Author Topic: case colors on L&R  (Read 2140 times)

Offline BrentD

case colors on L&R
« on: June 30, 2021, 03:43:47 AM »
I have a brand new L&R Hawken lock that I am going to fit to an existing rifle.  I was debating about browning it, but then I though maybe I'd have it case colored.  Is the metal alloy suitable for that?  I do not know what alloy an L&R uses.  I should ask the same question about the cast hammer. 

Thanks,
Brent

Offline Dave Marsh

Re: case colors on L&R
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 04:56:52 AM »
Best source to talk to would be L&R..  Call them.
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 06:00:21 AM »
Is the metal alloy suitable for that?
Yes, I have done a couple using my own method.  They will take colors well.  I have not done any hammers.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline BrentD

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 06:07:51 AM »
Thanks, Dave.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 09:34:50 PM »
I THINK it may be 8620 which does take color hardening and has been used in breech plugs for Hawken and English sporting rifles.
Verify this with L&R to be sure.I know they told me their frizzens were changed to 52-100 which is ball bearing steel among other things.
Bob Roller

Offline BrentD

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 04:59:41 AM »
Thanks Bob.  That is helpful. 

I hope you are doing well.  My Rollers are still rolling along very well.  I think I have 3 of them.  The one on the Alex Henry Long-range Rifle is colored and engraved very nicely.  :)

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 04:10:40 PM »
Thanks Bob.  That is helpful. 

I hope you are doing well.  My Rollers are still rolling along very well.  I think I have 3 of them.  The one on the Alex Henry Long-range Rifle is colored and engraved very nicely.  :)
The Henry lock probably has a milled plate made from 1018 or low carbon flat ground steel and I am glad to hear these locks are all operational.
Bob Roller

Offline BrentD

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 05:55:28 PM »
Oh, it is a bit more than just operational. :)

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2021, 06:05:00 PM »
Oh, it is a bit more than just operational. :)

Can you pry it out of the wood so we can see what makes it tick or click??
Bob Roller

Offline BrentD

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2021, 12:10:05 AM »
I pried it out with a small crowbar and this is the inside.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2021, 01:05:41 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to do this.This is a rare version of this style of lock.
Bob Roller

Offline BrentD

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2021, 02:13:33 AM »
Rare or common, Bob, it shoots wonderfully and has never let me down.  Won a few matches with it too. 

Online Jimclassjr

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2021, 04:49:57 AM »
Wow that’s beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2021, 06:53:23 PM »
Wow that’s beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

I made a number of this style mechanisms for German Schuetzen rifles and I think 3 for the English style target rifles and the LAST Hawken caplock I made of the Carson style had this mechanism.This was in March of 2019,
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 09:47:34 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2021, 09:56:27 PM »
.This is a rare version of this style of lock.
So what's rare about it.  I went thru at least a half dozen of those locks and they all looked the same.  I have one in the shop now.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline heinz

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2021, 02:17:31 AM »
.This is a rare version of this style of lock.
So what's rare about it.  I went thru at least a half dozen of those locks and they all looked the same.  I have one in the shop now.
Start off by counting the number of screws, there are 3 in the bridle, not two, and the spring stirrup also has a screw.
kind regards, heinz

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2021, 02:25:14 AM »
Start off by counting the number of screws, there are 3 in the bridle, not two, and the spring stirrup also has a screw.
They all do.....That's my point.  All the locks I got from Bob look exactly like the one pictured.  So what's rare about this one.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2021, 03:25:41 AM »
They all do.....That's my point.  All the locks I got from Bob look exactly like the one pictured.  So what's rare about this one.
Nearly all the English style locks I made had the Stanton style fish tail bridle with 4 screws and the mechanism shown here was made for a German style schuetzen I was making.I probably had a semi finished schuetzen bridle on the bench and  used it to expedite the order.There is no difference in the way the locks perform and they both look good.
Bob Roller

Offline heinz

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2021, 04:08:21 PM »
T.O.F:   sorry, I misunderstood your post.  You were comparing Rollers to Rollers.  This is an unusual variation on the Roller percussion lock.   And in my defense, I think Roller locks are fairly rare today.  :-)
kind regards, heinz