trailing edge making it into and end mill of sorts. After starting the hole with a regular bit just so there is a section of vertical wall in the hole to keep the flat bit from chattering off center I use the drill press to slowly take out the bevel left by the first bit. You could also use a piloted ream to do the same thing once you have your bolt hole drilled.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 05:28:33 PM »
The screw heads can make a big difference in the appearance of the sideplate area. 

If it were me, instead of countersinking the plate I would chuck those lock bolts in a drill and spin them against the edge of a file clamped in a vise to to reduce the diameter just a bit and show just a little more of the sideplate rimming them- then refile the taper the heads to the edge - the heads look a bit large as they are

On square shouldered screws somtimes used on Tennessee rifles, you often see that they would bevel the edge to reduce the thick look to the bolts.

Guy

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 06:20:28 PM »
I use a counterbore.  They are made in various sizes and I have a few for the common size lock and tang bolts.  They do a great job.  I have several with removable pilots and I make brass pilots to accommodate differing bolt shank sizes.  Clik on

http://www.mcmaster.com/#spot-facers/=3m4fhl

At the top of this page, click on counterbores and then scroll down to the middle of the page (there are four pages of info on counter sinks and counterbores.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 06:27:06 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 07:30:07 PM »
Dave,

It's been a  long time since I've looked, but are there any ready-made counter bores that you are aware of, which would cut a 3/8" head for a No. 8 screw shank.

Some time back when I last searched, I was unable to find such a critter.

Thanks,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 08:19:36 PM »
I picked up a set of 'Pilot Point Tip' bits made by DeWalt. Can't remember how much they cost but they were fairly inexpensive.

John.
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 01:49:22 AM »
Jeff,

If you go to the McMaster link in my last post and look at the top of the page, you will see a line "counterbores".  There are two pages listed after counterbores.  Click on page 2434 and then scroll down to "Changeable pilot counterbores".  You can get a counterbore that will cut a 3/8 inch diameter and a pilot that will be a fairly close fit for a #8 Screw.  I use this type of counterbore and make my own pilots whatever size I need them.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 07:43:18 AM »
Thank you Dave!

Jeff
Thomas Sowell

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 08:01:52 AM »
Rolfkt,

Unlike Guy, I like the look of the bolt heads completely covering the plate as yours do.  I think it's a matter of preference, and also what you may be trying to copy.  In the absence of the appropriate counterbore, doming the head of the bolt right to the edge may help the appearance.

But I have a curiosity question for you.  The rear lock bolt appears to me to be rather high, and most curiously, it appears to be centered directly at the point where the breech  meets the stock.  Is this actually what I'm seeing?  If so, that would seem to put it a rather awkward location.

Jeff
Thomas Sowell

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 08:38:45 AM »
Reshape the screw heads so they are thinner at the edge and it will look much better.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Rolf

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 05:22:42 PM »
Jeff,
  I'm using a GM 15/16" pistol barrel , a L&R Bailes pistol lock and a 5/16 white lightning touch hole liner. After I started fitting the parts together, I found that the Bailes lock is a little small for this barrel size and liner. The breech plug is 5/8" long. I've placed the lock, so that the touch hole liner barely clears the breech plug and the touchhole is in the middle of the barrel flat.

If I move the lock further back, the touch hole will hit the breech plug. If I move the lock down, the top of the pan will be too far below the touch hole. Ideally, I should of had a 13/16"barrel with a 4/8" breech plug. I was tempted to try and shorten the breech of the barrel, but I didn't dare for saftey reasons.

Best regards
Rolfkt
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 05:31:23 PM by Rolfkt »

Offline Rolf

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 05:28:45 PM »
Thank you all for your tips. I'll file down the bolt heads. I can borrow a 8mm (0.315") counterbore. Would that be suitable?

Best regards

Rolfkt

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 05:39:25 PM »
Rolfkt,

I think your 5/8" breech plug is the key piece of the equation, but it looks like you've dealt with as needed.  The height of the rear lock bolt may just be the angle of the picture.  The hole in the lock bolster is certainly where it ought to be.

Jeff
Thomas Sowell

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 04:04:51 AM »
I like the counter bore because a little depth hides the edge of the screwhead, leaving just the dome above the plate. The other thing the counterbore will do, especially one with a long pilot, is it makes the seat for the screw square with the hole. Then the screw sits firmly, and does not tend to tip the plate in its inlet.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Kentucky Jeff

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 05:37:33 AM »
Acer,
   You sure like scratchin' nudy girls and goat boys on your gun parts...  I'm starting to worry about you! :o ;D

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 06:03:58 AM »
Sorry, I shoulda taped them over before posting the picture.  ;D

back to the counterbore: If you have to angle a screw through the stock to avoid the rr channel, the counterbore will give the screwhead a good seat in the sideplate.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

keweenaw

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 06:58:10 PM »
Rolfkt,

Don't worry too much about whether the touch hole liner hits the breechplug.  I was recently looking at some original Wilson barrels, ca. 1771.  The breech plugs on those are only about 3/8" long and the touch holes are almost on the face.  If you allow for a liner and are starting with a 1/2" long plug, you can't get the look of the original pistol.  Unless you really want a liner why don't you have me make you a touchhole counterbore?  It would allow you to get the touch hole closer to the breech plug. 

Tom

Offline Rolf

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 05:50:10 PM »
Tom, thanks for your offer, but I've already drilled the holes in the lockbolsters and breechplugs, so I'll use the liners on these pistols.

Best regards

Rolfkt

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 09:38:53 PM »
If you have to angle a screw through the stock to avoid the rr channel, the counterbore will give the screwhead a good seat in the sideplate
Tom,
This is what causes most of those sideplate problems you mentioned before.  If the screw head is not 90 degrees to the plate, counterbore or not, one side of the screw head will hit the plate before the rest.  Tightening it further will concentrate all the torque of the head in one point, which will cause the plate to bow in that area.  When it bows, the plate will pop out of the mortise.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Birddog6

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 09:51:35 PM »
You can also cut those lil counterbores with a dremel & a small straight carbide cutting too too, if you are very careful. I have done several of them & also cut inlets in triggerplates to let the triggerguards come down further. Tedious but works . I use a dremel with a 3' flexible shaft so I just have the tool holder in my hand, rather than the dremel motor.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 02:00:42 PM by Birddog6 »