Author Topic: Vent Coning Question?  (Read 10456 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Vent Coning Question?
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 01:52:56 AM »
Jimmy, buy yourself a White Lightning for study next time you have a chance. Save yourself a bunch of design work. Threaded for 32 TPI taps.

It's a parabolic curve.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 02:55:56 AM »
Like Acer says !!
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 07:44:31 PM »
I use nothing but WL liners and we all know how they look on the inside. But I also lightly cone them from the outside. Everyone.
I started doing this after modifying some factory liners to make them faster and more reliable, and the results were so good I still cone the outside.
My reasoning is this: Some of these factory jobs have a screw slot that blocks fire from the vent. I used a ball mill to open up the slot just so the fire had a better chance of finding the charge. The results were amazing. Of course I did things to the inside also so in total the effect was satisfying.
So I figured it wouldn't hurt, and might help, to have a small cone on the outside to help direct more fire into the hole.
I have fired thousands of shots through different rifles and calibers and I notice no increase in fouling with an outside cone on a WL liner.
Sorry guys, but you can't reason me out of this. Results talk louder than words or theory.
American horses of Arabian descent.